Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Holy freeze/shock running commentary...

Discussion in 'Classic' started by KennyWong, Jul 11, 2010.

1. KennyWong

KennyWong IncGamers Member

Holy freeze/shock running commentary...

H everyone,

Having played D2 on-off for a number of years and read these forums periodically, I always enjoyed reading threads relating to character builds so I thought I write on how I'm getting on with my paladin as it levels up all the way from level 1...

First of all, I play single player only, so I play with what I find - let's see how lucky I am!

Anyway, the plan for my character is to use Holy Freeze as my main aura, and switching to holy shock for cold immunes. If I meet a dual immune, I'll have to rely on my minimal physical but with crushing blow (Crushflange or Goblin Toe) or Open wounds (Bloodrise), should hopefully still be able to kill at a reasonable pace. The reason for above choice of auras are:

1) I've always liked Holy Freeze - slowing monsters down, plus adding a decent amount of cold damage seemed like a good balance between defensive and offensive capabilities
    2) Holy Shock - Potentially more powerful than Holy Freeze, but since it's the next skill on the skll tree, means I save points on pre-requisites plus having points in Resist Lightning as a synergy, allows me to increase my maximum Lightning Resistace.

Anyway, in terms of where I am at the moment:

Level: 22
    Skill Allocation: Holy Freeze 6, Cold Resist 5, Zeal 5, Pre-requisites (Might, Sacrifice, Holy Bolt, Smite, Charge, Blessed Hammer - 1). I've got one point saved from Atma quest in Act 2, which I'll use at level 24 for Holy Shock (other point for Holy Shield)
    Stats: I usually put 1 point in Strength and Dexterity, and 3 into Vitality each time I level up
    Resistances: FR: 28%, CR: 28%, LR: 75%, PR: 53%

Equipment:

Definitely a bit weak at the moment, but I guess that's the beauty of this build is that you don't necessarily need great equipment to have fun!

Weapon: Scepter +16AR, 4% LL and +2 Holy Freeze
    Got it off Drognan - pricey, but the the +2 to Holy Freeze is worth it!

Long term, a Priest's War Scepter with a +3 Holy Freeze would be nice...

Armour: Arctic Furs
    While DR 47 leaves a lot to be desired, I'm a big fan of the +10 All Resistance - kinda like a poor man's Goldskin... If can find another Arctic set item (preferably the Gloves), would give a nice +3 DR/Level and a +75% MF bonus!

Long term, Goldskin's the boy, but rather rare methinks!

Headgear: Socketed Full Helm (regular and flawed ruby)
    This gives a nice +41 to Life - I'm actually a big fan of socketed items as it helps to personalise your gear, and you know the set bonuses. In one of my other paladins, I was fortunate to find a 3 socketed crown - +72% MF was rather sweet... I also once found a 2 socketed War Scepter with +3 Hold Freeze - having 2 Perfect amethysts helps solved my AR problems a little...

Long term, Iratha's crown would be good or 3 socketed perfect ruby crown would be good...

Shield: Socketed Large Shield (3 chipped diamonds)
    From Charsi, the 42% block rate is not bad - once holy shield is up and running, this will help. The +18 All Resistance is once again, a poor man's prismatic prefix..

Long term, I'm a fan of Steelclash, but suspect I'll end using a Socketed Tower Shield (3 perfect diamonds of course!)

Belt: Belt, +19% LR

3 slots are useful, and decent LR

Long term: Iratha's heavy belt!

Boots: Boots, +10 CR, +1 Dexterity

Not many good drops...

Long term: GoblinToe for the CB

Gloves: Leather Gloves, +10% LR and Half Freeze Duration

Long term: Iratha's light gaunlets...

Amulet: +5% PR,+1 Dexterity

Nothing better has dropped...

Long term: Iratha's Amulet

Rings: a) +10 LR, b) +20 PR, +3 Replenish Life

Long term: Suspect I'll need some rings with AR...

Generally, I tend to just run through areas (except for champions and uniques), and just clear out dungeons properly - this seems to be a reasonably efficient way to level up, as those dungeons tend to have a higher concentration of bosses anyway...

I've just found the Horadric Cube (yay! Can finally turn all those rejuvenations potions into Full ones! Plus all those darn chipped gems...), and collecting the other pieces of the cube. In terms of skill points, the plan is put one more point into Holy Freeze, and once I hit level 24, build up Holy Shield to level 5 and put both points from Tyrael into Holy Shock.

Once I get a bit further on, I'll give an update. Thanks for reading, and any advice/comments will be welcome!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Re: Holy freeze/shock running commentary...

Yes, these builds can be great fun. Both freeze and shock.
    In Hell they tend to get challending.
    Lately, I've been considering starting up a cold zealer too, as they are very handy in CS to slow everything down to a crawl.
    Some bottlenecks I've found so far :
    - getting life and mana back, because I often selected a relatively low damage, very fast weapon.
    - immunes

My new build will be with a good damage knout, which has speed, range and damage.
    Hopefully I'll be able to leech some life and mana back due to the damage, although most monsters will be moving too slow to hit a lot of times.
    This added physical damage component may also save me from the cold immunes. I just hope I don't run into a lot of cold and physical immunes. :)

Nice thread, keep us informed if you would. :)

3. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Check out fredsta's guides in the stickies, theyre great. especially the idea to use clegs set, very easy to find and best damage fast weapon in the game lol

4. KennyWong

Thanks for the comments guys! Well, had time for a quick bash tonight...

Still on Act 2, just got the horadric staff - just to get the amulet bit. Just running through areas (and getting a loooooonnnnnnnngggggg trail of monsters following me...) is working like a treat and saving me time instead of hunting down every last bugger, which I used to do.

Level 24: The extra two points went into Holy Shield and Holy Shock as planned. I won't bother to activate Holy Shield (apart from when I go toe-to-toe with Duriel - and he's rock hard!) until I've got a few more points invested, as 30 seconds is just too short!

I'll probably be around level 26 by the time I fight Duriel (usually I'm around level 29), but with my +41 life helmet, I should be able to compensate for the lack of 3 levels - plus I'll hire a mercenary to give me a hand...or at least stand there and get duffed up...

In terms of gear, just two changes:

Amulet: Found a 3% Mana leech and +12% MF, which was immediately useful as I found not long after...

Weapon: Crushflange! I like this baby! The knockback is definitely annoying at lower levels, but will save me in Hell I'm sure should I need to use it... +50% FR (not gonna help against FE Bosses in Nightmare though...), +2 to Light Radius and +15 Strength are all very nice mods but the 33% Crushing Blow is seriously good. I'm considering switching to this baby when fighting bosses (in particular Act bosses), as a +2 Holy Freeze is probably only adding 30 or so points of damage at the moment and crushing blow probably more useful.

Crushflange with Holy Shock worked a treat against that cold immune giant worm in Horadric Staff quest - that said, she doesn't hit back...

5. RooR

RooR IncGamers Member

A 30/20 (faster block rate/increased chance of blocking) prismatic shield is a night and day difference over that 3D shield. A difference that you will notice greatly in hell. I cannot speak more about the importance of a 30/20 prismatic shield, especially on a melee'er. I've never ever lost a character in Hell that had a 30/20 shield.

My zealer is using the cleglaws set right now, and I've only got one complaint about it. It's ownage in every way except the shield is lacking faster block rate. The blocking chance can be fixed with holy shield. I haven't had time to play and probably won't be playing anytime soon, but admittedly so, my zealer is not high level and not in hell yet, so I can't report on the effectiveness (or lack of) of my blocking/staying alive.

If I ever get around to it, I'll report back on this thread in the next year or so lol.

Edit: Okay and as I read my reply and look at what thread I'm in, I sometimes forget that I am always choosing skills and gear with Hardcore play in mind.

In summary, if you're not playing hardcore, pick a crappy 3D shield and just go get your body each time you get swarmed in Hell, your toon is stunned from getting mobbed, then you die. OR, even if you're not playing hardcore, get a 30/20 prismatic and watch as your toon deflects everything with the greatest of ease ;)

(also works for hardcore)

6. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

block lock aint a problem with holy shield :p

7. RooR

RooR IncGamers Member

Seriously?! What?! Is that just an un-said thing about Holy Shield where it increases your block rate? Because....I'm not seeing it lol

8. KennyWong

Well, all I can say is that the "Holy Shield" graphic is a far cooler graphic than a Large Shield one...

Anyway, another quick bash tonight and another quick update...

Alright, level 26 (go go level 3 Holy Shield!), and just found the Canyon of the Magi. While I could find Kaa the Souless, I think I'll give him a miss - he's duffed me up one too many times...

Apart from the cold resistant Ghoul Lords (whose fire attacks are actually quite annoying...) it's going well. In terms of any nice finds today...

1) A rather nice rare ring, which replaced the 10 LR one - and what mods I hear you ask? Well...

+70AR
    +6 Energy
    +7 Mana
    +8 LR
    +12% MF
    +33% Extra Gold

2) Everyones' favourite Breastplate, yup Isenhart's...I saw a flash of green, and then realised it was a breastplate. Oh well, another 6k gold pieces for gambling...

9. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

yeah with it on, its 2 frame - 0 fbr, 1 frame - 86 fbr.
    So shield block speed is irrelevant

10. KennyWong

Alrighty folks, so this is where I am now...

Act III - Things are going well - had a surprisingly close scrape with the SuperUnique Flame Spider (Extra Strong and Cursed is nasty...), otherwise once I completed the Gidbinn quest and was kindly given a Ice Iron Wolf Mercenary. This boy rocks! Freezes monsters, before I deliver the coup de grace with my Scepter! Holy Shield is really helping with the ultra fast block speed and once activated I have 67% Block rate! Currently about to face the council in travincal...

Level 30: 7 Holy Freeze, 5 Zeal, 5 Holy Shield, 2 Holy Shock, 5 Cold Resist (and pre-requisites). Holy Freeze is starting to motor along nicely, with my +3 War Scepter, doing damage of 113-122. Going forward, the plan is to prioritise Holy Freeze, but with points in Holy Shock and the occasional one in Zeal - was thinking of a ratio of 6-3-1 every 10 points.

Resistances: 28% FR, 58% CR, 65% LR, 51% PR

In terms of gear changes...

Weapon: War Scepter - +3 Holy Freeze, +2 Vengeance, +10 FCR

Got off Ormus, very expensive particularly in respect of repairs...but with the +10 IAS (see gloves), currently it's already 6 fpa with zeal and increasing my damage output.

Gloves: Light Gauntlets, +10 IAS, +1 Dex, +17% LR, +15%MF

Gambled, very nice set of varied bonuses

Boots: Light plated boots, +10% FRW, +12% LR

Belt: +14% PR, +3 Replenish Life

Amulet: +1 Maximum Damage, +5 Mana, +30% CR, +9% PR and +25% MF
    Ring: +83 AR, +3% LL, +2 Life, +3 Energy. +4 Mana
    Ring: +70 AR, +6 Energy, +13 Mana, +8% LR, 38% extra gold, +12% MF

Much happier with my gear, since my first post - particularly with the jewellry. Still using Arctic Furs and my Large Shield - found a 2 socketed Bone Shield, saving up my Diamonds which I'll socket with once they're of a high enough nature. Right let's see how I get on in Travincal...

11. KennyWong

Unfortunately been a busy week, but managed to fit in some Diablo 2 this weekend! Anyway, so what's happening with my Paladin...

Act IV: The rest of Act III went well (that Ice Iron Wolf Mercenary was simply superb!), including steamrolling over the Council and Mephisto's henchmen. That said, at that point in time having FR of 28%, actually really didn't cut it and had a few brushes with those Bloodlords, especially when I was hit by 4-5 of their fire attacks in short order... Actually bumped into a couple cold immunes (yes, this is normal!?), still Crushflange and Holy Shock came to my rescue... I'm having to slow down a bit and actually level up a bit before I fight Diablo, but Act IV has been kind so far - the first couple of areas spawned a lot of Venom Lords which helped the experience. Apart from that, Izual was a pain to take down but Crushflange (crushing blow is such a big help) came out again. Currently about to descend into the River of Flames. Hoping to get to level 35 before I fight Diablo...

Level 33: 9 Holy Freeze, 6 Zeal, 5 Holy Shield, 5 Cold Resist, 4 Holy Shock (rest in pre-requisites).

Resistances: 51% FR, 62% CR, 75% LR, 41% PR

Beefing up my FR and LR has helped a lot (particularly FR with all those Venom Lord flame attacks)

In terms of gear changes:

Weapon: Bought another War Scepter with +3 Holy freeze and +2 Energy. While my previous War Scepter also had +3 to Holy Freeze - it also had superfluous mods which were making repairs VERY expensive...

Heavy Belt: +17% FHR and +24% LR

Light Plated Boots: +19% FR, +25% MF

Shield: Socketed Bone Shield with 2 Regular Diamonds (+22 Resist All); combined with Holy Shield activated, I have hit the coveted 75% chance to block! Combined with 75% LR - bring on your pink hose of death, Diablo!

Overall I have 77% MF, which while it's unlikely I'll find any cool items in Normal, certainly can't hurt. Haven't found any items particularly exciting yet - some uniques and some set items (yup, Isenhart's Breastplate again...)

Right, till next time...

12. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

I think it's a good idea to have a decent amount of physical damage (or at least crushing blow) on a cold damage paladin. It certainly is nice to have all your trials in writing, as this will give others pointers on what to look out for.

13. KennyWong

I agree, but the problem with classic is finding a weapon which has sufficient damage and speed... I got very lucky in finding Crushflange early one, and I think it's a great switch item when fighting cold immunes or bosses. Bloodrise is also not a bad choice with Open Wounds and the very nice +50% AR, which will come in handy no doubt in higher levels in actually hitting something. However a certain element of luck is required in finding such a weapon or unique... Still, since the main source of damage is your aura, it's quite nice to be able to not be too dependent on your gear - imagine a Fanatic or Avenger with +1000% damage! Awesome but if you only have a weapon doing 30 points of damage = 330 of damage...which isn't going to cut it...whereas maxed out Holy Freeze with synergies is hitting about 1,000 per swing...

14. EagleEntek

EagleEntek IncGamers Member

1000 a swing if the monster has no resistance to cold remember!

Im working on a frost zealot myself - trying to maintain a healthy balance of physical and cold dmg.

From my experience its easy to be swayed early on by all that elemental damage - as soon as you hit hell and the monsters start to become resistant or downright immune to it you suddenly realise your character is completely stuck in certain areas.

I think it depends on how far into the game you want to go - pure element - means sticking to nightmare and ending your journey there. If you want to go all the way and tackle hell diablo on his own ground, your defo going to need some physical attack power to keep those cold immunes from swamping you.

Im personaly going with 20 holy freeze, 20 resist cold, 4 zeal, 20 sacrifice, 20 holy shield and 1 pt smite, then extra pts into either fanat. or alt. dmg aura. You can get this aura earlier if you can get a +2 pala shield and weapon - but getting good physical dmg on a pala weapon is hard!

It comes down to the maxing pts game again - do you go for maxed skill tree pts, or do you go for gear with +skills on it so you dont need to max the tree...
    (sry for dubiously large post)

15. KennyWong

I agree that a second source of damage is essentially - personally I went for Holy Shock simply because I didn't fancy my chances of getting a weapon which had decent speed and damage; that said, in 1.13 now that the Iron Maiden curse has been removed from the Oblivion Knights (they're still annoying though!), the physical option becomes a lot more attractive. I note you have 4 zeal - are you using angelics or cleg's to get the AR? I'm hoping to use Iratha (though not found any piece yet...) so having to rely on zeal and rings with AR bonuses to (hopefully) solve my AR problems in hell...

Hoping to have time for a bash this weekend and post on how my mighty paladin is getting on!

16. EagleEntek

EagleEntek IncGamers Member

Currently using angelics for ar - iceblink armour to instantly freeze whatever i hit - very usefull - and a good monitor of wether or not to continue in the game to the next levels - if they dont freeze, they're too high for me :D

17. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Its clegs. The best(highest damage) fast weapon in the game, and they drop everywhere!

18. KennyWong

EagleEntek: Iceblink! Now that's one armour I'd love to find and use...there's a video on Youtube (try searching for "Iceblink fun"), which will make anyone a fan of Iceblink...how well does Iceblink work against bosses?

Zrk: Thanks for the suggestion of Cleg's, unfortunately I've not found any more Set items beyond the Arctic gear armour and one of the rings for another set...

Anyway, another week, another bash, and the question everyone wants to know is how is Kenny's Paladin coming along...

Nightmare Act I: The rest of Act IV normal went fine - despite the removal of the Iron Maiden curse from Oblivion Knights, the Chaos Sanctuary was actually pretty tough - not sure if they've beefed it up in 1.13 (there seemed to be a continuous wall of monsters between my paladin and the seals, and that's before triggering the seals...) or it's been a while since I played. In particular the Oblivion Knights were quite painful with their magical attacks and curses... Having max change of block and LR was really helpful against Diablo and once again, whipped out Crushflange for the title fight...

After a single run in cows (getting mobbed by a horde of angry cows with giant halberds is never fun...), I got onto Nightmare! The numerous boss packs in Nightmare mode were really helpful in me level up from 36 to 39 really quickly, though still generally avoiding normal monsters (time vs experience gain isn't worth it). AR is starting to become a problem - % to hit is usually late 50s to mid-60s, hoping to solve by finding some more AR in rings/items, my usual 1 point in Dex per level and points in zeal. Apart from that, completed the Den of Evil (one more point for Zeal!) and just rescued Deckerd Cain.

Level 39: 13 Holy Freeze, 7 Zeal, 6 Holy Shock, 5 Holy Shield, 5 Cold Resist, (rest in pre-requisites). I reckon I'll put my next point into Zeal, my point from the Atma Quest into Holy Shock, and 6-3-1 for Holy Freeze, Holy Shock and Zeal enroute to level 50.

Holy Freeze is now hitting at a sweet 218-227 per strike (pulse damage 43-45), Holy Shock is hitting 1-240 per strike (pulse damage 1-40), combined with Crushflange (and 33% CB), it is proving a highly effective back-up.

Resistances: 69% FR, 32% CR, 71% LR, 36% PR

In terms of gear changes:

Helm: Finally retired my socketed Full Helm with +41 to Life with a Crown Socketed with 2 Perfect Topazes (+48% MF).

Heavy Belt: +10% FHR and +29% LR

Light Plated Boots: +10% FR/W, 10% FHR, 24% ED, +15% LR, +7% FR, +18% MF

Lovely pair of boots gambled.

Armour: Finally retired my Arctic Furs (been using them since Act I normal! Diablo must have thought my paladin was a bit of a joker rocking up in Quilted Armour...), and invested in a suit of Chainmail with +30% FR - looking to upgrade again as soon as I find something decent!

Finally, found a 3 socket Tower Shield! Unfortunately only have 1 perfect diamond at the moment, but looking forward to +57% Resist All!

Overall I have 118% MF, which a decent level considering I still have decent resistances, and hoping it will pain dividends with all those boss packs in Nightmare...

19. KennyWong

Alright, quick bash, some progress...

Nightmare Act I: Just completed the Tower quest tonight. This quest is really worth doing - not so much for the reward, but for the experience. Once run of the Tower got me from mid level-39 to almost level-41! There's a very high density of Boss packs, which makes experience pretty good, though fighting multiple boss packs is somewhat interesting...hate it when there's an archer pack and then a melee pack, definitely needing to start using some tactics. Also starting to be wary of FE bosses - sometimes I'm not caught in the death explosion, other times I have, and lost about 25% of life bulb - guess they've not really fixed the FE-boss bug... Also met a boss who had holy freeze and cold enchanted - I slowed down to a right crawl! Need to try and find a way to do cold damage... Anyway, I'll hit the barracks etc next - suspect will be around level 43-ish by the time I fight Andariel.

Level 41: 14 Holy Freeze, 8 Zeal, 6 Holy Shock, 5 Holy Shield, 5 Cold Resist, (rest in pre-requisites). To hit is hovering around late 50s to mid 60s, but chance to be hit is usually 70%+ (thank goodness for 75% chance to block...), really need to think about trying to upgrade my armour...

Unfortunately found absolutely nothing! Well, not strictly true, found lots of gold (or gear, which was turned into gold!), which I subsequently blew on gambling and still found nothing!

20. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

Should be fairly easy to get dual res boots by gambling at your level(if you arent goin for gobs)