Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Holy Moley-Frenzy barb is breaking the bank!!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by lpblasch, Sep 1, 2006.

1. lpblasch

lpblasch IncGamers Member

Holy Moley-Frenzy barb is breaking the bank!!

My Frenzy barb is now level 40, in normal, and the cost of repairing his swords is astronomical:
    One run in WSK with Bloodletters= 10-16k to repair.
    One run with Heart Carvers+18-26K to repair.

Normally gold is not a factor for me, because you can find armor/orbs/ etc to pick up and sell, but in normal they aren't worth much.

So, what's an effective set of swords that won't be so costly?
    Coldsteel eye ?
    Carinte Vomir @ lvl 42?
    Ginters Rift, because it repairs (but low damage)?
    Headstriker?

I could use some advice from Frenzy players here before I go bankrupt:undecided:

2. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

Another idea is to also use the rune recipe to repair your weapons. I believe the price is an Ort rune and some manner of gem...I shall link in a moment.

[edit] Ort Rune + Weapon = fully repaired weapon (including charges on weapons) - hey, there's an idea. Try an Ort rune and two Bloodletters and see if it'll repair both :wink3: [/edit]

3. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

I think it'll only do one at a time, so it'll take you two Orts to repair your weapons. I'd actually suggest Butcher's Pupils at that level. They're pretty fast, have nice DS, and there aren't any repair costs. Even without points in axe mastery, they'd probably do better for you to build up EXP. Add some CB gear and you should be fine until at least the end of NM.

4. lpblasch

lpblasch IncGamers Member

Thanks, I have a couple Butcher's so I'll go get them.
    What do you recommend for late NM and Hell weapons?

5. JihadJesus

Well, I personally went with Schaeffer's Hammer and a Stone Crusher, but it sounds like you have points dedicated to sword mastery already?

If you don't have any points allocated, I'd just look at the two best weapons you have available or can easily get that are of the same class. One of them needs to be fast (fast base speed, with quite a bit of IAS), and the other off-hand weapon should just hit hard (high damage, CB, slows as molasses is fine).

The lower-level elite axes are pretty easy to find - Razor's Edges drop like candy for Meph runners, and they should get you through the game. The same is true of mace-class weapons - Nord's Tenderizer and Baranar's Star would both be suitable, and are fairly common from Meph.

Unfortunately, the unique swords are kinda crap for Frenzy outside of Azurewrath (which is tough to find and has a clvl 83 req). Runewords would work there ('Oath' would be good in an eth sword, probably a Crytpic sword for the speed as a main weapon, and it's not terribly expensive), but I don't know what your rune state is like. 'Cresecent Moon' could be decent also with the ctc Static Field, but the damage is really low.

6. barren

barren IncGamers Member

I used butcher's pupil until hellmode around level 70, they're very awesome weapons and can carry you the entire way if you're poor. I have actually tried dual azurewrath and they aren't that great. The best high end fury combo without resorting to runewords is schaeffer's/stormlash for the crushing blow and static field. I still haven't actually pat'ed a fury barb, even though I'm working on my 4th :embarassed: Hopefully 4th time's a charm!

7. jrlafrance

jrlafrance IncGamers Member

I've done a Frenzy barb with Lightsabre and Doombringer, and that seemed to work just fine. My wife did one with dual Lightsabres, and she said that that was the funnest character she has ever played.

8. JihadJesus

I suppose that's true - there are good options, especially offhand. Those swords are a lot harder to find than the one-handed maces/axes though, and he seems to be on a budget. Actually, I've been considering making a sword/mace combo frenzier myself ('Oath' cryptic + Schaeffer's) once I get my PvP wolfbarb up and running.

9. Fists of Legend

Fists of Legend IncGamers Member

Quick clarification, when looking at your screen the off-hand weapon is the one on the right, correct?

Don't mean to high jack. Just want to make sure I know what is been said.[/end high jack]

10. JihadJesus

In general, yes - the weapon on the left when looking at your inventory setup will be the primary weapon. There are some ways you can 'trick' the game into averaging WSM, etc, but anytime you load the game or weapon switch away and come back, the left slot in the screen is restored to being the primary so that's pretty much the rule of thumb.