Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

"Holy Mage" spinner/passive healer.

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by prion, Apr 16, 2008.

1. prion

prion IncGamers Member

"Holy Mage" spinner/passive healer.

This is long enough that it's kind of a guide, I've certainly edited it enough :laugh:

Here's the point of my build: For those who are less wealthy, or casual players, or just can't stand trading/item find runs, and can always reasonably expect to be the 'second' spinner...why not embrace your support role?

Aims of the build:
    -backup spinner using cleansing healing effect to offset some of the damage
    -a real build viable in solo play
    -a real build viable untwinked
    -125% fcr
    -relatively cheap gear
    -a different take on the hammerdin subclass

BASE skill distribution:
    20 hammers.
    20 BA
    20 vigor
    1 concentration~yes one...for soloing...because in tristram you will be borrowing someone else's conc
    7 holy sheild~uhh i dunno lucky number..
    15 prayer

in trist you run cleansing and so you get the prayer synergy healing effect. Why? well if you were already the weakest hammerdin you run cleansing anyway...lets make it do something.

gear:
    upped vipermagi 'sol' (30% fcr)
    spirit sword (30%)
    spirit sacred targe or rondache, 40 res or better (30%)
    fcr/res ring x2 (20%)
    shako 'sol'
    dracs
    boots: hotspur, waterwalk, w/e
    caster belt (5-10%)
    caster/skills ammy (5-20%)
    charms: make up your res, anni and skillers optional
    --also this build can use those defensive skillers you're unable to sell

The first 5 items mentioned give you 110% fcr, so you only need to come up with 15 more from belt and amulet. peice of cake. And certainly you could get better spirits, which would give you even more wiggle room, even allowing you to ditch a ring--some good choices to add are Dwarf star for the MDR or Nature's Peace for the PDR...niether is very expensive.

Before someone else says it: the 125% fcr is not required. So you could ditch some fcr and go all out with +skills. I simply decided that I wanted 125% for my build :wink3:

stats--the basic formula...
    str: gear (70-100)
    dex: block (150ish)
    vit: the rest (i'm showing 363 right now...1517 life without BO, and I don't have my best charms)

With +8 skills my hammers do 3760 damage. That jumps to 7 or 8k with the concentration from a more typical hammerdin build.

uses for extra points:
    IF you get redemption the BASE build comes out to 90 points. I plan my builds to finish at 89 which gives us a nice round 100 points to work with. So we have 10 points left...and lets plan on +8 skills just to have a number to work with....here's the options:

-This is where the term "Holy Mage" came from--my original plan was for a healer who had a great offensive capability, so he would do 15 prayer, 15 holy bolt, and skimp on the hammer synergies. With maxing out hammer damage instead you can get 11 points in Holy Bolt and have a 2100 damage missile for sniping undeads that won't come chill beside you (and have 120-253 heal). Really, you can tweak the levels of Prayer, Holy Bolt, Holy Sheild, or subtract just a few points from hammer synergies to suit how your playstyle develops while leveling. IMO variants of this option are more suited to untwinked/slightly twinked play, organized teams, and the start of the ladder season

-simply dump the points into holy sheild, you _may_ get 3K extra defense from that~kinda boring.

-dump the points into prayer and finish maxing it, that'll leave you with 5 more points. something like an extra +10 heal (after level 16 you get +2 additional per level, after 28 it's +3)

-dump the points into Concentration, BORING, but will give you more offensive power for soloing. Should allow you to play as standard teledin if you get all the gear.

-there's any number of other options that are common to most paladin builds.

Healing Powers:
    still assuming +8 all skills:
    15 points prayer: heals +31 (level 23)
    20 points prayer: heals +41
    add 2 defensive charms: heals +47

lets assume that one of the hammerdins has a prayer merc using insight...
    prayer level 17(?): heals +19 doubled = +38
    suppose he has +2 helm and +1 armor (and you may as well take off his tal's mask since leech won't do anything): heals +25 doubled = +50

so you've got a total group healing of 97 over 2 seconds. This can significantly improve your health! If you had been a regular hammerdin, your contribution would be +12 and a total group benefit of only +62.

Conclusion:
    yeah i just ran out of steam because I didn't plan to write a full on guide but I hope someone finds this useful :smiley:
    This build allows less wealthy players who might never have given it thought to participate in uberleveling, and the ability to spin can buy you a leecher or grush spot or allow you to make more equal contributions to your and your friends' adventures.

2. prion

prion IncGamers Member

Re: "Holy Mage" spinner/passive healer.

nobody cares?

3. Bliphgar

Bliphgar IncGamers Member

So your holy mage is a hammerdin with conc points put in prayer instead?

You do realize hammerdins can get by untwinked on their own, right?

4. prion

prion IncGamers Member

he's a 'holy' mage if you go for the holy bolt variant otherwise I just call it a spinner.

The thing is most people want to build a standard hammerdin spec which is 19 points wasted if you're always going to be second tier. I wanted to show that a different way was possible.