Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Holy Freeze Merc Equipment Question

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Shadowshifter, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Shadowshifter

Shadowshifter IncGamers Member

Holy Freeze Merc Equipment Question

Hey, I just made a throwbarb and was wondering wat the mid-level and optimal gear for a HF merc is .. I was thinking:
    Helm: Mid: Tal's Mask; Optimal: Delirium
    Weapon: Reaper's Toll
    Armor: Mid: Duriel's Shell; Optimal: Chains of Honor
    Is this about right, or do you guys recommend another equipment setup?

2. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

Looks good, act 2 mercs are pretty open for gear usually, many different things they can wear. For mid lvling use a hone sundan or spire of honor, and try using gaze instead of tals (lvl 41 req, not 66) Rest looks good.

3. Shadowshifter

Cool, thanks. Are there any other optimal armors for this kind of merc? I doubt I'll ever get be able to get a CoH :-/

4. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

Shaft with an umrune or whatever is good, my merc uses eth buggy zod um shaft, too cheap to put cta or anything on him hehe. He stays alive real good and he can kill with cwp/gaze/shaft.

5. Stubbs

Stubbs IncGamers Member

Reapers Toll is definately a good choice. Mine uses an eth one and cuts thru the decrepped frozen monsters. If you can get an eth great poleaxe with 3 sockets, u can make a Crescent Moon which really can help out with its static and still do a good chunk of dmg. For mf reasons, mine wears upgraded skullders, but shaft is more than suitable for it. A great mid lvl wep is a Kelpie Snare. If you want to really slow the monsters, wear a kelpie and blackhorns and socket the kelpie with an amn to keep him alive. From the amount of slow, the enemy will move as fast as a heroin addict nodding out . An ethereal upgraded Kelpie Snare is one hell of a merc weapon. One idea at lvling your merc from its 40something lvl is to do nm shenk and eldritch runs in populated rooms. I scanned the forums for good lvling strategies and I failed to find anything. But I tried this method out and I am quite pleased with it. If anyone knows a better process then please enlighten me cuz i really would like to know it. Hopefully any of my personal thoughts and experiences help you out.

6. Two_Rivers

Two_Rivers IncGamers Member

"One idea at lvling your merc from its 40something lvl is to do nm shenk and eldritch runs in populated rooms."
    That has worked great for me in the past. Another armor I really like is griz's armor socketed w/ ral and ort for good def and res as well as a free socket for an enhanced damage jewel or something (cheap to). Bonehew is another solid merc weapon.

7. JohnofTesh

JohnofTesh IncGamers Member

Crown of thieves is a good helm - 10-12% LL and other tasty mods

I like vipermagi early when my merc has low resistance
    Tals armor is good for the mf and resistance

Ethereal Crescent Moon runeworded weapon is something to look at too

8. Farnham_the_Drunk

Farnham_the_Drunk IncGamers Member

Holy Freeze (Slow Target by 30-54% based on lvl) Merc Gear:

Ethereal Blackhorn's Face (Amn): Slows Target By 20%, Prevent Monster Heal, +20 Lightning Absorb, 7% LL

Ethereal Kelpies Snare (Dol): Slows Target By 75%, + (1.25 Per Character Level) 1-123 To Life (Based On Character Level), Replenish Life +7

Ethereal Spirit Shroud (Dol): Cannot Be Frozen, +1 To All Skills, Replenish Life +17

Total Slow Target: 125%-149%
    Total Life Leech: 7%
    Total Replenish Life: 24

What's all this mean? Well my merc has this exact setup and the only monster he has ever died to is Ãœber Diablo and then he lasted to almost the end. (The only reason he died is I am not used to having to pump him with potions)

9. Shadowshifter

That sounds nice. I already have a Delirium and a Reaper's Toll, though, so what would be the best armor to complement them?

10. Farnham_the_Drunk

Farnham_the_Drunk IncGamers Member

Affordable: Shaftstop

Expensive: Chains or Honor, Bramble (I prefer Bramble myself)