Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Higher Tier = better skill?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Lefunz, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Lefunz

Lefunz Diabloii.Net Member

Higher Tier = better skill?

I want to know something. will it be possible to have a tier 1 skill as strong and useful as a....lets say a tier 4 skill.

I really did not like the fact that in D2 you had a few skills in the beginning, that became unuseful as your Character grew in levels. So It was boring, you could not really grow until you had all the pre-reqs for the skill you were going to use. These first skills that you used, but where not powerfull enough to be useful ( the Bolts of the sorceress, the necromancer's skeletons....ect..) And it created all the ''most-efficient-cookie-cutter-builds''

...You could still make many differents builds in D2, but efficient ones... Not many...It would be fun that a Tier 1 skill could be as powerfull as a Tier 2 or 3 skill...at lest as usefull and make them worthy of being invested by more than one point and mastered? :yes:

aah....I still remember this first fireball sorc I created before the patch came then everyone made one like it....but the new ones had synergy and new stuff on them. My old model became obsolete. :coffee:

2. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Higher Tier = better skill?

That seems to be the design intent of Diablo 3, especially with skill runes. Low level abilities give you basic bread and butter abilities, higher level abilities expand your options and add powerful, unspammable attacks.

http://d3db.com/pc/barbarian

Look at the Barbarian, for example. In tier 1 he gets Bash, Cleave, Rampage. If you want to go by old tree names, a Battle Master skill, a Juggernaut Skill, a Berzerker skill. Skill runes will end up transforming their functions to something more impressive. Now, if you look at the rest of the Barbarian tree, he really doesn't have duplicates of those skills below. Most of the higher skills look like something that you would cast at a particularly nasty monster group or elite or an in an emergency situation rather than your "go to" attack.

3. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

Higher tier = typically more advanced, but not necessarily more oftenly used skill. If you look at the barbarian skill tree you'll see he gets access to 3 basic but important attacks as early as the first tier. Conversely, the seventh tier offers three seemingly powerful but also situational abilities. Ideally, a barbarian will find uses for skills from both tiers.

4. Larik

Larik Diabloii.Net Member

with having all 7 skills fairly available it really seems like blizzard is doing their best to make all skills useful even at higher levels.

5. Kurogane

Kurogane Diabloii.Net Member

Even if a high tier skill was a clear upgrade to a low tier skill, I'd think the rune system would solve that problem.

Would I sacrifice the damage output of the high tier skill for a certain effect by socketing a rune into it? Or will I just stick that rune into the low tier skill.

Or if there were two effects I want, and I had two AoE direct DPS skills. Problem solved.

Provided Blizzard designs the difficulty properly, I think having a backup skill that does the same thing but less efficiently might not be that bad. Especially considering that skill cooldown seems to have a greater impact now than before.

6. yovargas

yovargas Diabloii.Net Member

This is #2 on my "ABSOLUTE MUST DESIGN GOALS" wishlist. (#1 being more challenging combat.) Sooooo many fun but useless skills in D2....

7. Thrakhath

Thrakhath Diabloii.Net Member

Lots of higher tier skills in D3 seem to be things like mass confusion - spells which are not crucial to a build.

Whereas zombie dogs are a level 1 skill, and I plan on building my first characer around them...

8. yovargas

yovargas Diabloii.Net Member

But I'm not really sure what mechanism you can use to make a lvl 1 skill scalable all the way through hell with only 5 (or maybe a handful more) skill points. The only way I've ever been able to think of is to tie damage directly to character level and I don't think Bliz likes that.

9. ManiaCCC

ManiaCCC Diabloii.Net Member

But from Blizzcon 2009, they said in one interview that damage will scale by level while ranks of that skill will improve skill in some other way.

Of course, It's 1 year old information from old skill system but I wouldn't say they don't like it. They even implemented this system in WoW few weeks ago. So..why not?

And please, don't ask me for a link... I am not going to search this interview.

10. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

they could use a system were you can add a point at level one but you need to be level 5 to add the second point, then level whatever for the 3rd and so on. also i am guessing if we get a point every level then all damage skills will be increased beyond 5. not sure how, going up in difficulty? quests? clvl? not sure but i am positive all damage skills will get increased.

if they dont put some restrictions on skillsand the first 5 levels you can have a maxed skill it will be bad for the game imo. look at titan quest for example. if you make a dream character and on the first level put all 3 points into distortion wave you become over powered. on the next level up if you put 3 more into it suddenly you can kill everyone in 1 shot. so i hope they have some form of level restrictions when adding points to skills so we dont see situations like that happen