Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hi ladies and gents - I'm new to the forum and fairly new to Diablo 2

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by GothamsBeard, Jan 15, 2018.

1. GothamsBeard

GothamsBeard Diabloii.Net Member

Hi ladies and gents! I'm new to the single player forum and fairly new to Diablo 2 with a lot to learn and lots of desire to do so. I've read the stickies though many of the links there are dead so couldn't find the introduction thread that was mentioned there.

I'm enjoying Diablo 2 so far and am still playing through normal with an Amazon. I may restart or respec though (if that's possible) as I have a feeling my skills placements have been a bit aimless.

I live in Australia, work in an electronic components shop, don't party much anymore and spend a fair amount of my spare time gaming.

Hopefully I make some friends here and the times had are good! I'm sure they will be. Any direction for a newbie in terms of builds would be very much appreciated. Many of the builds guides that are in the stickies are dead links though I'm sure there are plenty more around I'm just not sure where to look. Thanks guys! Hope to chat to you all sometime soon.

Xios, Gynli, fearedbliss and 8 others like this.
  2. ioupainmax

ioupainmax Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome @GothamsBeard!

Since you have an Amazon, why not make a Lightning Fury Javazon? She can kill pretty well and is fun to play, especially when she mows down huge crowds or cows.

Check out https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/spf-mat-pat-guardian-build-compilation-v4.734413/ to see how others built their characters. There are a lot of LF Javazons and hybrids, so you an have a read of those to see skill and stat point layouts.

Or you could try something like this:

STAT POINTS

STRENGTH: Enough for gear (107 for Matriarchal Javelin)
    DEXTERITY: Enough for max block (Depending on your gear, this might be around 150 @ Level 80-ish - assuming you have quite a bit from items. Otherwise could be closer to 200)
    VITALITY: The Rest
    ENERGY: 0

SKILL POINTS:

JAVELIN + SPEAR SKILLS:
    20 Lightning Fury
    20 Charged Strike
    20 Poison Javelin
    20 Plague Javelin
    1 Jab
    1 Power Strike
    1 Lightning Bolt

Tree Total: 83

BOW + CROSSBOW SKILLS:

Tree Total: 0

PASSIVE + MAGIC SKILLS:
    1 Valkyrie
    1 Dodge
    1 Avoid
    1 Evade
    1 Inner Sight
    1 Critical Strike
    1 Slow Missiles
    1 Penetrate
    1 Decoy
    1 Pierce

Tree Total: 10

Grand Total points required: 93

Level at which build complete assuming all quests rewarding skill points are done: 93 – 11 = 82

T72on1 and GothamsBeard like this.
  3. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask any questions you like, and definitely check out the mat/pat/gua compilation thread. Regarding builds, cookie cutters are good for getting to grips with the game, such as the Fishymancer and blizzard sorceress (just google that one, there are a vast amount of 'guides' our there for it).

After that, some fun builds that you might want to try are; phoenix strike assassin, wind druid (tornado), various forms of zealot and a whirlwind barbarian. Always go to fun builds.

T72on1 and GothamsBeard like this.
  4. ioupainmax

As @Kitteh said, a Blizzard Sorceress would be great as she can get gear for your others characters by running Hell Mephisto until your eyes bleed.

My suggestion was more if you wanted to salvage your Amazon. Of course, you could have a Bowazon or Hybrid, so my above post is just a guess at what you could do without knowing your situation. Bear in mind, in Hell, certain dangerous enemies are immune to both poison and lightning so a pure Javazon has to rely on a mercenary and Jab to deal with those if you go the Lightning/Poison route.

GothamsBeard likes this.
  5. GothamsBeard

Thanks both of you! I'll give that Amazon build a run and see how I go. I was reading further through the stickies and found Gomule which I've just tried and seems really useful.

Fun builds seem like a good plan as I don't want to bore myself too much running something too linear with not many endgame targets. I liked the idea of playing with bows but from what I've been reading a good bow is needed in order to make any decent progress with a bow build. Something for the future maybe.

6. Kitteh

Harmony is decent and not difficult to make. Alternatively, you could go for an elemental borazon, which doesn't have as strict a bow requirement.

7. GothamsBeard

Elemental bowazon on the fire or water route? Immolation/Freezing arrow and synergies or something like that?

8. ioupainmax

You can also make a Melody Rune Word bow in a good base Amazon Bow with +3 to Bow Skills, like this one made in Grand Matron Bow with +3 Bow Skills auto mod*:

Melody
    Grand Matron Bow
    ShaelKoNef
    Two Hand Damage: 21 - 108
    Durability: 36 of 55
    Required Level: 58
    Required Strength: 108
    Required Dexterity: 152
    Fingerprint: 0x64213381
    Item Level: 86
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    +3 to Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only)
    +3 to Bow and Crossbow Skills (Amazon Only)
    +20% Increased Attack Speed
    50% Enhanced Damage
    +300% Damage to Undead
    +3 to Slow Missiles (Amazon Only)
    +3 to Dodge (Amazon Only)
    +3 to Critical Strike (Amazon Only)
    Knockback
    +10 to Dexterity
    3 Sockets (3 used)
    Socketed: Shael Rune
    Socketed: Ko Rune
    Socketed: Nef Rune

*Amazon Bows can have +1, +2 or +3 to Bow and Crossbow Skills. Spears and Javelins can have +1, +2, or +3 to Javelin and Spear Skills.

Auto Mods
    Amazon auto modifiers show up on all Amazon Bows, Amazon Javelins, and Amazon Spears

GothamsBeard likes this.
  9. GothamsBeard

Thanks very much much for the info my friend. Where abouts can I find bows and javelins like those?

10. Drystan

Drystan Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome to the SPF, fellow Aussie. Our numbers are growing! Melbournian here; You?
    If you find a Socketable item (gray with sockets as opposed to gray item you cannot repair [ethereal]) you can put some Runes into it. Put runes in a specific order, and you get even more bonuses. These items are called Runewords, and will become more accessable to you as you progress into the later acts and difficulties.

GothamsBeard likes this.
  11. ioupainmax

That item was found in a level 85 area in Hell since it is an Elite item.

Check out the Arreat Summit for a wealth of information about Items, Rune Words, Uniques, Sets, Crafting Recipes and more:
    http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/

Can you tell us more about your current level, location, stat and skill point allocation, experience with the game etc?

GothamsBeard likes this.
  12. Kitteh

Sorry, I forgot to not use jargon :rolleyes: There is a common build which utilises freezing and immolation arrow as a combination. Freeze -> immolate.

GothamsBeard likes this.
  13. GothamsBeard

Thanks Drystan! I'm in Brisbane myself. Have found plenty of socketable random items and a few runes. Will have to read more about runewords I think.

Current level is 18, still near the start of Normal I think but making progress :) Using points towards the javelin build you posted above and just got a point into charged strike. Not much experience with the game as I haven't played Diablo since before Diablo 2 was released so I have a lot of catching up to do.

It's all good Kitteh I'll learn the jargon eventually haha. I'll experiment with bow builds sometime soon.

14. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome!

15. GothamsBeard

Thanks drmalawi!

16. NamelessPenguin

NamelessPenguin Diabloii.Net Member

Greeting fellow gamer :) I'd say, as for now, just have fun with this game, try out a few builds, see which ones you like. As time progresses, you will wan't to upgrade your gear, so your toons will really start to mow down stuff. The fastest way for this is farming Act 3 Hell Mephisto with a Blizzard Sorc, which requires very little gear to rule, stacked with as much magic find as possible.

17. GothamsBeard

Lots of people suggesting Blizzard Sorc, is she fairly easy to level and get to hell starting from scratch?

18. ioupainmax

In a word...Yes

19. GothamsBeard

I'll try building a Blizz Sorc tomorrow then thanks guys :)

20. fearedbliss

fearedbliss Diabloii.Net Member

Hey @GothamsBeard,

Welcome to the forums. If you wanna multiplay on LAN, we have a growing community of players that do just do that. You can find more information in the following thread:

https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/xyinn-d2-network-lan.955900/

The above link also has the link to our Discord channel where a bunch of us hang out and chat over text and mic. There are currently close to about 15 people total.

If you wanna play older versions of Diablo II and "time travel" and or need some game fixes and improvements, please check out Bliss Version Switcher and Singling.

https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/bliss-version-switcher.849147/

https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/singling.849553/

GothamsBeard likes this.