Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

holy freeze/holy shock zealot critique

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by BewareOfLag, Jun 24, 2010.

1. BewareOfLag

BewareOfLag Diabloii.Net Member

holy freeze/holy shock zealot critique

Basically I am going to try a dual element zealot that also has some ability to inflict some physical damage also. This would be important against dual cold-lightening immunes.

Skill setup pretty simple, max HF and res cold, max HS and res light, and the rest goes into holy shield.

Gear is a little more complicated, of course, but here's my thoughts:

Nightwings veil (assuming I can get a decent one for Um on west coast sc ladder), guillames, or Andys.
    Voice of reason/cresc moon (cheap and - to monster resist for each aura)
    Treachery (getting sick of making this armor but the IAS makes it hard to pass up)
    Pally res shield or hh glory with pdiams and or ias jewel/ancients pledge (crescent moon has ias so no need for ias in shield)
    Dracs (see treachery comment but apply it to life tap)
    Angelic ammy, highlords, or rare/magic pally
    Angelic rings or dual cheap ravens
    Nos coil
    Sand trek or gore riders

Merc and equip kind of depend on one another. For the physical part, the merc will def use reapers toll. From here there's a couple of options: go with might for puts damage and use angelic stuff for AR, or use blessed aim merc and go for crushing blow gear. Some advice on which would be better would help.

2. Frostadin

Frostadin Diabloii.Net Member

Re: holy freeze/holy shock zealot critique

I'm no expert but in my experience a dual element zealot is a great build.

Holy Freeze - 20
    Resist Cold - 20
    Holy Shock - 20
    Resist Lightning -20
    Zeal - 4
    Holy Shield - Rest

As for your gear your weapons sound fine. If you make them in phase blades you need 72% IAS to hit 4 frames and only 13% to hit 5 frames. Personally I wouldn't worry about the 4 frame Zeal as it would limit your gear. When you get rich, go for it, but for now forget it.

Drop a 15% IAS jewel somewhere and enjoy your 5 frame zeal. That means you don't need Nosferatu, which allows you to wear a more effective belt like Arachnid Mesh with it's +1 skills, higher defense, and 10% slow enemy. It also means you don't need the Treachery, so pick a high defense/high resist armor to fill out any deficiencies you have.

To augment your physical attacks I would focus on crushing blow/open wounds and highly recommend Guillame's, Gore Riders, and Dracul's Grasp. That will get your 35% open wounds and 50% crushing blow. Very effective indeed. Lifetap is just icing on the cake.

As for shield, HOZ is always a good choice. Ideally, whichever shield you pick you should try to get 2. That will allow you to put one in both weapon switch slots. That way you have:

Voice Of Reason / HOZ in weapon slot 1 (Zeal/Holy Freeze)
    Crescent Moon / HOZ in weapon slot 2 (Zeal/Holy Shock)

When you need to switch attacks simply the "w" button. Very easy and fun.

Finally, since your AR might be lacking look at getting a Blessed Aim merc. That combined with the 3 Angelics means you should be hitting everything. If your AR is overkill then maybe you can switch out one (or maybe all) of the Angelics for Bul Kathos or others.

I'd rather get my AR from my merc's Blessed Aim because as a Froster it is pointless to have Holy Freeze merc, thus Defiance or Blessed Aim are the only real options. Defiance is nice, but Blessed Aim from a merc opens up more equipment slots on your paladin, which is far more useful than more defense.

3. BewareOfLag

Hmm I guess I will rethink my merc weapon then, cuz I highly doubt decrep enhances crushing blow. That for me was the real debate - which is better for physical damage, crush blow or might + decrep? I can't afford hoz, so to hit 5 frame zeal with cold, I figured id put some pdiamonds and an ias jewel for my shield with HF, and use ancients pledge with holy shock since I'm already at 5 with crescent moon phase blade. I do have a cold facet, which is why I'm having a hard time not going after nightwings for my helm. I also have a light facet, so maybe go with 2 pally shields with resists so I can put that light facet in the shield for when I'm using my crescent moon.

4. Frostadin

IMO crushing blow is superior. Plus, decrep will overwrite your lifetap, so it's not good to combine the two and IMO lifetap is far more useful. Also, longterm your end game weapon for your merc is going to be Infinity. For now just equip him with a high damage Insight and upgrade as you can find / make something better.

A quick note, if you put your IAS jewel in your shield and weapon switch then you would not benefit from it unless you had another IAS jewel in your other shield. An IAS jewel in the helm is a good spot.

5. BewareOfLag

good thinking about the curse override.

to clarify what i meant about the IAS in the shield, you need 12% to get to 5 frame zeal with a phase blade. so I could for example take 2 4 OS pally shields with resistances, and on the weapon switch with Crescent Moon, put a lightning facet and 3 perf diamonds. on shield for the weapon switch for Voice of reason, i could put an IAS jewel, the cold facet, and 2 perf diamonds. if i can just scrounge up a couple of 4 OS pally shields with 30 or so resistances, that gives me around 70 resist all for my shield. this is of course assuming the IAS jewel would benefit my weapon, as opposed to just working if i use my shield to smite. i'm pretty sure the IAS would work but i've never tried it in a shield before.

still tempted to go with treachery cuz i could theoretically get to 4 frame, but you're right, it makes my gear selection awfully limited. i have a low enhanced defense guardian angel, but even that armor isnt that useful unless i can get my resists ramped WAY up there. now that i think about it, i think i will socket the guardian angel with the IAS jewel, since there's not really a lot of other useful things out there to socket it with. that gives me 19% more resist all by putting another pdiamond in the shield instead of the IAS jewel.

one snag i can see happening is with voice of reason, i have the cannot be frozen mod, which would allow me to wear the angelic stuff for AR, but that wouldnt be the case when i switched to crescent moon for dealing with cold immunes. not sure how many lightning immune monsters that can freeze you are out there, but that certainly puts an onion in the ointment as far as that goes.

i think what I will try is be the one person on bnet using a blessed aim merc LOL...that frees up 1 ring and 1 ammy slot for whatever i want, and 1 ring will be ravenfrost. even if the cant be frozen is a waste when using voice of reason, the dex mod will at least help blocking some.

6. Frostadin

Wearing a Ravenfrost is not a bad way to solve the CBF, it allows you to still wear the Guillame's face which would be a great place for the 15 IAS jewel. If resists are killing you then take a look at Kira's Guardian (socketed with 15 IAS jewel). It would give you massive resists, cannot be frozen, and you would only lose 10% faster hit recovery. By ditching Guillame's however you would drop from 50% to 15% crushing blow but still have 35% open wounds. Not ideal but still very functional.

As for being the only guy with a Blessed Aim merc that would be wrong....there'd be at least 2 of us.

7. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf Diabloii.Net Member

Helm -guillames (um or 15 ias jewel)
    Weapon 1- Voice of reason PB
    Weapon 2- Crescent Moon PB
    Armour - Lionheart(Hel Lum Fal) or Smoke (Nef Lum)
    Shield 1 & 2 - Strive for hoz in each slot but spirit/ancients pledge will do for then.
    Highlords or metalgrid. Depends if you can sneak a 15 ias jewel somewhere.
    2 Ravens
    String of ears
    gore riders
    Dracs

This will most likely be the best set up for your build although Im quite fond of heavens light Mighty scepter for elemental zealots. Lotta mods that are hard to pass up. Indestructibility though is something I really like about phase blades.