Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Holy Shield, Blocking and You! (Well, Me)

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Be the Rowdy, Sep 2, 2006.

  1. Be the Rowdy

    Be the Rowdy IncGamers Member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Messages:
    12
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Holy Shield, Blocking and You! (Well, Me)

    Hi. I made a Hammerdin, and I've reached the point where I need to start nit-picking about his stats. My goal is to have enough dexterity for 75% blocking with a Herald of Zakarum and level X Holy Shield.

    I thought that Holy Shield simply added its listed increase to my base chance to block (50% Base + 25% Holy Shield = 75% Final), but that doesn't seem to be happening. Currently, my base chance to block is 33%, and my Holy Shield provides a 20% increase to successful blocking at rank 3. My final chance to block with Holy Shield on is 47%. I was expecting 53%.

    So I thought maybe Holy Shield was affecting blocking in the same way equipment mods do, by increasing the "Blocking" value in the chance to block formula:

    Total Blocking = (Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)

    But the numbers on that didn't match up either. I'm stumped. Can anyone tell me how exactly Holy Shield works so that I can determine how much dexterity I need? Thanks in advance.
     
  2. emar

    emar IncGamers Member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,020
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    120
    Could be a calculation error in your numbers perhaps. Excerpt from the Strategy Compendium:


    It should work like that. Try the calculation again, or if it still doesn't work drop the key information here (shield block, dex, clvl) and someone can run the calculation as well.
     
  3. rynke

    rynke IncGamers Member

    Joined:
    May 29, 2006
    Messages:
    210
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    102
    hs will provide approx 35% after +skills (but will get more the more points u put into it) so use dex point until u get 75% with hs imo. if it's with zaka it's about 80 points or something, can't remember exactly
     
  4. Yerba

    Yerba IncGamers Member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2006
    Messages:
    188
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    86
    Base Block from shields and magical Block bonuses are calculated additively towards your total Block%. All magical bonuses, such as those from items, are calculated in the same way as the bonus from Holy Shield.

    So simply adding your Plus Block from items to your Base Block should give you your total 'Blocking' value in the equation. If the numbers didn't work double check your figures.

    Remember, the Base Block from your shield is not the blue number displayed on the inventory screen, it is a static number assigned to all shields; those number can be found on Arreat Summit.

    To double check you calculations, a Google search of 'd2x/1.11 blocking calculator' will turn up a simple javascript based calculator that is easy to use.
     

Share This Page