Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hollow Man WIP - For BigKevSexyMan

Discussion in 'Fan Creations: Art, Music, Wallpapers, Fiction' started by Delowyn, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Delowyn

Delowyn Diabloii.Net Member

Hollow Man WIP - For BigKevSexyMan

He's finished, click for larger image:
    [​IMG]
    Original post below
    ------------------
    I'm doing this project for BigKevSexyMan because of his request for some art to go with his Hollow Man fan-class character creation.

Read about the Hollow man here.

I just started this, so it is extremely preliminary. Not sure what I'm going to do for the head yet, but it will be glowing green in the end, like the preview shows. Most likely it will just be a translucent skull. Multiple layers of robes and wrappings will cover most of his body. His arms will be wrapped loosely, with glowing green ghost "flesh" showing through the open areas. The bottom hem of his robe-skirt will fade out into a black, cloudy mist. I'm thinking that since he is undead, he is still tied to the Underworld that continually tugs at him to return. Hence the robe dematerializing into a black cloud. Oh, and he will be carrying a huge staff. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. Holyknight3000

Holyknight3000 D3 Fan Creations Forum Moderator

Re: Hollow Man WIP - For BigKevSexyMan

Nice start Delo, cant wait to see how it goes. I may have a request from you in the future too, so please be ready for it. /grin

3. BigKevSexyMan

BigKevSexyMan Diabloii.Net Member

No Way!

I thought everyone forgot about this.

Anyways, I love the how you want to use green. Green is one of those colors you almost always associate with a ghost. And the black cloud idea sounds awesome.

So far, I like what you have. I can't decide if the belt or the shoulders look the coolest.

You made my day here. Thanks. :alright:

4. Delowyn

Re: Hollow Man WIP - update 2

Hey there! I'm glad you like it so far, Kev. HK, I'll be ready :thumbsup:!

Update 2

I'm still mulling over some ideas and color schemes so I'll be ready when it comes to painting the textures. I was thinking of using deep lavenders and steel blues like in that DnD lich picture in your request thread.

Click for larger image:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  5. BigKevSexyMan

Looks nice so far. The purple would look really cool with a bit of translucence, but your talents at this are way better than mine are, so do what you think is best and I'll trust you.

6. Delowyn

Re: Hollow Man WIP - update 3

Update 3

+new head
    +arm wrappings
    +leather forearm armor with leather string ties
    +gloves
    +new ghost effect (still experimenting with that)

Most of the clothing is finished. Still have to cover the feet, those are only placeholders. He will also be wearing a weapon belt with two curved daggers, if I can fit them in. The head is a real head now instead of the sphere placeholder I've been using. I'll use transparency maps to make the edges of his robes and skirts ragged and torn. I also started making a particle simulation for the smoke effect, but that's not ready to show yet.

Click for larger image:
    [​IMG]

7. DavidJewer

DavidJewer Diabloii.Net Member

I hope you don't mind my input, I'm trying not to phrase it as criticism, so here goes:

I think the purple for the "skirt" of the robe is a bit bright. When just glancing at the picture it kinda looks like this is the... erm... female Hollow Man. I mean, the shape is fine, just the coloring that takes away from the creepiness and kinda reminds me of the "Bo Peep" doll in Toy Story that the main character flirts with at the beginning.

8. Delowyn

haha yes, I agree. These are not the final colors though, so don't worry. I haven't even started painting any textures yet. The colors you see are just those that I apply to the geometry so I can differentiate all the mesh parts from each other while modeling. It's also a quick way to experiment with basic color schemes for when I do finally get to doing the textures.

9. BigKevSexyMan

Yeah, I can really start making out the face so far. I like how you can sort of see the ghost glow through some of the clothing. It makes him look more ghostly.

10. Delowyn

Re: Hollow Man WIP - update 4

Update 4 (finally)

I haven't had time to work on this at all since my last update. Finally got some time last night and this evening, so I busted it out quickly.

Textures and shaders are finished. Rigging and cloth simulations are next, then he will be completely done.

Click for larger image:
    [​IMG]

And a variation with the smoke effect in place. I'm not sure if it's such a good idea after all. Looks like his feet are smoldering.
    Click for larger image:
    [​IMG]

11. Holyknight3000

amazing texturing again delo, love both variations. The detail is so fine its just great. I also like the touch of the runes going down the side of the robe there.

12. BigKevSexyMan

.....................badass.

The detail is awesome.

If you're not comfortable with the cloud, you could try making it a bit wider and longer. That might make things look a bit better.

But I reiterate.................badass........

13. oOmpie

oOmpie Diabloii.Net Member

Amazing to see something that is just a shape turin into something that had so mush feel to it overnight.

If you were to experiment a little more with the smoke effect and want to make it look like the underworld is tugging at him you might wanna try and make the smoke a lot more dense at the floor andmake the cloth of the robe seem to materialize out of the smoke as it gets less dense. This will probably make the feet invisible or only JUST shine through, but maybe it's worth a try.

14. Zankarst

Zankarst Diabloii.Net Member

Wow, the detail on that is really good lookin'.

15. Delowyn

Re: Hollow Man WIP - Finished

Alright, he's finished! I went ahead and made a wallpaper of him for you. The smoke/black void effect didn't work out. I tried different variations and it just looked better without it. I did make him subtly start to phase out around his feet, though. You might want to edit your wiki page for this guy and add the image.

Click for larger image:
    [​IMG]

16. CCCenturion

CCCenturion Diabloii.Net Member

Awesome picture. Good call there, abandoning the smoky feet. That picture looked like he'd just taken off a pair of socks he'd been wearing for months.

17. BigKevSexyMan

You went well beyond the standards here. Great job, I already uploaded it to the Hollow Man page. The fade at the base makes a real difference.

I really appreciate all the effort you put into this, it came out really great.

Now everyone else give Delowyn praise or I will come to your house and beat you savagely until you do.

18. Holyknight3000

Just amazing as ever Delo, /cheers

19. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

20. Delowyn

This looks very neat and quite interesting. I will certainly keep it in mind. I've already started preliminary work on my next project, but I'm bookmarking your thread.