Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hire for Hammerdin!!

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by LegolaSBR, May 17, 2005.

1. LegolaSBR

LegolaSBR IncGamers Member

Hire for Hammerdin!!

i got a Hammerdin and a hire of act 2 - Hell - Defensiv, that cool...

but its keep dyeing too fast...

its gear:

Insight
    Crown of thieves
    Shaftstop

how was the best gear for it (insight needed) to its stop dyeing fast?

2. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hmm ok i employ a might merc with Insight for my bone/summon mf necro and he uses:

'Ral' 10%ll Andy Helm
    Duriel's Shell
    Eth CV Insight
    Vs Baal and freezing monsters that cannot be frozen from Duriel's helps a lot so he won't jab slower and leech back life after taking damage hehe Hope i helped

3. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

stone rw armor is never wrong either. extreme defense and 60%fhr makes him take hits more seldom. along with lifesteal from helm, he should do fine

4. rg_22uk

rg_22uk IncGamers Member

I cant agree more on using 'stone'. You could also try upgrading your shaftstop.

5. Bert

Bert IncGamers Member

True, but even the best gear will not stop your mercenary from dying in the Chaos Sanctuary. :(

Bert

6. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Your gear looks ok, the problem may be elsewhere. What level is your merc, and what level are the monsters you are fighting? Even the best equipped merc at lvl 24 is going to die alot in hell. He needs to be around monsters of his own level to increase his chance to hit, and hitting leeches, which will help him survive. Also, if he is too low a level, his life won't be high enough to absorb many hits from tough monsters.

Hammerdins are strong enough to get a little ahead of themselves on the levling curve. I suggest checking the "Level up" guide in the strategy compendium and taking your merc back to the appropriate level until he grows up.

7. LorveN

Maybe if you have something that can trigger lifetap curse, and combine it with extreme damage reduce :fish:
    Nah, but there is no meaning trying to have a melee merc that can solo chaos sanctuary... there is no meaning :p

8. LegolaSBR

its lvl 93 my merc (like my hammerdin)

and also, how can i find this level up guide?

and i go try this stone runeword to see or durys shell :)

9. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Level Up Guide:

http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=512

With the gear you list on a lvl 93 merc, I'm not sure what the problem is, unless you are expecting him to do something he can't really do, like run behind you all the way through the WSK. If you're going to do that, you'd better get him some uber gear. Otherwise, just feed him a potion every now and then and pay Larzuk when he dies, which really shouldn't be that often.

10. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob IncGamers Member

How are his resists? Merc's are pretty sensitive to elemental damage without good resists. I usually use a Tal's Horadric Crest for my mercs. It has resists, LL, +life.

Which area in the game is he getting killed, to what kind of monsters?

11. LegolaSBR

common for bartucs and souls

the res of his is: 75 52 52 52

12. LorveN

That is: He needs lightning resists...
    Try socket the helm with an Ort rune, that gives him an additional 30% light resist, which means he at least will have 75 ;)

13. rg_22uk

rg_22uk IncGamers Member

With a level 93 merc he shouldn't really need to. Mine is 93 and wearing Ral'ed Andy's and Stone he has 70%+ resists. Equipment wise, the way to go could be an upgraded guardian angel for the extra 10% on top of the base 75. And if you can acquire a CTA the BO will help out a lot.

Tactics: Souls are deadly if you stand about for too long, which unfortunately is what the merc will tend to do. Either use vigor and run straight through any soul packs or make sure you kill at least 50% of them very quickly. Stand next to the merc and set up a hammer protection field around you both. Move straight at the souls and then should move away from you and hopefully through the hammers.

14. Moosashi

Moosashi IncGamers Member

I used a Holy Freeze aura merc with my Hammerdin. I think his gear was Duriel's shell, Reapers toll and Crown of Thieves, though thinking back on it, a better choice for the helm would have been Guillames Face (set winged helm with deadly strike and crushing blow). Anyway, I never had a problem with him dying, he had maxed resists in Hell in his eighties I think.

15. creatine_rage_2002

creatine_rage_2002 IncGamers Member

I would trade out the Insight and replace it with an Obedience (it has +20 res...mine does anyway).

I have a HF Merc for my Hammerdin too...

He wears:

Crown of Thieves (12% LL)
    Eth Stone (2.5k def)
    Eth Obedience Great Poleaxe

Sometimes ill switch out the Obedience for an Eth Reapers Toll if im Boss Hunting (HF+Decrep)

16. rg_22uk

rg_22uk IncGamers Member

OT but just wondering, what did you make the stone in? Thats quite a low defense for an eth stone.

17. Battal Gazi

Battal Gazi IncGamers Member

i understand you, beacause palaadin can't use hammer succesfully from a distance, so what you have to do is,

use many resistance charms
    invest your most points in hp
    search a good armour, not only high def, but also +x voor resistances
    use holy shield

18. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hmm i was in a Hell baal game once and a cheeky hammerdin showed me his anti-souls set up namely a 110 resist all 'Sancuary' Kurast shield + wizardspike socketed with 15res all jewel and very likely a t-gods and those souls actually healed him lol. He then switched back to Hoto + Hoz when we faced baal's goons @ the throne :p In fact he could 'heal' himself with fire too if he slapped on dwaftstar and cold with ravens lol

19. creatine_rage_2002

creatine_rage_2002 IncGamers Member

It was in an Eth Boneweave with a starting def of 700. Not the best out there, but serves my purpose.

20. shizznitt

shizznitt IncGamers Member

merc on my 86 firesorc is a hell lvl85 with might aura. uses obedience with 705 dmg, eth corpsemourne with 1800+ def, and stealskull. currently has all res at 70 and by myself in the game, can easily survive act3 durance by himself. i upgraded to obedience from insight with 500+dmg.. was this a wise choice? he currently does 4K dmg per hit