Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hey, let's privatize our military!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Underseer, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Underseer

Underseer IncGamers Member

Hey, let's privatize our military!

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/04/02/1080544691675.html

The article mostly talks about mercenaries, but in more general terms, there's been a lot of privatization going on with military functions. It started with support roles like the big tanker planes that handle mid-air refueling. I hadn't realized this privatization stuff has spread to ground-pounders. Sheesh.

2. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

Have to admit that I didn't like the idea of using mercenaries at first. But on second thought, they may be better qualified at providing security as our military is more focus on the art of waging war. Even then, the word "mercenary" makes me somewhat paranoid.

3. Kore

Kore IncGamers Member

The word mercenary wasn't always as naughty as it is today, at one point they were pretty much the only kind of permanent militiary. I don't see anything wrong with mercenary companies, and the quality control would be the research done by a prospective employer into past practices/ experience of the officers.

Also what surprised me in reading the article was how they're talking about it as if it's something new. It's not the first time America's used mercenaries. IIRC there was a thing a while ago where they used mercenaries for a peacekeeping operation instead of risking their own troops and it was more cost effective... can't remember details.

4. jimmyboy

jimmyboy IncGamers Member

I have only 3 concerns with mercenaries.

1. Loyalty. Who do they answer to? And who are they accountable to? I'd feel more comfortable if mecenaries acted under a U.S. department such as the CIA, NSA, State Dept. etc. I believe this is how it used to work. Perhaps currently, but the article failed to provide for such details.

2. Coordination. Iraq is a hot zone. Could this lead to a blue on blue engagement? Are mecenaries disciplined or are they a wild card?

3. Support. Will the U.S. military support mercenaries if and when all hell breaks loose? Mercenaries or no, they're still Americans. Hate to lose them.

5. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member