Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hmm..thought this would stop happening to me

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Leaf, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Leaf

Leaf IncGamers Member

Hmm..thought this would stop happening to me

I can't believe this is still happening to me. Hm, maybe I'm too innocent to believe that racism no longer exists. I have gone through middle, high school then to college (am a sophomore currently) believing that people will mature and stop making fun of others. Sorry to be "airing my grief" to you guys.

What happened today was: I finished my Chem. lab final and was heading home. It was traffic hour and I was stuck at this busy intersection waiting for the light to turn green (so I can turn left). Well, as I was waiting for the green light, this van was heading the opposite direction and I sort of just glanced at the driver (a guy). It was then that I noticed that the driver in the van actually took his time to brake, roll his window down and say: “ching chonnng choooouuunnng!!†:grrr: and speed off (yes, I'm Chinese). Oh, and that guy was Spanish, cuz I distinctly heard the Spanish accent.

Well, the point of this thread is to let other members of OT talk/share about their moments when they were ridiculed because of race, gender, fashion..etc. :buddies:

2. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

That is bizarre. Did he seem drunk? How young did he seem?

He must have just recently been wronged or feel wronged by someone of Asian descent, because that just seems too stupid for my faith in humans to stay intact without further reasoning.

3. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

doesn't seem out of place to me, certainly corresponds to my faith in humans

nobody ever makes racist comments at me, because I don't think anyone can ever tell what I am, if they ever got it right I'd probably be too impressed or surprised to be offended

4. toader

toader Banned

Stay quiet you damn 1/2 Mexican ;)

@Leaf

Welcome to the forums first of all. Hope you find all the answers to life's mysteries in your stay here :lol:

About what the person said to you.... I dunno if there is a difference in racism and stupidity, but it seems to me the person you had an encounter with was, well, for lack of better words, just plain stupid or ignorant. Im sorry that this happened to you, and I hope you dont put too much stock in it or worry about it too much.

5. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

I mean, dont get me wrong, I am certainly not a stranger to racism. I have lived my whole life in the south. I just havent seen it acted out in such a seemingly random and pointless way like that.

6. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

the problem is there are no good zydeco/mariachi jokes

7. Leaf

Leaf IncGamers Member

Ya, I’ve been lurking among OT for a while :lol: and to Yaboosh: I don’t know if that guy was drunk or not, but I recall that he was driving a white, dusty van. He had on a cap and his face was tanned. His age range (IMO) was 21-40. Oh, and I live in the south too (Florida). :flip:

8. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

If it wasnt a van I would almost believe that was my friend. He just cant stop harassing other drivers.

9. Professor Blasto

Professor Blasto IncGamers Member

Eh, it's human nature. We fear what is different from ourselves: skin-color, religion, etc.

That is one hypothesis on what happened to the neanderthals. Some scientists believe that the cromagnons killed the neanderthals because they were different.

Anyway, people deal with this fear by making fun of, hurting (physically or emotionally), and putting others down.

10. Cygnus434

Cygnus434 IncGamers Member

Hmmm, that is a rather unfortunate incident.

But, I wouldn't be too upset by it though, racism is just, in my opinion, a way for people to add drama to their lives, lol.

Ya, my theories are so awesome, eh?

Racism exists everywhere, and it really can't be helped that much. I say just ignore it and hope it goes away.

I am a white hispanic (my dad is from puerto rico, my mom is a yankee from arkansas) and I look like a pale wasp. I got teased in middle school because I was white(well, appeared so--I could speak some spanish and that threw them for a curve) because I went to an inner-city school that was mainly populated by african-americans.

You just have to roll with the punches and ignore it, it really doesn't mean anything.

11. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Fairly benign, really, as far as racist insults go. Rather funny just because adults can be that ignorant; I could see kids doing that sort of childish stuff to each other, but adults?
    If he hadn't been driving he probably would have used his fingers to make Chinese eyes at you too. What a pathetic joker.

12. th5418

th5418 Banned

In my Physical Education class, the mexicans in my class always refer to chiense people as ****ing chinos.

13. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Fight fire with fire, let them know how it feels. Worked for me.

14. KillerQueen

KillerQueen IncGamers Member

One night my husband and I went to a gas station while we were getting new tires for our car.
    There was a group of black guys standing outside, and they started making fun of my husbands pants. Saying they were too tight. They weren't tight at all, but they weren't hanging off his *** either.
    Then they asked us what we were doing in a black gas station.
    We just ignored them and went on our way.

When I lived way down south in California I was constantly made fun of for being white. Got used to it after a few years, but it still just ticks me off how racist some people can be.

15. Jonas

Jonas IncGamers Member

I wouldn't worry about it, Leaf. This guy in the van sounds like he's a couple fries short of a Happy Meal.

Suprisingly, I haven't ever really had any problems with racism in my life.

16. EEJ

EEJ IncGamers Member

I dont see alot of it here in canada but whenever I'm in the states I always see it. Just like KQ said in southern california the black guys were outside the corner store with there cars just standing there and I was looking at them becuase that seemed kinda weird to me and they pipe up saying "What chu looking at white boy" I thought it was kinda funny so I just walked inside. After I got out one of them came up to me asking me all these questions becuase I laughed and once h found out I wasn't from there he gave me a dirty look and walked off... I dont get it is it that differant down there.

17. dodomac

dodomac IncGamers Member

I'm sure you walked inside because you thought it was funny...

Racism isn't new guys, suck it up.

18. Akira

Akira Member

Well, i doubt he was in a gas station to admire the view, chances are high if you're doing something in a gas station it's going to involve walking inside so you can give the nice man the money for whatever you're buying.

19. EEJ

EEJ IncGamers Member

er... I walked inside to get somthing I just thought it was funny when i got there.

20. dodomac

dodomac IncGamers Member

Oh yea I would have ruffed all of em up with my one strong arm of doom, while strumming a banjo and skateboarding.