Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

HF-rushing w/o internet

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Crazy Runner Guy, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

HF-rushing w/o internet

So I don't have internet at my apartment. Still, I want to do HF rushing /w 7 full characters. So....can I setup a LAN /w myself to connect to my own compter? If so, how?

2. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

It will involve cat5 (or is it cat6 now?) cables. But yes you should be able to do that. I am sure someone on the forum can give you details, if not PM me and I will contact a friend who is a whizz at that sort of stuff and get him to email you info.

3. Arreat_mercenary

Arreat_mercenary IncGamers Member

If you are using Windows XP or Mac 10.+ you can use fast user switching to run multiple instances of D2.

If it doesn't work for you, you can use the modified d2gfx.dll method. You download this modified d2gfx.dll which lets you run multiple instances of D2 without the need of setting up a LAN. IIRC, I downloaded this archive long ago here in d2.net (I don't use it anymore).

Also, IIRC, Lord_Vega and Aman both had a "dark project" of HF rushing to get very high runes, both of them can provide great help with this

4. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

bleeding hax...

5. Kefir-Tribe

Kefir-Tribe IncGamers Member

In short, yes. Of some reason that I don't know of, XP (which I guess is the OS you run) normally makes it impossible to create lan games if you don't have a Internet connection running. That should however be easy to fix by installing some... thing you can download from MS. I read a thread about just some day ago but can't recall or find it. Sorry. It shouldn't be too long before someone else that knows drops by here though.

Or you can just install Win 98. :smiley:

edit: Too slow as usual. I guessed you knew about the dll etc. already.

@nepeta, not all have such pure soul as you. :wink3:

6. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

7. Crazy Runner Guy

So then I would be able to setup my own "network," and would D2 then read that IP address? If not, how do I make it read that?

8. trihero

trihero IncGamers Member

What's next, a bot to run pindle and andy? A slippery slope this is :D

9. Crazy Runner Guy

Right.....And those bots exist, if you search for them.

crg

10. nebux

nebux IncGamers Member

that enable the network properties on one machine so you can HF rush without internet. you don't need to enable nothing. diablo is able to rad that.
    it just make a conection to the same PC.

11. Crazy Runner Guy

Great. That's exactly what I was looking for.

crg

12. chrischar

chrischar IncGamers Member

There is a very easy way to do that.
    Just run Hamachi while offline.
    Then d2 thinks that you have an active tcp/ip adress.
    So it's like you're online,but you're not.

13. cft

cft IncGamers Member

2 instances but not 3

Hi, Ive setup the loopback adapter, and it works great to convince the comp that im connected to a network.

And I had an old dll from ages past, before atma, when you needed 2 instances to mule. So I tried it, and I was able to setup 2 instances, and open cow portals like ppl do when they want to run the cows in multiplayer.

All worked great. Curious about HF rushing, I was wondering if my computer would crash with 8 instances running, so I tried to run 3.

To my suprise, i could not start a 3rd instance. Its like D2 recognized that I already had 2, and would not start a 3rd instance.

so how does one actually have 8 instances running at once? is there a different dll which allows you to do it? Or do I need to have 4 different users in XP, each with 2 d2 instances each?

anyways, at this point my curiousity is running out, I dunno if I really want to try HF rushing, but I guess I am annoyed that I cant figure out how the setup is done.

ps. if HF rushing says I should be able to cube runes for Heart of Oak in about 30 runs (not positive on that number), does that mean I should have about the runes needed if I just play 30 chars to Mat?

14. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

the modified d2gfx.dll will only work for the version that it was edited for. That is, the modified gfx.dll for 1.09 wont work for 1.11, and the 1.11 modified file won't work for 1.11b.

Once you have the correct d2gfx.dll, then you can open as many instances as you like.

As for HoTo, vex should only take you 11 or so characters (NM and Hell forge) so it'll be a fair bit less than your 30 :)

15. Crazy Runner Guy

So i'll need the file for 09 and 1.11b. So where can I get the one from v1.09?

crg

16. Kefir-Tribe

Kefir-Tribe IncGamers Member

Phrozen keep.

17. cft

cft IncGamers Member

Hmm, thats not what I'm seeing. Perhaps I have the wrong dll. I got it a long time ago, so it could be a 1.09 version. It does seem to work in my 1.10 directory, enough to let me run 2 instances.

OR, maybe the case is that somehow Tren's version switching scripts are letting me run 2 instances.

What I can't do is run a 3rd instance. It just never starts. Its not a memory problem or cd access as far as I can tell. Its almost like I didn't double-click fast enough, but it does access the hard drive. It never gets as far as changing the cursor to the CDrom icon, and checking to see if I have the CD in the drive, it seems to just fail to start immediately.

I guess I'll try phrozen keep and see what happens with their 1.10 file...

On a side note, when you say 1.11B, do you mean a 1.11 beta, or is there a new patch out in the last 6 months?

18. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

There's a version 1.11, and then shortly afterwards, 1.11b was released. iirc, 1.11b did nothing exciting... but it is a newer version. So you'll want your .dll file to be 1.11b compatible.

19. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

Ah... it is slightly different with Trens version switcher (ergo you may well have the correct .dll) you need 2 shortcuts when running multiple instances using the VBS scripts for different versions than your main install. the first points to the Diabloii.exe, and the other needs to point to Game.exe.

I've found that the version switcher isn't the most effective way to run multiple instances, it got a little funky for me for a while and separate installs is better IMO.

Edit: CRG if you don't have any luck, PM me and I can send you the files you need :)

20. Crazy Runner Guy

I got the 09 file from phrozen keep. My WW barb (WW is so powerful, and almost always hits) is clvl 36 in act 3 nm. I'll be checking things soon to make sure this work isn't all for naught.

crg