Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

High Society

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freemason, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Freemason

Freemason Banned

High Society

Would you accept a 50 million dollar inheritence on the condition that you become a part of "high society" and live the live of a blue blooded snob?

If not for 50 million dollars, then how much would it take?

I wouldn't. Sure having a stable full of the best horses would be nice. Drive the best trucks. Own a 2,000 acre ranch. Aw crap. I couldn't be a blue blood, I'm failing to even imagine what it would be like.

Not to mention no longer being the guy rubbing down the horses after a long day on the trail.
    No longer playing poker in smoky old barns
    No longer going anywhere without being dressed to the nines.
    No more bucking my own hay.
    No more tackling drunken friends who are trying to jump the bonfire in the middle of a well used horse pasture.
    No more rowdy nights.
    No more crazy days.
    No more working the land and reaping the rewards.

The only advantage is I'd be able to afford the good scotch. Being that I drink beer and rum, that's not enough.

2. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

*shakes a fist*

I don't need dilemma's like this to think about!!

;)

3. Necrolestes

Necrolestes IncGamers Member

Money can't buy me love...well, it can, but that's illegal

I could never accept any money to join "high society". That would make me a hypocrite, after all my ranting and railing against the ridiculously high salaries of sports and movie stars. Snobbery just isn't for me and my soul and self-respect are out of anyone's price range.

4. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Lots of money to not live the life I want to? Nope. If you don't live the way you want, there's no point to being alive.

5. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

When i first saw the name of the post, i thought about a "High Society". No crime, lots of philosophy, but not much progress.... plus you're high all the time. Not a bad trade-off.

6. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

I've always said, if I came into money somehow, there are a few simple things I would want.

1. I want a freaking nice TV
    2. Always wanted a dodge viper
    3. Travel

If accepting 50 mil meant that I had to change my lifestyle completely... hell no. I like waking up on the kitchen floor next to the cat food.

7. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu IncGamers Member

There are two extremes. One being a "blue blooded snob" and the other end is being a backward hill billy hick.

Being that I fall somewhere in between, I have more to gain from the $50 million. So I will chose the money.

I would want a 10,000 sqft gated home, a nice private Gulfstream Jet, my very own 80 feet yacht, and a set of Italian sports cars.

I would want the very best survival chance money could provide for me to hike Mount Everest, reach the North and South pole, and sail around the world.

That said, it's an ironic question cuz the same reason we go to school, go to college, get a good paying job, and save money is so that we enjoy life. Handing $50mil would just get you there quicker.

8. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak IncGamers Member

Money doesn't limit how much fun you can have. Quite the opposite, it gives you more time to have fun and more places, things, and people to enjoy. It simply gives you access to things poor people don't have. I suppose its up to you. Poor and limited or wealthy and not.

I go to charity dinners, country clubs, and other rich people things all the time; its not that bad. Just make an appearance, get the face time, then leave.

Garbad

9. Lord_Shinnok

Lord_Shinnok IncGamers Member

you talkin bout dos peoples wit dem movin pictures?

10. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

If I suddenly became extremely wealthy, I'm not so sure all that much would change with me. I might get a few new toys, but I think I'd act pretty much the same and hang out with the same people.

If getting the money came with a condition I had to give up my lifestyle to become in the High Society and move to Beverly Hills or something, I'd have to give more thought to that. One big issue with having tons of money is that people (if they know) percieve and treat you differently. I'd think it'd be much harder to find true friends.

There would be some things that would be very nice about having large amounts of money. For one you could change things in the world to a point. Another, you don't have to deal with jobs you don't like.

I think I'd build my own state of the art danceclub and install myself as resident dj. Is that snobbish enough? I'd accept the money if so.

11. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

To any of you folks who answered that you wouldn't take the money if you had to change your lifestyle, I say: Malarkey.

Let's see what you do when the 50 mil is right there, in front of you, and all you have to do to take it is live like a rich person.

I mean, DUH. What the heck do you think you're gonna be with 50 milbucks more in your pocket, poor? RICH. And what do rich people live like? Rich people. You really going to cry about not playing poker in barns anymore? Crap, if it means that much to you, build a barn behind the mansion.

12. UserMathias

UserMathias IncGamers Member

I dunno, I kinda like high society.

Edit: Argh, MV beat me to it.

13. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

I have enough problems getting a girlfriend as it is, what makes you think I want to deal with golddiggers?

Besides, living like my grandparents would bore me to death. although I would gladly ship all of you guy and gals over to the mansion for a party.

14. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

I would take the $50 million and then try high society out. Then I would fake my own death and buy an island somewhere remote.

15. festers50

festers50 IncGamers Member

I"ve got the high all the time down pat ;)

16. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

I don't really "go out" or "talk to people" now, is part of this condition doing those things?

17. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

50 million just to join high society? For 50 million I'd kill you, wear your butt cheeks as earmuffs and dance the macarena and singing "500 Miles" by the Pretenders to your small intestine.

18. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Sorry. My butt cheeks will set you back no less than $55 million. You can't afford my intestines. :p

19. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I'd do it, but I'm not sure what you mean by living life as a blue-blooded snob. If that means that something inside my head changes and I start acting like a jerk to people or something, then maybe not. But if I just get $50 million with the stipulation that I have to act rich and do rich people things, I'd do it. It's not like rich people are inherently bad.

20. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

Well, I know both sides of the fence, yet I ended up as an Alaskan cargo pilot. Guess you can tell which way I went, although there was no 50 million dollars involved.

If I took 50 mil, I would have no problem fitting into the "high society" and it wouldn't feel too wierd; but I know it wouldn't make me happier than I am here in Alaska. I would buy my own jet for starters... but to be completely absorbed into high society I would have to move away from Alaska because that doesn't exist here. That is unacceptable.