Hockey Is Back

LoVePlAyBoY

Diabloii.Net Member
errr i posted this yesterday ^___________^

i'm kinda more interested in who has the first draft pick, crosby ^____^

it is the great sport indeed.

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
I really don't think that anyone cares, aside from the hardcore hockey fans. I liked hockey, watched it occasionally. But it's been gone a year and I've hardly noticed. I enjoy having that much more of SportsCenter dedicated to sports I really like. Hockey can not even call itself one of the big 4 sports anymore. Poker has surpassed hockey, as sad as that is. (Not saying poker is a sport btw).

The NHL should go to an Olympic sized rink, remove the center line, and cut down on the goalie's pads. That is the best way to get the mainstream into hockey. ESPN 2 did more work promoting Hockey than the NHL ever did. They had a show that was an actual live game broadcast, while the announcers explained the ins and outs of hockey thoughout the course of the game. The NHL needs to push for a couple more showings of that, on the real ESPN, and in a good almost primetime spot.

CloneStar

Diabloii.Net Member
LoVePlAyBoY said:
errr i posted this yesterday ^___________^

i'm kinda more interested in who has the first draft pick, crosby ^____^

it is the great sport indeed.
see the other post. All is explained :thumbsup:

ilkori

Diabloii.Net Member
PatMaGroin said:
I really don't think that anyone cares, aside from the hardcore hockey fans. I liked hockey, watched it occasionally. But it's been gone a year and I've hardly noticed. I enjoy having that much more of SportsCenter dedicated to sports I really like. Hockey can not even call itself one of the big 4 sports anymore. Poker has surpassed hockey, as sad as that is. (Not saying poker is a sport btw).
Sad, yes. Hockey is one of those games best watched live. It is gaining momentum in the northwest US still, but not on an NHL level.

PatMaGroin said:
The NHL should go to an Olympic sized rink, remove the center line, and cut down on the goalie's pads. That is the best way to get the mainstream into hockey. ESPN 2 did more work promoting Hockey than the NHL ever did. They had a show that was an actual live game broadcast, while the announcers explained the ins and outs of hockey thoughout the course of the game. The NHL needs to push for a couple more showings of that, on the real ESPN, and in a good almost primetime spot.
That would be one of the quickest ways to ruin the game that there is. There is a lot more to the game than big numbers on the final score.

I think they should lower the restrictions on penalties to where they used to be. Every team should have an enforcer to protect the good players. Letting a team get away with roughing up a good player on the other team, then taking them both out of the game encourages hostility. Hockey gets flack as a "violent" sport, but the number of injuries sustained is still less than Football or Basketball. Not to mention they tend to be far less serious. Even the number of sprains in Baseball is comparable.

DOC

Off Topic Moderator
Hockey may not have as large of following as other games but it is still far more of a 'sport' than a game like baseball. I am glad to see it back.

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
hockey fell behind football for me, thats alot of ground lost, I don't know how hockey will make it back, for me anyways

ilkori

Diabloii.Net Member
College or Sub-pro (i.e. WHL or equivalent league) games are the most exciting. There is still enough skill to see good playing, and the games are even faster paced (rather than strategic). Not to mention, you can get into some college games for $5 or less. That beats a night out to the movies.
:thumbsup:

SuggestiveName

Diabloii.Net Member
DOC said:
Hockey may not have as large of following as other games but it is still far more of a 'sport' than a game like baseball. I am glad to see it back.
Ignorance. Can you throw a baseball 85-95 mph? Can you hit said baseball with a bat? Can you catch said hit baseball as it zooms toward your face with only a piece of leather to stop it? Can you sprint 90++ feet after hitting said baseball? Can you do this night after night after night for months on end??

Can you collect $200 for passing Go? Can you king me?

There are games, and there are sports, then there is baseball.

I demand less ignorance among moderators.

ilkori

Diabloii.Net Member
Sounds more like an olympic competition than a sport to me. Sports are where everyone on the "field" is "doing" something. Or close to everyone since goalies tiend to be out of the way when things aren't at their end. Baseball is all about three people 90% of the time. Everyone else is supporting cast.

Ranger14

Diabloii.Net Member
Some of the changes being discussed are changing the lines, increasing the width of the net and I forget what else they were talking about on ESPN. They need to make the game more entertaining or it will never make a comeback. It already ranks behind golf and Nascar for popularity and the last playoffs were pre-empted for the WNBA. I just don't see it surviving after the whole season off. The borderline fans, like me, will not go back to watch now and only the hardcore fans will survive. I don't know if hockey can survive that and make money.

Beowulf

Diabloii.Net Member
Making the rinks Olympic size will never happen, simple economics. It would cost the owners 100s of thousands to change their buildings and they would lose a fair number of seats so not going to happen.

The center ice line might be removed and goalie equipment will be made smaller. What this will do for the game only time will tell.

CloneStar

Diabloii.Net Member
SuggestiveName said:
Can you catch said hit baseball as it zooms toward your face with only a piece of leather to stop it?
Ack. I would rather take that 90 mph fastball to the genitals than watch one inning of baseball. Not even you can argue that the former would not be more exiting. :winner:

Give us hockey or give us ...

can you say knuckleballs here :eek:

Lostprophet

Diabloii.Net Member
Suggy said:
Ignorance. Can you throw a baseball 85-95 mph? Can you hit said baseball with a bat? Can you catch said hit baseball as it zooms toward your face with only a piece of leather to stop it? Can you sprint 90++ feet after hitting said baseball? Can you do this night after night after night for months on end??

Can you collect $200 for passing Go? Can you king me?

There are games, and there are sports, then there is baseball.

I demand less ignorance among moderators.
Well said, sir. Well said.

This coming from a diehard hockey player and fan.

You don't like baseball, fine. No need to casually belittle all the athletes who play it.

That said, good to see hockey back in the running. There was that horrible period earlier this winter after football was done where all I had to watch was... the NBA. Shudder.

DOC

Off Topic Moderator
ilkori said:
Sounds more like an olympic competition than a sport to me. Sports are where everyone on the "field" is "doing" something. Or close to everyone since goalies tiend to be out of the way when things aren't at their end. Baseball is all about three people 90% of the time. Everyone else is supporting cast.
Amen, one person can't change the fate of a game, but in a sport he can.

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
Lostprophet said:
There was that horrible period earlier this winter after football was done where all I had to watch was... the NBA. Shudder.
it was a nightmare shared by us all, I never bothered to get cable set up at my apartment, I figured I'd wait and see what happened with the NHL

didn't watch much tv...

skihard

Banned
The thing with baseball is that what it's fans say is the most exciting game is really nothing more than 2 guys playing catch (the no hitter). Hockey on the other hand is constant action, it is also more impressive, to me, than other contact sports. The fastest Football player in the league can run about 10 mph. It's the odd hockey player that can't get to speeds of 15+ mph with most easily getting to 18 mph and then hitting somone else. That's good stuff.