Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Holy bolt and sanctuary? and hello.

Discussion in 'Classic' started by barty, Apr 29, 2008.

1. barty

barty IncGamers Member

Holy bolt and sanctuary? and hello.

Hello all, names bart and i am a d2 vet of many years.[23 now, began at like 17 :)] i started out in whccl, but also enjoy wsccl. current play accounts are bart_1/bart_2. this is my first post so please forgive any clumsiness. ive got some experience and look forward to giving/receiving help on questions that bugger the heck out of all of us. like this one....

Can anyone tell me if Sanctuary's %dmg uto undead will stack on top of holy bolt dmg to undead? i was doing some math and..
    holy bolt at lvl 20 can do 4116-4620 dmg [synergized lvl 20 BH//FOH]
    now this wouldnt truly be a healer [ no points to prayer], but was just curious
    to know if u can make an gg undead slainzer [not cookie cutter dindin] to clear undead of cs, idea came from thinkin that lvl 20 sanctuary adds 720% dmg to undead, thats alot of extra dmg[+ the aura dmg itself]. does anyone know if the dmg will stack on top of holy bolt or only add to physical dmg vs undead? if it is stackable i might come up with a build guide for this type of pally.maybe im just a little dizzy still from the previous holiday on the 20th.
    the more i think about it, this pally could be a part of a cs team not relying completely on a din to clear with relative speed[if it works]. just hopeful :).

2. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

Re: Holy bolt and sanctuary? and hello.

The damage of sanctuary and for instance the undead crown only applies to physical damage.

The healers I made are very proficient at killing off the undead. When Seis is, as Goomba put it, rabbit, he's hard to catch for a hammerdin, not for a anti-undead bolter, Seis bites the dust. I made a calculation in another thread, you should be able to get 10k bolts, though I recall that was with Battle Command and max +skills.

I made a grim scythe zealer who uses sanctuary as his main aura(and salvation when the venom lords are near), this damage to undead does not get returned by IM, mainly because the din is not undead. :)

3. HegemonKhan

HegemonKhan IncGamers Member

the sanctuary skill

i've played a lot with "weak and useless" skills and builds no one ever uses. so if anyone wants to know anything about weak builds/skills, ask me. and no other skill is LEAST used than.....SANCTUARY, which is sad since its so pretty seeing stars in the deeps of hell:p.

my sanctuary skill knowledge:

santaury has two types of damage (almost like the 3 elemtental aura skills):

1. PULSE damage: ONLY works on UNDEAD. the magical knockback aura PULSE damage. this is exactly the same as the paladin's 3 elemental PULSE aura damage skills (holy fire, holy frost, holy shock). this PULSE damage from sanctuary is useless (though, i never seen its damage when sanctuary is maxed at like lvl 30 and cleansing synergy is at max 20). i'm pretty sure that FCR does NOT effect pulse speed of "hits" on monsters. however, the knock back effect REALLY makes up for low PULSE magical damage. the knock back is really incredible and powerful. i'll explain this much further down.

2. enhanced damage to MELEE weapons ONLY to ONLY undead monsters. this is just like the additional elemental damage added to weapons from the 3 elemental aura skills, BUT unlike them, sanctuary damage is % enhanced damage not direct addititional damage and it only works on undead (there is controversy over whether sanactuary actually gives u enhanced % damage to undead with melee weapon attacks, so if anyone wants to test this and finally give me an answer, i'd be incredible apreciative to finally know) and it does NOT work with ranged weapons (bow, xbow, javs, throwing axes, etc?..), which the 3 elemental aura skills do (ravenclaw bow+holy fire anyone? :p or wizendraw bow and hoyl freeze? :p).

*3. special secret effect of sanctuary: with/on weapon attack: removes leech immunity on undead (or any monster?). no other attack-skill does this in the entire game. WW barbs hate undead cuz they cant leech mana and life from them. but not the sanctuary paladin. sanctuary paladin LOVES undead and LOVES hell cs!!!! (i'll explain about hell cs further down). sancuary paladin can leech all the life and mana he wants from undead. they have no immunity from leeching due to the paladin's sanctuary skill/attack.

the power of the knock back on sanctuary's PULSE attack:

yes, the magical pulse damage is laughible, but NOT its knock back. the knock back has the exact same effect on undead, as does a leap hopping barb does on all monsters!!! think of sanctuary's knock back as a barb's leap skill but while being able to attack at the same time!!, but its only on/for the undead.

now take an undead infested hell cs with undead skel warriors, undead skel mages and their cursed curses :)P , sorry had to make this pun), and the undead ghosts sucking up your mana.

now imagine a sanctaury paladin with its knock back...NO more undead anywhere near u, NO CURSES since undead obliv mages are too far away to get u with their curses and are in knockback lock as well, NO ghosts sapping your mana. sanctuary paladins LOVE HELL CS!!!!

the additional power of sanctuary within hell cs:

now add the % enhanced damage to undead with melee weapon and being able to leach life and mana...

the sanctuary paladin LOVES HELL CS. the sanctuary paladin WAS made solely for hell cs (and any other undead infested areas like act2 sewers and act3 areas).

*also, if u do put 20 pts into cleansing or got +skills, everyone will love u IF they do ever get cursed, as that high cleansing will remove curses within seconds.*

*sanctuary melee weapon damage does NOT stack with or enhance holy bolt spell damage, but its pulse magical damage will hit along with the holy bolts u are shooting but the pulse magical damage is only like 100 (at 20 into sanct and cleansing synergy, not sure what it be at 30 sanctuary) which is useless.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    warlock is right about IM not effecting a paladin using sanactuary!!! i forgot this, but warlock didnt. this is the 2nd secret effect of sanctuary, thanks warlock.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  4. HegemonKhan

holy bolt build

real quick about holy bolt build:

***biggest problem with using holy bolt....lots of idiots who get between your holy bolts and undead like hamerdins...though he gets your job done for u....but your still mad cuz he is preventing u from helping/killing stuff in cs***

if u are making an "obliv lord mage" sniper for hell cs (maximizing holy bolt damage with synergies and +skills)(which is what holy bolt is best for), than u have some options for aura choices.

aura choices for a holy bolt "sniper" build (using holy bolt's huge damage at only 3 mana per cast)(non-medic build):

sanctuary is nice for its undead knockback for u and party (unless u got a hammerdin who is very upset with your knock back cuz he cant hit the monsters being knocked away:p) but besides this, doesnt really have any partnership for a boly bolt build. however cleansing is extremely useful aura for hell cs, and happens to be a synergy for sanctuary as well though it doesnt really help as a synergy, but u can have obth of these auras and switch between them as u n party needs.

cleasning is a very useful aura to have on permanently in cs, due to the curses from obl lords.

salvation is a nice aura too for obvious reasons.

any of the elemental auras for their pulse damage.

any of the phys damage auras (concentr, might, fanatic)

u can really use ANY aura u want as none help out holy bolt

There really is NO aura that works in tangen (spelling..is way off for word tangen..trying to use fancy vocab..if only know how to spell the word.. :p) with holy bolt.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  5. deichsela

deichsela IncGamers Member

"sanctuary! sanctuary!"

When a Hammerdin isn't in the party, my Sanctuary Priest is loved.
    :shocked:
    awesome

6. HegemonKhan

there's a 2nd super secret effect about sanctaury that warlock pointed out in his?/her? post and that i put at the bottom of my long sanctuary guide post at the very bottom below the dashed line.

sanctuary skill weapon attacks are NOT effected by IM. sanctuary users have nothing to fear from IM as well as being able to leach from undead (or other leech immune monsters?). its kinda akin to berserk not being affected by IM.

thanks warlock for mentioning/pointing this out.

7. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

This secret effect you mention might have something to do with Sanctuary removing physical immunity from undead, but I doubt it grants leech-ability.
    Even a level 1 sanctuary aura removes physical immunity from undead completely(as long as these undead are in range of the aura).
    So anybody who had trouble with spectres in Hell will be very pleased to be near you.

8. Noite Escura

Noite Escura IncGamers Member

9. deichsela

Sanctuary, FTW

Just tested it with my Priest. Deactivated Sanctuary and let a corpse hit me from 1600 to 1516 life. Switched to Sanctuary and swung until I hit him. Red splash washed over my char, meaning life leech activated, and my life went up to 1517.

10. fledgeling

fledgeling IncGamers Member

Are you sure it wasnt the "natural" regeneration?

11. deichsela

leech! everywhere!

Life didn't change when standing idle for a few minutes. I can't get it do the life leech again. Hm. :undecided:

12. HegemonKhan

sanctuary re-visited

okay i messed up a bit about sanctuary (i got a few things confused),

KNOWN special ability of sanctuary:

1. breaks phys. immunity (to zero?=full phys damage?). allows u to phys hit phys immune monsters like amp (and decripfy?). i'm pretty sure unlike amp (and decrepify?) sanctuary FULLY breaks immunity allowing u to do full phys damage to phys immune monsters. where amp (decrepify?) lowers it enough the monster isnt immune anymore but u r only doing like say 50% of your normal phys damage to mosnter. monster is still resisant after amp (and decrepify?) but no longer immune, much like conviction breaks elemental immunities but ehy still ahve high resistance. BUT, i think sanctuary not only removes immunity but even resistance to zero for full phys damage to once phys immune monsters (would love to have some one test this)

2. sanctuary weapon damage (IF this damage works, see below) only works with melee weapons. NOT ranged like bows, etc..

3. ALL damage (pulse and weapon damage) ONLY applies to undead monsters

4. pretty sure that sanctuary aura and abilties ONLY work for u. party members do NOT get sanctuary aura and its bonuses on them. i think sanctuary is the 4th aura of the 3 elemental pulse damage aura family (elementals holy fire, holy freeze, holy shock, and the phys sanctuary. they all work nearly exactly the same with the only real difference is that the elemtnal ones work with ranged weapons as well as melee where sanactuary ONLY works with melee weapons. all 4 of them are selfish auras. they do not apply to party memebers like concentration and other auras do)

unconfirmed or unsure (to my knowledge) ability of sanctuary:

1.% enhanced damage to undead with sanctuary aura activated melee weapon attacks.

currently in question, special ability:

1. (life/mana) leeching.

I think i have leeching understood now from sanctuary (but it still needs to be tested and confirmed or denounced):

sanctuary itself does not grant any leeching (u need leeching from gear/weapons to leech=doh). however, i believe because it breaks phys immunity, that it has the SIDE EFFECT of also now allowing the once phys immune and leech immune monsters (undead or all?) to NOW be leechible as well as phys damage vulnerible.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  13. EagleEntek

EagleEntek IncGamers Member

I was under the impression that you dont get any enhanced damage from sanctuary - i read somewhere that it was broke like the necromancers poisen dagger and didnt give additional dmg - has this been fixed and i read an old post? This being the main reason i havent built any of these chars...

14. HegemonKhan

read this too, which is why i would appreciate if some one could test if the % enhanced damage bonus vs undead is applied to your weapon damage.

to finally answer whether it works or not

(wish character screen would show undead damage)

15. barty

barty IncGamers Member

thanks to everyone for their responses! i started a holy bolt pally yesterday and figure im just going to max prayer[ up to med and use med as primary aura] with bolt/bh/foh. that sure would have been sweet if bolt/sanc would stack. a melee pally with sanctuary sounds pretty fun, im interested in different builds, so far this patch ive made a freeze/zeal din, freezeing arrow zon,multi/guided zon,fredsta's cow lf/mfr, funfun smiter,ce/summoner,poison nec, singer barb, 2x throw barb[sucks imo :)]etc. anyhow, if anyone wants to collaborate with me on sanc/melee??? build, pm me[or maybe continue thread? if allowed] and we can discuss a build im willing create/gear to fish with. thanks and l8.

16. HegemonKhan

actually i think i'll post a guide on a sanctuary build, for u and everyone.