Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hi there! I'm new to Diablo 2

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Batmans Beard, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Batmans Beard

Batmans Beard IncGamers Member

Hi there everyone! I'm a new player to Diablo 2 and figured I'd try the game single player. I found this forum and had a quick look around then decided to register. It seems like an amazing resource for single players and also seems like a friendly community. I'll be installing the game tonight and giving it a go.

Any advice for starters from any of you more experienced players?

Thanks!

2. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Definitely. Welcome to the SPF! This place is still pretty active, and has a few active tournaments, general chat (check out the EMB for a drink and chat,) and both on- and off-topic threads.

Best advice for a newbie? Play what you want, what you enjoy, and aim to have fun. D2 is a great game, and this is a great community. Work out what you enjoy the most, and if you have any difficulties, there is bound to be someone here who can contribute to your style. Basically? Play how you want, and if you have any trouble, post a new tread giving specific details, and we can help you out.

What type of characters (melee, casters or tanks or hybrids?) do you enjoy the most, and where are your characters at?

By batmans's beard, I need to have a shave tonight...

3. Batmans Beard

Good advice Drystan. Thanks! I'm downloading the digital version of the game from Blizzard now so I haven't actually started playing yet. I generally enjoy ranged/magic type characters or anything that relies on strategic placement of skills.

I'll make a start on the game tonight sometime. I have a feeling I'll enjoy it.

4. queenEm

queenEm IncGamers Member

5. Drystan

Drystan IncGamers Member

Ah nice. To ranged characters, the Amazon is a good choice - Bow variant could be a Strafe or Multishot Arrow, or a hybrid build that includes Frozen Arrow. Or, Javalin and Spear skills could be a standard Furyzon (Lightning Fury based build.)

As to caster... Sorceress (any build,) or Necromancer focusing on Bone Spear, or Lightning Trapsin etc are pretty strong, but there are also sub-classes for ALL seven characters. There are a number of more builds, but I'm just listing a couple.

Definitely check out Em's link. It is a great intro to different character classes and builds, and could surely find something you enjoy. Since you are starting out as well, there are a couple of people who enjoy new builds, and might be up for some /untwinked/ [character-found/no heavy items] Single Player-styled Multiplayer games. There are a number of options and possibilities here. The main thing is to try a few options, and have fun! Let us know what you enjoy, have a chat in the EMB, and be open. Best of luck, and keep us updated!

6. Batmans Beard

Thanks queenEm! Very useful thread. Some of the links are broken but it gives me names to search for and read about.

A very warm welcome indeed. It's been a while since I've had my shins kicked and even longer since I've had my wallet stolen -.-

Edit: Thanks again Drystan. I might give a lightning fury amazon a go first and see how that goes for me. If I enjoy it I'll stick with it otherwise there are heaps of other options to check out.

7. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF! A friendly reminder after you install, be sure to log onto Battle.net at least once to download the newest patch. After that you can play Single Player all day offline. Have fun!

8. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

9. Batmans Beard

Thanks GooberGrape I'll be sure to do that!

Thanks Sunset. Still not certain if I'll be playing an amazon or a sorceress yet but probably one of the two. I've downloaded gomule and the runeword mod from the link you posted which should be really handy. Also read all the rules.

pharphis likes this.
  10. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

You can also make both and switch between them to mix things up

11. PSYCHO

PSYCHO IncGamers Member

I can offer a different spin as I believe the most important advice to remember is such:

This is an old game. Don't have expectations, don't have preconceived ideas of how it 'should' play like or how it 'should' be. A lot of people who "got into it late" simply end up not liking the game because it's not a pretty, shiny package like other RPGs/hack and slashers out there, and that's a huge mistake.

So yes, on a psychological level at least, remember that this game is over a decade old - released when having a Pentium IV was a big thing, so that's the dating of it!

12. Batmans Beard

I probably will pharphis thanks.

I tend to prefer older games Psycho. I'm a big fan of the Baldur's Gate series, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale etc. I think I'll like Diablo 2.

To anyone who think they can help: I'm actually having troubles getting the game to work properly on my laptop. It's a HP elitebook running windows 7 pro. I've downloaded Diablo 2 and LoD from Blizzard, installed it and patched it (with some troubles). The only way I can get the game to run is with Windows XP compatibility and running the game in windowed mode. It works this way but running the game windowed on a laptop screen makes it pretty tiny and I was hoping to be able to play fullscreen. Any ideas? Any help would be very much appreciated.

13. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

As far as I know you need to run the game both in XP compatibility( but I cannot remember whether you do so in service pack 2 or 3) and as administrator to get it to run properly. Glide wrapper also helps.

http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/index.html

Oh and by the way, welcome to the SPF!!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  14. Batmans Beard

Thanks TheNix! I got it to work without the wrapper. Apparently I had to select 'disable desktop composition' too.

15. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Welcome
    Visit the Off-Topic Threads if you get tired of the on-topic ones
    :D

16. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

Welcome and most importantly, have fun! If you like caster type characters, try out a necromancer. Imo he is the most stylish character in the game.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

17. Batmans Beard

Thanks bodry, that's already what I've decided to do :)

18. bondcho

bondcho IncGamers Member

Welcome, another advice for you: use players command(hit enter to go into chat menu and type /players X where X is number of players 2-8) that way you will get more xp and drops but monsters will become stronger so be careful.

19. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

Batman doesn't have a beard! Pfff

Welcome! My only advice is to play full-clears single pass characters while you still have the patience for that. Rerunning bosses and areas can come much later.

20. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

*kicks shins*

How are they holding up? :p

Stay the hell away from any modifications to the game that aren't accepted by the forum, it will ruin your SP experience.

Get involved in tournaments, they provide you with a very different gaming experience. Also, make a note of the knowledgeable members (Fabian and Maxicek for example). The MFO is great fun, stick around for it! Human nature... You can't get on with everybody in the world, but even if you find that you dislike somebody, try to be respectful, the forum is great that way.

Have fun!

Also, I saw D2 on a SHELF in a SHOP, an actual SHOP the other day. That is the first time I've even had that experience, damn it felt good!