Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

High level Barbarian dueler

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Costanza, May 19, 2005.

1. Costanza

Costanza IncGamers Member

High level Barbarian dueler

Hi!

My last project before I quit Diablo will be a ww Barbarian. I will play pvm and level him until he dies but I would also like trie to find some high level bvb duels. Since I don´t have all the items needed and I´m actually gonna play him I´ll have to add points in strenght, but how much can I add without ruining his chances in duels?

The items I have in mind is:

Angelics combo
    Gore riders
    Verdungos
    Dracul´s
    Arreat´s
    Stormshield

I don´t know about armor and weapon. I really want to use a sword because I can´t stand those small axes, would some sort of grief cut it? In a Sweihander? Duress/Fortitude in armor? If so in what kind of armor?

I haven´t really played barbs since 1.09 in SC.... And all the 1.10 BvB guides are aimed at SC so I need a helping hand. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

2. ADSL

ADSL IncGamers Member

If you are set on using ww, then the sc guides are not halfbad.

But zerk is really the only way to go in hc, atleast if you wanna kill a decent dueller. a decent high lvl dueller will have atleast 7k life and 50% dr, its pretty hard to kill that with ww before he drinks a rejuv.

I prefer to use steelrends over draculs.
    Your armor should be a fortitude of somesort i guess.

As for the weapon, you probaly got the grief zweihander idea from the sc forum, because its almost as good as a zerker axe, and always gets enough ias for the proper ww breakpoint. and its alot easiere to find.
    And yes its one for the best options for weapons.

Its hard building a barb as a pvm baba, and then be able to compete with barbs who havent spend a single ekstra point in str or dex.

3. Costanza

Well, getting ears are not that important, I just want to be able to test my barb against other ww barbs when I´m bored... But maybe it´s a stupid idea and I should stick to just pvm instead?

By the way, thanks for the quick respone!!!

4. ADSL

ADSL IncGamers Member

I can only speak about europe, but the only ww barbs you will find in pvp games are the IK barbs who wanna try and duel lvl 3x-4x. there is hardly any other ww barb, because they lack the ability to do well in bvb.
    Also ppl in general consider ww BM in duels, mainly because its a waste of pots duelling a good wwer.

5. Costanza

That´s bad news since I play EUHCL....

By doing well you mean 1 hit KO?

What other character can take a few hits in a duel, I don´t want to be one hit killed, and still get some duels? WW Druid?

Thanks again for your answers!

6. ADSL

ADSL IncGamers Member

By doing well, i mean collecting ears.

Zerk barbs are hard to KO, fury druids, fireclaw druids and even smiters are hard to one hit.

there is a good amount of zerk vs zerk duels, and also druid vs druid.
    and ofc zerk vs druid.

zerk and fury druids are probaly the easiest to build and duel with, without dieng.

7. Costanza

Maybe I should consider a zerker instead of ww... But a fury wolf would be easier to level, don´t you think?

8. ADSL

ADSL IncGamers Member

The thing is i hardly ever play druid, 99% of the ppl who use druids on europe, uses chicken. and i dont want to be taken as a chicken user.

And i love barbs!

But you might be right, a druid could be easiere to lvl.

9. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Fortitude + ethereal 'Oath' Colossus Sword is also a nice combo.

Against Zerkers you might want to switch out Angelic's for Highlord's/Raven.

At least 7k life? I'd say 3-4k is pretty reasonable and 4-5k is very good... 7k is pretty much unattainable by one character alone.

I don't have the same faith in Zerk that ADSL has. A good WW Barb with a decent amount of defense will rarely get hit by a Zerk Barb, if ever. Builds like WW, Smite, and even Zeal and Fury just eat up Zerkers because they hit so fast. If I were interested in competing and not necessarily getting a lot of ears, I'd make a WW Barb.

10. ADSL

ADSL IncGamers Member

3-4k is absolut minimum i would have on a lvl 53 barb. my lvl 59 barb has 5.3k, and thats with alot of max/life charms.

my standards puts a decent high lvl zerker at 7k, minimum.

Agree if i was a contest in who could make the other guy use more rejuvs, WW barb would be the best. but in my book its not. its whoever gets the ear, i could duel ww'ers all day. at some point they will make a bad ww and die.

my pot finding barbs gets 30-40 full per nm cow run. i hardly ever run of of rejuvs on my mules.

11. Costanza

Ok, I´ve decided to create a Barbarian, not a druid. I don´t like that red pony tail... However I still don´t know if I will use zerk or ww. I read a thread in the pvp forum about zerk, concentration and ww. I guess concentration is out of question and I fear it would be a pain to level a zerker, or is it viable to play pvm with just one point in ww?

Would it be terrible if I had like ~75 base strenght?

Thanks for the responses so far!

12. ADSL

ADSL IncGamers Member

Concentration is also a good choice. but it doesnt pack quite the same dmg as zerk, and also it can be halfed by dmg red.
    But its alot safer than zerk is, and it doesnt require as good reflexes with the rejuvs.

ww is viable with only one point in it, ofc its not as good as high lvl ww, but it would be ideal to have one point, even if you dont choose ww as main skill.

There is builds there is just plain out hard for a zerker, fx a 2 handed charger with some botd. their dmg is strong, but their life is really low, so you should be able to take them out with a single ww, maybe 2.

the base str should always be as low as posible. the best thing you can do, if you have to lvl him pvm without leeching, is plan ahead!

13. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

Waw, people saying ww sucks as pvpskill, it's a whole new world :lol:

If you have to chose between zerk and conc, zerk wins for most matchups. Conc is uninterrtuptable however, thats a big plus. Go for as low as possible str/dex for sure.1 point in wirlwind = excellent for pvm (= lvling).

HoD

14. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Oh - and when you plan out your end game gear...

Don't forget to plan out your mid and low level gear... if you can twink that as much as possible, you might well be able to save some more points even if you do have to PvM through the game.

It might even be worth it to go out of your way to try and pick up some of those items.

15. Costanza

It´s not like I have to play him through the game. I want to, because it´s my last diablo character (yea right).

So if my heaviest end game item would be Stormshield (156) and i got 20 str from Arreat´s, 30 from Stormshield, 15 from Dracul´s and 20 from Annihilus. Even with perfect stats (like above) I would need 71 base strenght or should I get the rest from charms? I thought it would be better to use vita charms? I can´t see how I should be able to use Steelrends or Oath CS for example with base strenght without enigma? I was under the impression I should aim for an armor with at least ~1500 def?

I think I got the skills under control if I decide to use ww:

Sword Mastery: 20
    Shout: 20
    Battle orders: 20
    WW: 20
    Stone skin: The rest
    And of course the usual 1 point wonders.

Oh, and what would be a good armor (<156 str) to make Fortitude of?

One again, thanks for the responses. It must be something special with the HC forum, it´s actually possible to ask a question without being flamed. Earlier today I read some threads in the PvP forum, :eek: say no more!

16. Carnage-DVS

Carnage-DVS IncGamers Member

WTF 7k life on high lvl baba? How is that even possible? My 1.9/1.1 barb were happy when they broke 4.5-5k hp.

Str bug abuse or something?

I used max/life charms btw

17. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Thank you...

18. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

Base str+base dex+base energy

My ww barb hits 4700 life, and he has enough dex for maxblock. The barb I made on singleplayer for some testing had 6900 life.

HoD

19. ADSL

ADSL IncGamers Member

Like i said my lvl 59 have 5,2 life. He would have more if i didnt use max/life charms.

But its posible due to base str, lvl 45 BO and almost base dex.

20. Costanza

I´m sure it´s possible to go base strength with a BvC type of barbarian but how do you do it if you want to use a high defense armor? Are there any good defense (>2000) armors with low enough strenght requirement?

Cheers!