Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hlap Hloop - the psychic hammer guardian

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by farting bob, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Hlap Hloop - the psychic hammer guardian

:jig:
    Yes, as those who read the dailies will know, recently ive been spending alot of time working on my HC psychic hammer sin. Well now i am glad to report, she has beaten Baal for the final time, and becomes my first, and probably the lowest damage dealing guardian in 1.10 SPFland.
    Now, a word on psychic hammer. Looking at this skill its hard to see why someone would use it beyong normal blood moor. It does a pitiful amount of physical and magic damage, combined with knockback. It certainly is a contender for the worst skill in the game, along with increased stamina and any druid skill. It has no synergies, does not synergize anything else, and the damage increase per skill point is at best, +2 each time.

I began my journey through hell standing at a small camp held by the rogues. They warned me of danger and were shocked when i demonstrated my talents. "How can you beat such evil, with nothing but your psychic abilities?" they asked.
    Well, i showed them wrong, and after a NDE in the cathedral (damn PI's) me, my trusty shadow warrior (who only used the skill i used, along with melee) and my faithful might merc, i faced andy.
    Taht nipple peirced foul mouthed woman put up a good fight. My merc just couldnt take it so i left him in town while i took her on. The main problem was not that andy wasnt alone. My killing was soo slow there was no way i could kill the rest of the monsters in the room with her, in particular a PI conviction zombie. My merc couldnt hurt him, i could barely hurt him, and his conviction was just what andy wanted. Eventually, i managed to take her down though, ignoring the zombie and constantly recasting SW for the distractions.
    Andy fight: spent a long time with 1 hp, 4 merc revivals, 11 trips to town and 20 minutes.

Act 2 started well, slowly killing radament, but having real problems with a PI dung beatle who was killing my merc very quickly. PI's were the main problem at this point, so i decided to ditch my might merc and go back to get a HF merc for the protection and a bit of elemtal damage. He was lvl 45, and purely on pindle and eldritch runs (in nm) i brought him up to my lvl 75. then kept a reapers toll on standby to decrep the PI's in his way.
    Maggots lair took a whole hour to do, and arcane i was lucky. With hundreds of ghoosts and merc getting stuck, i fortunately picked the right direction first time.
    Duriel wasnt too bad, since now with decrep being active, it was simply a matter of keeping merc alive and avoid getting too close.
    Duriel fight: 3 merc revivials, 7 trips to town, 10-15 minutes.

Act 3 started well, slowly. My merc has no AoE attacks, and apart from CoS, which doesnt hurt anything directly, i dont have anything else for groups of monsters. So 1 flayer at a time we beat them down. Particularly torublesome areas included the flayer dungeons and trav. The council took about 10 minutes to kill, and after i killed the first 1 i noticed the other 2 were being healed by a healer behind the temple. Damn. Go kill the healer, then go back to the council.
    Duriel himself took about 10 minutes to find, another 10 minutes to clear durance 3, and once again proved a problem for my merc, but he did go down, mainly to OW from my draculs (just kept on clawing for a bit, then sit back and let merc kill) and CB from hone sundan.
    Duriel [edit: ok, it was actually meph, duriel was on holiday in the jungles at the time. lost in great marsh i think.] fight: down to about 100 HP from a direct hit (scary stuff) but apart from that ok. 5 merc revivials, 9 trips to town, 15 minutes.

Act 4 started well. I was confident and because there isnt many large groups of monsters in the early part, the only problem i had was a stone skin extra fast stygian hag. She and her pack kept on pumping out babies (their horny devils arent they?) And distracting my merc. The CS however, was a whole different ball game. Greeted by a rabid pack of venom lords and OBK's, it took about 30 minutes to clear the CS in total. The 3 seal bosses werent too much trouble. merc died to the venom lords after i forgot to CoS them. In total we had 9 merc deaths (7 of which were IM) and that was before diablo came to play. I started well, my merc dieing in the first attack and me losing half my life. Then i cast a TP, realeased that i shouldnt when diablo is right next to me, so didnt go through it. Then i carried on attacking and suddenly diablo did his proson thing on me. not the TP. Panic!!!! I didnt want to quit and waste an hour or more of work, so i thugged a rejuv and tried to escape. For some reason i did escape, then ran to the RoF and made it safely back to town. After that my merc did ok, and i didnt have any more NDE's. Diablo was slain, and i was 1 act from victory.
    Diablo fight: 8 merc deaths, 13 trips to town, 25 minutes.

Act 5 went well, no major problems until I came to the frozen river, where i got blasted by 7 hell witches orb things at once, and when i jumped back to town i had less than 80 life. I slwoly moved along until the ancients, which i had always predicted would be my biggest challenge. Oh boy. On FE, no PI's, talic was extra strong. Not too bad mods really. My merc died in about 10 seconds and CoS and p hammer doesnt work on them, so i was helpless. Take 2 saw my merc last almost a minute, but all 3 ancients were still alive when he died, so i had a long way to go.
    Take 3 was FE, as was take 4, and take 5 had PI's.
    Then came Take 6. I had quit and muled on some extra goodies, such as 30 more ful rejuvs and my secret weapon. Widow maker.
    I know its going against my Phammer only rule, but i wasnt going to kill them with just that and my merc.
    So then a big game of cat and mouse ensued, me betting a couple of GA shots in, them getting to close and me running around more. Korlic fell first, and madwac second. Talic was a pain (stone skin, magic resistant) and took a bit longer, but they fell and i was proud.
    Ancients battle: merc died pretty quick all times, 6 attempts, final battle lasted over 40 minutes.

So, the WSK... Lvl 1 was quick, i found the stairs near the entrance in a couple of minutes.
    Lvl 2 had OK's in, so was a pain, but with CoS the rest of the packs fell (OK's arent blinded by CoS) So just a cas of hoping they wouldnt casst IM.
    Lvl 3 had gloams and undead stygian dolls. Nasty business but i cleared it.
    throne of destruction had frenzytaurs, dolls and hell witches. Cleared it with no problem, but achmel was a pain in the rear, killing my merc and not being worried by CoS. However he dropped me a green kraken shell (Mavina's) for my efforts, which is more than usual.
    Lister was annoying, but thankfully i manged to seperate the minions and then just used knockback from P hammer to keep them against the wall while my merc did the business. Lister was annoying, but not too dangerous.

Baal himself. crap. Attempt 1 saw him really hurt my merc even when under decrepand his clone kept on coming. I had gotten about 1/4 of his life gone when the major heart-attack-inducing moment came. I was down to about 1/4 life and began to run for the TP i had cast earlier to pick up more rejuvs. All i had on me was a few Super healing potions. Then his frost thing with knock back hits me and pushes me in the wrong direction. Down to 30 life. Theni watch as he gets ready to do the same attack (ive learnt the attack animations by now) That would surely finish me off.
    Run for my life, the cold wedge muisses me by about half a body's width, and i go to town ok. phew...
    Anyway, the rest of the battle was uneventful, a pattern of going to town, reiving / healing merc, then chipping away at baal but he was slain, and OMFG i had my first guardian!!! His drop was as usual stingy (venom ward was only unqiue he dropped.) But i didnt care.
    Baal fight: NDE with frost wedge, 41 (yes, thats right) merc deaths (leaving me near the end with no money and i had to go back and kill stuff in act 1 to sell rares), 93 town visits, 1 hour 10 minutes (with about 10 minutes killing for gold)

W00t!!!!!!11!!! Guardian Hlap_hloop! :cool:

Oh, btw, she's now dead, thanks to my traditional moo moo farm fun, and some bad running away which led me into a large group of Fanat cows.

:jig: *more jigging*

Sorry for the long read.

EDIT: stats coming in a minute.

Hlap_Hloop
    Hardcore Assassin
    level: 80
    exp: 716,137,315

Strength 68
    Energy 25
    Dexterity 158
    Vitality 234

Skills:
    20 P hammer
    20 CoS
    20 Shadow warrior
    20 BoS
    4 fade
    6 claw mastery
    1 weapon block (prereq)

Equipment of note:
    eth Bartucs (widowmaker on switch after ancients)
    Sanctuary runeword (69% res all)
    Rockstopper helm
    SoJ, ravenfrost
    Draculs grasp
    Sandstorm trek
    Duriel's shell
    Lots of mana charms, some with life, some with res. 1 skiller.

Merc had my 1052 max dmg hone sundan and reapers toll (in inv when not needed), vamp gaze and toothrow (fire res, OW)

2. Artagas

Artagas IncGamers Member

amazing. I would have doubted anyone can get past normal Andy with PH.
    You are teh man.

3. Vargas

Vargas IncGamers Member

You must had a lot of free time to play DII with you bane :lol: . Okaerinasai (welcome back)!

4. Sleepless

Sleepless IncGamers Member

Congrats on the guardian.

However, I have a question :

Your hone sundan , ohm , 45/15 and 45/14 max were HC ? :rolleyes:

5. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Since when is Duriel in act 3 :scratch: ......oh well on the typo, congrats on this amazing guardian fb :)

6. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

:worship: could you spend a moment talking about your 1337 PH tactics? Doesn't even seem possible.

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

No, but i have no problem in mixing my HC and SC items between the characters. *disclaimer* i dont MP HC, and all the tourneys and groups and such i do that might be effected are untwinked anyway.
    @vargas: yes, in 1 day i must have played over 12 hours of D2, mostly in this character or my new shock web assassin, who is actually very powerful sitting in act 1 hell.
    @skunk: General tactic was if it was single, or a few monsters, i would hammer 1 while the merc killed the other. against boss packs i would stand behind merc and SW hammering the boss so that his potentially dangerous atrtacks wouldnt have a chance at landing on my merc.
    Packs were dealt with by suing CoS, then picking off them 1 at a time.
    PI's were often just pinned against a wall and merc who had HF would slowly kill it, or i would cast CoS and run off before it noticed.

8. HBeachBabe

HBeachBabe IncGamers Member

it's amazing how much D2 playing you can get in (the goals you can achieve) when not spamming huh?
    3/4 congrats (the twinking of a sc merc weapon costs you 25% of a congrats) so ngrats or congra if you prefer (or perhaps ongrat or even cngrts)

9. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

Congrats on that extremely short-lived guardian. ;)

Also, what's with them forum awards? :D

10. Sidhe

Sidhe IncGamers Member

Mhmm... Gratz on the Guardian!! And RIP Hlap Hloop... :( Kinda weird in one and the same thread... ;)

11. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Oh wow a merc killing gaurdian, be honest PH didn't even touch the surface of monster regen rates. how did you stop them from regenerating?

congrats :jig:

welcome back by the way.

12. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Merc had toothrow (40% OW) and i had draculs if i was really stuck.
    Anyway, i now need to play some cookie cutter because underpowered builds really take it out of you.

13. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

I have a question too...

If bob's assy died, did he lose his uber Hone and other good gear? Or did he just loot his corpse with ATMA... :rolleyes:

Grats on the Guardian btw

14. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Im still not sure if i want to loot the corpse. I havent deleted the character, so if i decide to loot it (some nice gear on her and the merc that i would really miss) i can do, but at the moment i wont be touching her.

15. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

Yet more proof that you're crazy. *shakes head* That's okay, we missed you anyway. GG fb!

16. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

That's pretty damn impressive. I know how long it can take playing an underpowered char. Next time, do it untwinked! ;)

17. LeorictheDark

LeorictheDark IncGamers Member

FB you are a wacky zany nut! :bonk: But big props to you for the 1337 build. I wouldn't have the patience. :thumbsup:

18. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

If you can use SC items on a HC char you can loot her corpse with atma, too. ;)

19. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Congrats! Hey, when you're playing a hardcore character, can I call you Hardcore Bob? I understand the handle is available.

- Noodle

20. cft

cft IncGamers Member

I agree with Fish: If you use SC items on a HC char (and take care not to mix in with the HC players around who dont approve) then you are allowed to loot the corpse.

Think of it this way: you basically played a SC character with really wierd personal rules which don't let you play the character again after it died.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.