Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Holy Fire pala... conclusion.. and thoughts from actual testing. d

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Snarlin Stef, Feb 1, 2004.

1. Snarlin Stef

Snarlin Stef IncGamers Member

Holy Fire pala... conclusion.. and thoughts from actual testing.

ok... some of you might know that I tried to make a Holy Fire pala utilizing the following concepts:

dragon scale shield- 15% fire dmg +10 Hydra
    Hand of Justice- -20% enemy Fire
    max holy fire aura and all synergies
    max zeal- do good fire and phys dmg
    rest in sacrifice
    1 point in Holy shield

I think that this build is a sub par build. Hydra + Smite works VERY well and i think that was the reason i was winning the duels... simply because I got my enemy in Stun Lock

However, fully synergized fire aura adds only 1000 dmg to your weapon. Its not enough IMO... Also the Fire aura is probably one of the least party friendly auras there are. It does not help anyone but yourself.

I think that the build was "ok" but definately not worthy of my 342 ED hand of Justice (superior phased) and dragon scale shield

So now Im gonna remake this pala.. as a vengeance pala. I asked over in the sorcy forum if negative enemy fire resist mod from my Hand of Justice works with hydra... no one seems to know for sure.

I think that that since hydra + smite worked so well for stun lock that it would be perfect for a vengeance pala.... stunning the enemy long enugh to get in spome good vengeance hits.

dont fret about my phase blade for my vengeance weapon... it does over 150 phys dmg (342 ED; average of 140... not bad when comparing to much slower weapons) and i will be able to reach 8 fps VERY easily thus giving me MANY gear opitions i can play around with... and it also has a nice -20 enemy fire resist that will help the vengeance dmg; when i max the fire synergies.

So im off to the races.. ill keep you tuned on trying to make use of dragon scale shield. :)

thnx
    stef

2. Vorbiss

Vorbiss IncGamers Member

I'm glad to see that your experiment succeeded! :) Remember me, the guy who said that Dragonscale suck? ;)
    btw your HoJ phase is one extremely nice weap! :thumbsup:
    Anyhow, I'd like to ask, how was this build doing in PvM? Or you haven't tried?

3. Snarlin Stef

well my "experiment" did not succeed to my satisfaction... using uber items to get a mediocre character is not success in my book.

he did ok in pvm.... actually he did REALLY well in hell games with under 4 players in it... after that... he slows down a bit..

hmmmm... i think that he would be hard pressed to beat the minions of destruction in a 4 player game by himself.... *just to put that in context*

my biggest problem that I had with this build was the 60 skill points i used in Holy Fire only to recieve 1000 fire dmg to my weapon... thats kinda lame... im sorry... i think that in order for this build to really work well... blizzard needs to beef up the holy fire synergies a bit... the aura is useless (unlike holy freeze which adds more dmg and slows) so thus you only max it for the added fire dmg... and 900-1000 fire dmg just isnt cutting the mustard witha 60 point investment.

im gonna rebuild him using dragon scale and HOJ as a vengeance pala with the fire synergies... see how that goes... and ill get back to ya with those results

ill have some extra points too left over witha vengeance build and i might put some into FOH... heh... to piss off runners who dont want to stick around to die

thnx

4. Vorbiss

Vorbiss IncGamers Member

All I was trying to say is that you used weak skill(Holy Fire), with strange items(Dragonscale), and still the build was at least "mediocre", that IS succes in my book. ;) Nonetheless that those items really are uber, HoJ...*drools*

5. Snarlin Stef

well the story with HOJ is shady... DOOM runeword gives better stats for slightly cheaper runes. However the ONLY reason i did not go the cold pally route with DOOM is that you can only put it in AXES (fastest being base speed of -10).. even with the 45IAS bonus you receive... you have to severly compromise your gear to get maxed frame rate (not using fanat aura of course)... so thus the ONLY weapon that can work is Hand of Justice simply because you can put it in the a VERY fast weapon.... My advice on expensive runewords is to ALWAYS wait for a superior weapon to come along... im so happy i decided to wait for a superior 4 sock phase... and im DAMN lucky i got it near perfect when i crafted it... 330ED = max.. i got 342 ED...

i think that when i remake my pala using Conviction and HOJ and Dragonscale + Fire synergies.. he will be much stronger.

so stay tuned
    thnx
    stef

6. DeathsHand

DeathsHand IncGamers Member

little bit of advice, superior phases are fine as they're indestructable, but try using a superior doom zerker axe, 10k repair cost for 1 dura = alot of armour/staff/wand scavenging

7. mes_uno

mes_uno IncGamers Member

Horadric Cube Repair Recipes? ---> Ort + weapon

should be a bit cheaper me thinks

8. mes_uno

mes_uno IncGamers Member

How much dmg do you hydras do btw? And what mana cost? I'm looking for a support skill for my cleric. I didn't know about that +10 to hydra mod, and think it would work well to pin non-undeads in place while i FoH them.

9. Raven-Hood

Raven-Hood IncGamers Member

I think the problem is that enchant, the sorc skill, uses the same amount of skill points with benefits from the synergies and the skill also gives ar ontop of about the same amount of fire damage. And can give this fire damage to anyone. While holy fire cannot do this. On the other hand, holy fire makes a great ranger aura because of its ability to hurt the same target twice per arrow.

Raven-Hood

10. Snarlin Stef

sorc enchant is a MUCH more powerfull spell.. i ahve one.. .she does over 7k fire dmg with some nice gear... (15% Fire +3 enchant ormus etc etc)

she does 4k fire dmg with crap gear...

yah... im gonna remake the pala as a vengeance see waht happens...

as far as hydra is concerned.. the dmg i think is negligable (unless you use conviction aura) I used the hydra + stun from smite to put enemies into Stun lock in duels...

when i remake this pala with conviction i will be able to tell you how much dmg it REALLY does.. for some back of hte envelope calculation id say its about 130 per fire ball.. after full equiped... (i dint ahve much plus skills gear... )

the shield is great when used smite +hydra for stun lock.. i have no idea how effective it will be with conviction as a spell for dmg...

i will let you know in a few days... ill post my vengeance pala results...

im VERY new to palas... i enjoy making "non" cookie cutter builds... some of them work and some of them fail... this one was soso... but not good enough for me to keep around.. i think i can make him MUCH better.

thnx
    stef

11. Snarlin Stef

i have a Chaos claw that costs over 2 million to repair.. THANK GOD for orts ;)

ort and Ral runes i collect.. and i never have a problem. (3 ral = ort)

12. ROMVS

ROMVS IncGamers Member

Hey, you must be pretty rich to keep trying out new stuff like that as well as having a lot of time. Hats off to you for trying a new build and for letting us all know what works and what doesn't. Thanks again.

13. Snarlin Stef

im "semi" rich i guess... and i odnt have THAT much time... friends just power act me then i join 7 player games and i dont ally with them .. i stay in act1 till level 12
    then go to arcane from 12-20 .. then my friends do normal cows for me from 20-24 then ancients then the rest is chease cake... level a char in a few hours.. its not that bad at all...