Hiring Mercs

finalorder

Diabloii.Net Member
Hiring Mercs

Hello,

When hiring mercs, is it possible to hire them at a lower level than they show normally? I have a 76, and all the mercs, even in normal, are already in there 70s.. Is there a way to lower it so when I want to hire a merc, they will be, for instance, level 15, and then I can level them up from there?

finalorder

Poppis

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Hiring Mercs

All mercs will be 1-5 levels below you when you hire them. So the only way to get level 15(for example) merc, is to hire it with a level 16-20 character.

Nimbostratus

Diabloii.Net Member

If you want to level up a merc because of stats, don't worry about it. The only thing that determines mercenaries' stats is the difficulty you hire them in (Normal > Nightmare > Hell). The idea that level matters came from how mercenary levels used to be set in each difficulty (and thus the best stats were from leveled mercs simply because the normal difficulty ones were only hireable at low levels).

jimmah

Diabloii.Net Member

If you want to level up a merc because of stats, don't worry about it. The only thing that determines mercenaries' stats is the difficulty you hire them in (Normal > Nightmare > Hell). The idea that level matters came from how mercenary levels used to be set in each difficulty (and thus the best stats were from leveled mercs simply because the normal difficulty ones were only hireable at low levels).
^What he said.

Although I do miss the "merc level" games, they were kinda fun. :fire:

helvete

Diabloii.Net Member

The "hire" screen will lie to you about merc stats, though. The merc screen shows completely different (and mostly correct iirc) stats.