Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

High-End PvM Zealot Gear Q&A

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Yerba, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

High-End PvM Zealot Gear Q&A

Hi all, I've recently been testing some different gear sets with a PvM Fanatic Zealot on Ladder and I want to bounce some questions off this forum to see what you all think about certain options I've been looking at. Remember pure PvM, Uber-capable, decent kill-rate with high survivability in Hell.

Question #1

For maxed resists in Hell (80/80/85/75) I need to wear either A.) CoH with Highlord's and 20/245 Raven or B.) Fortitude with Metalgrid and a resist ring.

With A I get a boost to CtA BO from CoH, that's the only real benefit there, I also get a damage boost with the DS from Highlord's and 20 Dex plus Cold Absorb from Raven.

With B I get 300% ED (which effects Smite unlike DS), a Life bonus, Chilling Armor and an extra 5 to max LR. I get more AR from Metalgrid and more defense and I won't have to rely on Dex from my second ring slot so I can continue to look for better rings with +All Res on them.

Choose A or B

Question #2

I recently obtained a nice shield for eExile and after 3 rerolls (yeah, ouch) I finally got a decent set. The kicker is that I've got an Eth 'Zod' Non-Up'd HoZ as well. I find I kill equally fast with either shield on. I find I get hit much less in melee with Exile. I like Exile Lifetap much more than Drac's Lifetap. My other gear allows for me to wear either shield with no extra hard Strength points invested.

The real question is, if you didn't need the Lifetap from Dracs, would you still use them to keep HoZ? If you could use Exile would you still use Drac's or would you switch them out for a pair of Blood Crafted or some other gloves?

Question #3
    Building off of Question #2 what gloves are the best possible in your opinion? This has been a real thinker for me over the last few days. Blood Crafted can spawn with craziness mods but since I'm not using any with stats at the moment the only useful mods for me are Life, Mana, Resists etc. and obviously the Crushing Blow. Is LoH / Bloodfist a better option?

I think that's all I've got for now. If you guys could answer by question number it would help me keep your answers straight in my head. Also, This isn't an "Exile vs. HoZ" type thread, Iv'e got particular needs and I'm using very specific setups so keep that in mind, If I need to provide more information about my build just ask and I'll post everything you need.

Thanks in advance! :grin:

2. niner

niner IncGamers Member

Raven has cannot be frozen mod, the main point of it. Slow Pally=dead Pally
    Dracs has no ias,CB,res stats. Blood much better cuz can be taylored for your needs. So therefore Exile over Hoz.
    AR shouldnt be a prob with max fana.

You should be fine till you try to clear Choas Sanctuary and WK lvls and throne room. Then you are at the mercy of Iron Maiden casting Knights which will make you commit suicide. Also to consider is stone skin PI monsters. You will need to keep some tape around for your mouse button on those and you wont be able to leech off of them as well.

3. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

I probably should have stated I'm using one Raven already (20/249). The question was whether or not to use that setup with 2x Ravens or use the Fort with 1x Raven and 1x Resist ring.

I never have problems with OKs anymore. It's all about tactics :thumbsup:

4. niner

niner IncGamers Member

rare/crafted ring with res/ml melee stats to make up any desrepancies you may need and RF is way Id go.

5. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

If you are using exile I agree with crafting blood gloves. It may take a few trys, but you can get some amazing combinations. I'd also consider a BK ring in the second slot. You can always make up resists with a 15 res all GC, but +1 skill, life, and leech are pretty hard to replace.

6. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

As far as Exile and Blood gloves I was also pretty sure with that to begin with, I'm just making sure I'm not missing anything; thanks guys.

Can anyone answer Question #1?

7. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

OK, I say option B for question #1 unless you need the IAS from Highlords. Your defense will be double, your AR will be higher, you'll have more life, and that little 5% extra LR makes a huge difference vs. souls.

8. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

No IAS needed, Grief PB hits last Zeal bp with any roll iirc. I'm also leaning towards option B since I can hit max resistances while still maintaining superb damage and being ridiculously hard to hit in melee. Would anyone raise objection to that?

Also I'm guessing niner is leaning towards Blood crafted gloves being the best Zealot gloves. Your thoughts Bjam?

Anyone else?

9. xix sephra

xix sephra IncGamers Member

many posts about this..... but if your using pb grief and have the coh and the fort already.. then this is what you should have in your stash:

1 angelic ammy
    2 angelic ring
    1 highlords
    1 metalgrid
    1 rare ring with res u miss/leech
    1 raven ring (not counting 1 you wear)
    1 dwarf star
    1-2 wisp
    1 tgods
    treachery

with this and your pb and exile you can freely swap gloves and thats about it.. unless you have COA... but with that stash you can use your 1pt smiter or full smiter in anything in the game.. swap vs what your fighting and nothing will beat you.

if u want a simple answer you have more than enough gear for ubers.. it can be done with 4diamond shields and smoke armor..... so im sure that it can work for you .... id use coh over fort because you need less charms for stacked res.. and if your dualing casters your gonna use it over the fort anyway prollly if their fire/lightning... fort if their cold... so having that all in stash would be super... If your a pvp as well you will need a friend to start picking up extra torches... personally i dont like to be tied down so i gave the past 3 torches away to friends or traded

ps plz tell me you rerolled it cuz you had a 45 res eth

10. Yerba

Yerba IncGamers Member

Thanks for your input xix, that's almost exactly what my stash looks like so I guess im gtg. I've done Ubers many many times and this is some gear I'm testing to optimize that event and general high-level PvM such as Pits. The point of the two setups I listed was to reach max res with no charms except Torch and Anni. With either setup I do hit my maximums: 80/80/85/75 with A and 80/80/90/75 with B with no extra charms. Would you still use a CoH?

I don't PvP at all so that's a non-issue and yes I did roll the Exile 3 times in a 45 res eth Vortex (clean when I got it, I pray it's not duped because I payed a prince's ransom for the damn thing). Its 16/250, I call that a keeper either way.