Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

hi from bigsquid

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by bigsquid, Feb 13, 2004.

1. bigsquid

bigsquid IncGamers Member

hi from bigsquid

hello everyone. big squid here, aka archoteuthis and dooscuba.

i have been playing dii for several years now, but recently converted to sp 3 months ago, once i learned i could transfer items between chars. i enjoy the serenity away from bnet chatter and crashes.

but there are still many things about single player which i do not know and/or understand. and i also miss trading.

so i thought i would stop being shy, introduce myself, and 'pull over and ask for directions'.

perhaps my questions have been asked and answered elsewhere. i apologize in advance. fact is i am a little unsure of how these posts work anyhow. how they are organized, ordered etc..i have picked around in many of the posts with FAQ and build guides....but still i am missing some key, basic knowhow.

first question:

1) are we limited to only 8 chars?

--on bnet i had 8 accounts with 8 chars each stuffed full of items. can you say "compulsive mf disorder?" on single player i have 8 chars packed full already. everytime i find something i like, something has to go. i have sold or dropped dozens of items which i see listed as sought after in the giveaway post. seems like a waste.

2) i understand that to trade, we need to create a mule character file or something like that. how do i do that? do i need to delete one of my current chars to make room for this mule? do we have a sp marketplace where we post trade fodder?

3) i found a hellcast colossus crossbow, and built a zon to use it. i like it because it is the first thing i have which can mow down monsterss in hell (besides hammerdin).
    any suggestion as to what i should put in the two open sockets?

4) everytime my mf hammerdin fills up with gold, i go and gamble a bunch of ammys from anya. i probably have gambled 150 ammys in sp. the other day i gambled an unique rising sun ammy. i have never gambled a unique before in all my years. is this a common occurance in sp, or is it as extremely rare as it feels?(i also gambled a useless set ammy: vidala's)

thanks for any input and advice. please feel free to email me directly if you choose: [email protected]

2. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

Hi and welcome to the forums :)

Umm wait, the big squid? Damn, you're the one to blame for the forum crashes, oh no, no squids allowed, unless you can convince us you're not THE squid. If you are, we blame Durf for that :lol:

In other words, nevermind me, I'm just insane :rolleyes:

1) no character limits, you can have over 100 if you want, I know I have. You can also use ATMA to store items either in mule characters or in ATMA stashes :)

2) with ATMA, there's an option in the program's menu. No need to delete anything "out of the way"

3) Hmm...shae's are nice if you want speed, knockback's also nice in bows...so many options, depends on the other gear you're using...

4) It's pretty rare but possible. I always gamble for rings, amulets and circlets mainly because they're the only things worth it for me, the rest item slots are always filled with uniques/sets on basically all characters. Though a circlet has to be real good too to be worth using...

3. Ravenforce3

Ravenforce3 IncGamers Member

1. No. I have about 10 or so playable characters I have on my screen (I have a problem...I don't seem to want to take any of them out of Act Two Norm.)

2. Check the stickied ATMA thread. It is a godsend for SPers around the world. I know I have about 200 some odd uniques alone stashed using it.

3. Shaels or Hels. It's slow as all get out and requires a lot of Str. to use it. Even with the two Shaels, it's going to take 40 more IAS to make it as fast as a Buriza.

4. It is a rare occurance. The chance to gamble for uniques I believe is a little better than having a Zod drop.

Hope this has been helpful.

4. Mage11

Mage11 IncGamers Member

Greetings, bigsquid, and welcome to our forums. Please remember to read the FAQs and behave in front of our elite uniques.

I think the others have answered your questions, so I'll just let you know that a number of events on the forum have been attributed to the giant squid (things like posts, posters & the forums disappearing), so don't be surprised if some people are a little cautious around you. However, I can see that you're a big squid, and so totally different from the giant cephalopod that terrorizes our forum.

So I'll invite you to drop by at the local forum bar, the EMB, for a quiet drink or two - the first one's on me. :drink:

Enjoy your time here.

5. Ravenforce3

Ravenforce3 IncGamers Member

This is a little OT, I know, but has the Squid been trying to get back in to eat the forums again? I keep getting "Database down" messages, especially around 3-4 EST.

6. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

:teeth:

:wave: hi bigsquid, welcome to the SPF, hope you will enjoy your stay here

robin

7. chaos

chaos Diablo: IncGamers Member

Welcome. ^^

I do believe that there's a rather fair chance of gambling a unique in .10. In .09 the odds were abyssmal, but its much more likely now, i believe. There's been quite a few instances of gambled uniques/sets already. If you're playing .09 though... :eek: :D

8. XaviarGangrel

XaviarGangrel IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF, hope you enjoy your stay :)

9. ULTIMATER

ULTIMATER IncGamers Member

Since your questions have been answered i just settle for a:

Welcome to the forums!! :howdy:

10. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

Welcome and enjoy your stay! :p

11. Huorn

Huorn IncGamers Member

Hiya Squiddy,

welcome to the forums! Enjoy your stay around here. As Borlag mentioned you can have unlimited chars and even better: ATMA stashes! Those stashes can be created in ATMA and can hold an unlimited amount of items. So there's no need to have loads of Mules (chars which only hold items), one or two stashes will do you fine.

Cheers
    Huorn

12. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forum!

Just for reference, here are the chances for gambling set & unique items:

Classic D2

Set: 10%
    Unique: 3%

Comment: In Classic you can actually plan to get certain items (eg Magefist and Nightsmoke for a sorcie) in a reasonable amout of time. The only problems are that you can´t reset the gambling window other than by leaving town, and rings and ammys very seldom show up late in the game (when you have the money for them...).

LoD 1.09

Set: 1 in 10 000
    Unique: 1 in 100 000

Comment: Very bad odds. Nonetheless, I have gambled three set/unique items within only a few weeks: Bloodfist, Tancred´s Hobnails and Sander´s Riprap. Talk about breaking the odds.

LoD 1.10

Set: 1 in 1000
    Unique: 1 in 2000

Comment: A lot better than in 1.09, at least.

13. factotum

factotum IncGamers Member

I'm currently gambling Repeating Crossbows with both my high-level characters--I want to get a Demon Machine so I can build a bow Enchantress! If the odds really are 1 in 2000 for uniques I should be able to get one in a few weeks...

[EDIT] Oh, and welcome to the forums, bigsquid!

14. chaos

chaos Diablo: IncGamers Member

Don't forget you can only gamble for the normal version, repeating crossbow. You've still gotta factor in the chance of getting the excep chu ku no. I think its 20-30%?

I think if you just want a DM, many folks could spare you one... :D

15. SnakeEye85

SnakeEye85 IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF :cool:

david

16. bigsquid

bigsquid IncGamers Member

THANK YOU and thank you

Thank you very much for answering my questions, especially about char limits and inventory. I will check out the ATMA sticky thread and learn what i need to do.

Also thank you for welcoming me into your forum. my bad for choosing a screenname with 'squid' in it. i was totally unaware of anything bad happening to dii with a 'squid' reference to it. someday i wish to own a sailboat as a primary residence. the name i have chosen for it is: archoteuthis. this is the scientific name for the giant squid, (which at least one of you welcomers knew already).

as it happens, i am actually one of your more straight-laced dii players. i have never used/bought/traded dupes or mods. i once tried maphack, but i didnt inhale....(i deleted it because it wasnt fun). i have been known to rush or be rushed, but that is the outer edge of my wildness. scary, isn't it.

thanks again,
    the calamari kid

ps. how do it get a graphic next to my name on my posts? and does anyone have a squidish graphic?

17. cryist

cryist IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF, and don't worry about what Borlag said about the Squids, they are welcome here, as long as they don't eat the message base, becuase i am one of them (old navy slang for a salior).

18. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF, giant big squid, enjoy your stay here! :howdy:

19. whomhead

whomhead IncGamers Member

howdy! :howdy:

to get an avatar, click on the "quick links" pull down near the top of the page, and then click on "edit avatar." i'll leave it to you to figure out the rest. :D

20. Withered_Guy

Withered_Guy IncGamers Member

welcome to the SPF! :)