Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hmmm SP HC a mistake?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Dethseeker, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Dethseeker

Dethseeker Diabloii.Net Member

Hmmm SP HC a mistake?

Since I haven't played SP in years I had forgotten about the FE bug unitil a few moments ago when I read another post. This got me thinking about maybe I should play SC instead. I can remember Nith killing me from off the screen with his legendary CE's. And lets not think about the FE ancients. To be truthful I have not had any problems as of yet, but I am on mid way through NM so far, so it will get worse I am sure. All you who have experienced this let me know what you think please! After I get my Summoner rolling I want to make a leap attack barbarian and don't want him to die when I smash something in the face with a polearm! Not sure I can go back to SC though even in SP...

2. isengart

isengart Diabloii.Net Member

I think it is all about your own attitude and your expectations. If you play HC then you should be sure about the fact that your character WILL die. - The interesting part is to find out when.
    If you want to try out many different builds - go HC. It will give you the chance to test for sure. ;)

If you are more the "keeper-style" player, meaning you want to keep all you got, that includes gear and characters, then go SC.

Personally I think I will do my left SC charcters as far as I like them and then switch fully over to HC, where I already have 3 characters running.

3. piscene

piscene Diabloii.Net Member

HC is a big mistake. Only people with deep, psychological problems would play that way. :D Of course, thats just my opinion, since I'm known to cry like a little girl when one of my characters dies in SC.

There are a lot of people here who play HC, and do very well at it, including our esteemed mod, AE. But, FE bug or no FE bug, only do it if you can really handle losing a character that you've invested all the time in. I know I can't.

4. colony

colony Diabloii.Net Member

As an ex-HC player, I'd say the biggest threats in 1.10 are FE Ancients in NM and Hell, and not having the right equip. on when fighting gloams. Normal FE uniques can generally be avoided (well I can't remember losing a character to an FE monster). With melee characters it is a lot riskier, but if you get out of range when you have them at low health, and your merc can take the kill it isn't too big a problem. Just stack up as much life and blocking as possible. A HC character without blocking will be very risky indeed.

Melee HC guardians are achievable, although a barb will have a much easier time with BO than other melee characters. My zealot got to hell Act 1, and reached lvl70 before Corpsefire got him (I think it was there anyway).

Max'ing resists is almost essential in NM and Hell, if you can manage it. Of the guardians I've made in 1.10 one was a melee character (a conc barb), 1 was a caster (hammerdin), and 1 was a LF/FA zon. 1.10 HC is doable, but expect to die on the first one or 2 tries.

God luck, you'll need it:thumbsup:

edit: I forgot to add a solution to IM problems (that worked very well with a pally, but might not be as useful with another melee class). Just get a bow with decent damage on your weapon switch, and get a lot of +AR. Kuko Shakaku (I think that's how it's spelt) works well for this

5. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe Diabloii.Net Member

i've never played HC, but my understanding was that FE ancients was mostly ainstadeath when at a high Player setting rather than just normally (where it's just a huge problem). I could be wrong though

6. colony

colony Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not sure about NM, but in Hell it will kill you instantly even on p1, with 95 fire res, although maybe if you had about 7k life you could possibly survive 1 hit. IIRC someone calculated the actual damage, and it was basically impossible to survive in Hell

7. PyroStock

PyroStock Diabloii.Net Member

Melee characters can do well in HC, it just takes using some different tactics. You have to play safer, if you move the cursor over a creature his stats come up, so above all else look for that FE asap. Kinda look before you leap. And if it's there back off. You might have a ranged weapon on weapon-switch or somewhere to deal with IronMaiden anyways, if let not your Merc or Minions make the kill.

Ironically, a higher /players# setting can help if you're reckless so you don't 1 hit kill a FE. I find it also good to know a character can survive on their own in a higher /players# setting if a MP game does occur. But I wouldn't recommend this for the Ancients. FE Ancients are the worst, flee and look at their mods as soon as possible with a teleport or ESC ready. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Some HC melee characters are more vulnerable than other melee characters. My L73Paladin has 985 life in Hell, my 2-handed L87Werewolf has over 4000, a vine healing him and 3wolves (or Grizzly tank)... guess who needs Block, DamageReduction and Resistances ALOT more than the other? You also cannot be killed in shapeshifter form, if your life drops below 0 you turn human and have 1 life (which is nothing to depend on as it makes you easy prey to poison or anything even while this unshifting is happening and you can't move while the unshifting is happening). I have a L43 HC Whirlwind Barb and I think he's going to be quite vulnerable to FE since he can go a second or 2 with hitting and be completely out of my control. But he's NMAct1 and he's fun for now. :D

I recommend also playing a melee SC character. Use this character to "test the limits" and for when you're wondering what you can get away with. Without a SC character you could start wondering "How close can I get to a FE when he dies and still live?" and other such questions you don't want to test on HC. It's also a great way to practice rerolling FE Hell Ancients.

When your HC character does die it's best to delete them immediately so you don't have a dead character constantly looking at you in the start up menu saying "You killed me." :stoned: Start a new one of that class and avenge their death. ;)

8. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard Diabloii.Net Member

I played SC until:
    1) I mat/patted 9 characters and one of each class
    2) I grailed to the point where I'd go days without picking up a drop.

Then I switched to HC, and really find it to be quite refreshing. I'll probably go back to the SC characters later, but the HC characters I've been cautiously playing with are holding my attention for now. I've even gone into the Hells ancients with my trapper only to be told to come back when I'm more worthy.

I've lost one character+equipment to the FE bug which taught me not to pile all the best equipment on one character and play while drinking. Learning is really why we are playing this game... in some abstract sense.

9. tenaka

tenaka Diabloii.Net Member

It comes down to what your goals are when you sit down and play. Do you want a realistic chance at perfect, high level chars and a self found grail-1? Play SC. Do you want to try a lot of different things and challenge yourself as much as possible? Play HC. Want both? Eat AE's brain and therefore absorb his power.