Holy Freeze

Phlegyas

Diabloii.Net Member
Holy Freeze

I heard from various expert players that the best merc is act 2 Holy Freeze guy. That's not the issue here. I just wanted to ask how do you get him? When I go to recruit, there are 'combat', 'offensive' and 'defensive' mercs offered. I tried recruiting all three, but none of them has the Holy Freeze aura. They have Blessed Aim, Resist Cold and another one I can't remember now. What does this depend on? My lvl? The difficulty? Or something else?

bobofuzzlymunky

Diabloii.Net Member
I heard from various expert players that the best merc is act 2 Holy Freeze guy. That's not the issue here. I just wanted to ask how do you get him? When I go to recruit, there are 'combat', 'offensive' and 'defensive' mercs offered. I tried recruiting all three, but none of them has the Holy Freeze aura. They have Blessed Aim, Resist Cold and another one I can't remember now. What does this depend on? My lvl? The difficulty? Or something else?
difficulty. heres the chart-

Combat (Normal): Prayer
Defense (Normal): Defiance
Offense (Normal): Blessed Aim

Combat (Nightmare): Thorns
Defense (Nightmare): Holy Freeze
Offense (Nightmare): Might

Combat (Hell): Prayer
Defense (Hell): Defiance
Offense (Hell): Blessed Aim

they are only good for certain builds, becuase they slow stuff down long enuff for u to cast/attack without trouble. i always use them theyve become an addiction for me.

Phlegyas

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, Defiance. I never played w/ pal much so I'm not all that familiarized with it's auras. Thx for the replies.

zeskelnec

Diabloii.Net Member
Use Might merc for summoner necro
Use Defiance for Frenzybarb and smiters /zealot pala
Use Holy freeze for light/fire sorcs, zons, hammerdins

NEVER use Thorn, blessed aim mercs.

Mursilis

Diabloii.Net Member
Actually if you are having trouble hitting monsters then a Blessed Aim mercenary would be helpful. Normally one can rearrange equipment to compensate for low AR without that type of mercenary, but if you can't then a Blessed Aim mercenary is the only way to go.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
Use Might merc for summoner necro
Use Defiance for Frenzybarb and smiters /zealot pala
Use Holy freeze for light/fire sorcs, zons, hammerdins

NEVER use Thorn, blessed aim mercs.
If your summoner Necro is adventuring in areas with a much higher mlvl than his clvl, then Blessed Aim will increase your skellies' damage output more than Might will. Also, Blessed Aim mercs are handy for deviants like Meleemancers, Throwmancers, Bearsins, Bearomancers, Bearbarians, Rangers, Bowbarbs, and Hunters- characters with no skill-based AR boosts of any kind.

You're right about Thorns, though- it's pretty much useless, except as a nice little leveling tool or if you routinely MF normal difficulty.

zeskelnec

Diabloii.Net Member
I did not want to reach that level of detailed analysis. You are all right.
IMO, When you get to max level skellies & masteries there is no problem to put down baal and any other "high defence rate" monster. It happens even that I run naked without a merc to help the skellies depending on areas (8 skel / 8 mages / 1 revive / 1 claygollum.

There were many threads and guides on merc and skels for necro (+ my humble ze-SKELNEC guidelines) to show that Might + Amp is the fastest combo for killing.