High end Merc gear?

Squidget

Diabloii.Net Member
High end Merc gear?

First, hello to all. Long time anonymous lurker, first time actually posting.

So, I have a moderate amount of wealth (except runes, never been above Um), and am currently Hell Meph running with a lvl 81 VegaSorc. After a couple hundred runs, I've a question about Mercs.

Can they get any better at tanking? :)

I've got a Act2-Def merc I brought up from normal, with a PD Duriels Shell, Bonehew, and Tal-Rasha's Crest. I've also got a ShaftStop, but the Shell seems to work better. Obviously with a PD-Shell, res is max.

I've not socketed the Crest or put anything in Bonehew yet, I want to see if anyone has suggestions on that. Is there anything better than the Strength runeword for Bonehew, given I've never seen any Ohms?

I'd say I TP about 2.5 times per average battle with Meph, simply because the Merc doesn't live long. I really don't like going without a Merc in that fight. So I pop a TP up right at the start, and jump in as soon as my Merc drops below about 25%. I can still run Meph very fast this way, but it would absolutely perfect if I could skip TPing at all.

I've not bothered to finish Act V hell yet, but I've noticed that the Merc is struggling there too. I've NEVER had him survive more than 2 hits from Thresh Socket, for example.

Also, as far as I know, Bonehew is as good as you get on damage. I also always see ShaftStop suggested as some of the best Merc armor, but it doesn't seem to really help much.

So, I'm looking for Merc advice in this order: tanking for Meph, tanking in Act V, and lastly anything else (such as damage).

Thanks!
 

ULTIMATER

Diabloii.Net Member
My Amazons Merc uses Reapers Toll for Decrep curse and upgraded Shaftstop and Gaze.

This gives him good LL, Max %PDR and other nice gravy mods :)

The Decrep curse slows Meph down and take more damage. And since he is slow, he doesnt hit so much, and you merc will live. :)

I would give him a Reapers Toll instead of a Bonehew. See if that helps.

btw, PD = Perfect Diamond? If it is, it doesnt help resists much in DuriShell. ;)
 

wildjinn

Diabloii.Net Member
Squidget said:
First, hello to all. Long time anonymous lurker, first time actually posting.

So, I have a moderate amount of wealth (except runes, never been above Um), and am currently Hell Meph running with a lvl 81 VegaSorc. After a couple hundred runs, I've a question about Mercs.

Can they get any better at tanking? :)

I've got a Act2-Def merc I brought up from normal, with a PD Duriels Shell, Bonehew, and Tal-Rasha's Crest. I've also got a ShaftStop, but the Shell seems to work better. Obviously with a PD-Shell, res is max.

I've not socketed the Crest or put anything in Bonehew yet, I want to see if anyone has suggestions on that. Is there anything better than the Strength runeword for Bonehew, given I've never seen any Ohms?

I'd say I TP about 2.5 times per average battle with Meph, simply because the Merc doesn't live long. I really don't like going without a Merc in that fight. So I pop a TP up right at the start, and jump in as soon as my Merc drops below about 25%. I can still run Meph very fast this way, but it would absolutely perfect if I could skip TPing at all.

I've not bothered to finish Act V hell yet, but I've noticed that the Merc is struggling there too. I've NEVER had him survive more than 2 hits from Thresh Socket, for example.

Also, as far as I know, Bonehew is as good as you get on damage. I also always see ShaftStop suggested as some of the best Merc armor, but it doesn't seem to really help much.

So, I'm looking for Merc advice in this order: tanking for Meph, tanking in Act V, and lastly anything else (such as damage).

Thanks!
I have had similar problems tanking meph, unfortunately, and there's really nothing to be done other than what you do. A reaper's toll might slow meph down with the decrep, but I just don't bother rezzing my merc when meph running.

Bonehew is good on damage, and some life leech in the form of two amn's would probably be good if you're having such difficulty keeping him alive. Remember to feed him all the time by pressing shift-1 or whatever potion you're interested in having him drink. I admittedly am poor at feeding my merc. usually I watch him die and think, "maybe I should have given him a rejuv there." :lol:

Also, rune words cannot be put in anything but normal or superior items. Unique items cannot have rune words put in them, neither can magic or rares. Just normal and superior. If it worked otherwise, you could make some super-overpowered items that would rule everything.

For Merc gear, my favorite setup is my ethereal bonehew, shaftstop, and Vamp Gaze. All of those items can be found by farming meph, and you probably have all of them. You can always socket a shaftstop and put in a resist all jewel if you find your merc to have trouble with resists. Regardless, keeping mercs alive is generally difficult, IMO.

Good luck!

edit: I am slow and forgot to welcome you to the boards! welcome. :) Enjoy your stay. Take a look at the FAQ's on the top of the boards...they have some really great tips and builds in them.

edit2: indeed we do, strijdje! :p
 

strijdje

Diabloii.Net Member
i would socket that shaftshop with a res all jewel and you're ready to go... i would advice to keep our merc @ your lvl, give him a decent armor (that shaftshop in your stash) tals mask is a good coice, however if u happen to have a vampire gaze helm, use that, with the pdr from the gaze and the shaft + the def aura from your merc, he will be almost impossible to kill... the vampire gaze has a really good amount of Life Leech so he will survive rather good... for weapon i would suggest a (eth if possible) reapers toll, with the Life leech, and chance for decrep... man then u have a merc that can solo mephisto if he wasnt so stupid... :bonk:

anywayz, welcome to the forum :wave: and i hope u will enjoy your stay here

robin

edit: great minds think alike :lol: gg wildjin...
 

moi

Diabloii.Net Member
strijdje said:
i would socket that shaftshop with a res all jewel and you're ready to go... i would advice to keep our merc @ your lvl, give him a decent armor (that shaftshop in your stash) tals mask is a good coice, however if u happen to have a vampire gaze helm, use that, with the pdr from the gaze and the shaft + the def aura from your merc, he will be almost impossible to kill... the vampire gaze has a really good amount of Life Leech so he will survive rather good... for weapon i would suggest a (eth if possible) reapers toll, with the Life leech, and chance for decrep... man then u have a merc that can solo mephisto if he wasnt so stupid... :bonk:

anywayz, welcome to the forum :wave: and i hope u will enjoy your stay here

robin

edit: great minds think alike :lol: gg wildjin...
dont have any numbers in front of me, but i'm thinking an a2 normal merc with duriels shell and tals helm is going to have maxed resists already?
 

supermatt

Diabloii.Net Member
my best merc is wearing a Leviathan Kraken Shell with 46Str and 23%PDR, and eth 8/7/20 Vampire Gaze, and swinging a Reapers Toll (Decrepify!!!!!!!!!)

:) matt
 

Ravenforce3

Diabloii.Net Member
If you want to mow down Meph in a hurry, you might consider giving him a Hone Sundan, upgraded if you have the runes. That 45% CB is nice to hav around. I'm not a big subscriber to the Damage Is King philosophy, but in this case, I have to agree.
 

DreamlessDude

Diabloii.Net Member
Main problem would be that you cant leech off mephy thus yes Reaper's Toll is the way to go especially if you have it ethereal. If not Hone Sundan works well.
 

Huorn

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi Squidget,

the others have answered your questions pretty good already, so I'll just say: Welcome to the forum!
 

Zarhrezz

Diabloii.Net Member
For Mephisto running I'd give him (upgraded) Guardian Angel, Kira's Guardian and Reaper's Toll or Hone Sundan. This will give him 90% resist all, which against Mephisto help a hell of a lot more than any % of PDR. Reaper's Toll slows Mephisto down, Hone Sundan does CB...since Mephisto can't be leeched normally, both are about even against him.
 

Borlag

Diabloii.Net Member
Welcome to the forums :)

I'd also suggest the Reaper's Toll, it's simply incredible how much it helps you with it's slowing effect, not to forget the dmg your merc does on it's own. On top of that reapers has pretty nice life steal in it already so you wont have to worry about the merc that much anymore.

As for Duriel's Shell versus Shaftstop, both have their advantages, personally I use Shaft on my main MF runner but then again he has ethereal Shaft and my Duriel's are all non-ethereal :)
 

Hadrian

Diabloii.Net Member
My def. merc's got eth upgraded shaftstop, P. Vampiregaze and eth Reapers toll, with my hammerdins concentrate aura he does about 5,5k dmg and can kill meph alone, he almost never dies. Only monsters he's got problems with is cursed multishot archers with might, and ofcourse, Iron Maiden...
 

Borlag

Diabloii.Net Member
Hadrian said:
My def. merc's got eth upgraded shaftstop...
Hadrian, did you get a big improvement for that armor? The ethereal items are currently bugged a bit, meaning when you upgrade them they do get the upgrade and all, but they ignore the etherealness from then on.
 

supermatt

Diabloii.Net Member
Borlag said:
Hadrian, did you get a big improvement for that armor? The ethereal items are currently bugged a bit, meaning when you upgrade them they do get the upgrade and all, but they ignore the etherealness from then on.
i think that only eth armors are bugged when upgraded, cos you don't get the 50% base def bonus in upgraded form. AFAIK eth weapons are ok when upgraded, no bugs - although i haven't tried myself

:) matt
 

Borlag

Diabloii.Net Member
supermatt said:
i think that only eth armors are bugged when upgraded, cos you don't get the 50% base def bonus in upgraded form. AFAIK eth weapons are ok when upgraded, no bugs - although i haven't tried myself

:) matt
ah yes, you're correct on that, and I knew that too, maybe I should've worded my post a bit better :)
 

Squidget

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it.

I totally spaced on parts of my post. I looked, the Durial's Shell actually has a perfect Topaz.

I've heard plenty about the Reaper and the Reaver, but I've never had one drop. The Bonehew is the best I've got.

I've now done over 400+ runs with Meph, the last 100 with a PT Skullders and an MF of 414. Someday I'll get the Homunculus... :(

I do have a Vamp Gaze, but it was slotted for my Sorc to keep her alive. But, a Harley dropped today, pushing me over 1K life. I'll move the VG over to the merc now...

Thanks again!
 

Mage11

Diabloii.Net Member
Greetings Squidget, and welcome to our forums. Please remember to read the FAQs and behave in front of our elite uniques.

I see that your questions have been answered, so good luck with those Meph runs.

Feel free to drop by at the local forum bar, the EMB, for a quiet drink or two - the first one's on me.

Enjoy your time here.
 

SincereX13

Diabloii.Net Member
If you are having problems w/ your merc tanking Meph and constantly dying a suggestion might be to slap on a pair of Dracul's Grasp (or and Exile Shield :D ). The life tap will then allow your merc to leech of Meph when he previously couldn't thus keeping him alive a greater percentage of the time. Of course you will have to sacrafice some MF but it may be worth it in the end.
 
Top