hey tecchies! need some ipod/xbox 360 advice

ohnoyellowdinosaur

Diabloii.Net Member
hey tecchies! need some ipod/xbox 360 advice

my goal was to watch .avi files that I've downloaded on my laptop on the big screen, and I was going to use my xbox for that.

since I don't have a wireless adapter for it, I don't have xbox live. after googling around a little bit, I used a usb method to update the 360 to the latest firmware.

I formatted my ipod for room and got the .avi file on the thing. I popped it in, but when I tried to open the "usb storage device", I got an unspecified error.

after some more googling around, I found that other people got the same error, and I found an explanation.

some questionable website said:
iPod (Apple iPod) which have more than 4GB in memory-size (doesn't work because they are larger than 4GB)
my iPod is an 8gig nano. I'm thinking my solution here is to find some sort of way to limit the access space of the iPod to 4gigs so that the 360 recognizes it as a usable device. but, I'm not sure how to do that, if that's even possible, or if it will even work.

so, anybody got any ideas?

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator
Re: hey tecchies! need some ipod/xbox 360 advice

If it's recognized properly on a regular PC, it might be possible to make partitions below 4 Gigs on it with Start Menu -> Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Double Click Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management.

But don't blame me if this screws up your ipod. It might be better to use a memory stick or an USB drive.

ohnoyellowdinosaur

Diabloii.Net Member

If it's recognized properly on a regular PC, it might be possible to make partitions below 4 Gigs on it with Start Menu -> Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Double Click Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management.

But don't blame me if this screws up your ipod. It might be better to use a memory stick or an USB drive.
I think I'm going to end up doing that. My first idea was to get a wireless adapter for my xbox and using the zune media player to scoot the files over.

I was trying to just get it done tonight to keep myself busy, though. Looks like this is the end of the road, unfortunately.

edit: in fact, it won't let me partition my ipod, even. once I get to the screen you specified, all the optinos such as "shrink volume, etc." are greyed out for use.

Last edited:

ohnoyellowdinosaur

Diabloii.Net Member

yeah, much more practical option. the problem was that I have an iPod laying around, and can't get my hands on a usb stick for a few days.