Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hey guys, got a question

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by TheRebel22, Aug 16, 2010.

1. TheRebel22

TheRebel22 IncGamers Member

Hey guys, got a question

Hey everybody whatsup? Necros have always been my favorite character to play in D2. I just started playing again yesterday and I was trying to build a sorc to mf as my first character. First, I had some really bad luck and got 1hit killed by a frost nova from a unique dying. Then today after rebuilding up to lvl 32 I lagged out in the throne and I ended up in the channel dead. SO, I said let me go back to what I'm actually good at and make a necro! lol.

I was browsing through a couple guides and I want to make a MF necro. I play Hardcore and I don't have any items at all because I just started (btw, if anyone wants to help me out I would GREATLY APPRECIATE IT!! Anything at all you don't need for a noob necro would be amazing. I'm running around with a ring of craftmanship on, lol) - but that's not why I posted this. I was thinking of making a poison/bonemancer. Going like:

20 poison explosion
    20 poison nova
    20 bone spear
    10 teeth
    10 bone armor

mmm.. idk typing it out it doesn't sound as good as it did when I thought of the idea. lol. Anyways, I'm trying to build a good mfer necro and I want to go poison or bone something and I need help, basically. I love respec because I'm going summoner until I get out of normal. Any advice on when to respec from summon to the other build? Should I focus on mastery or just the skeleton/mage summoning skills? I also have a question about golems.. does anyone use them anymore? Would having a golem be useful for my build (whatever it is that I decide on)?

As you can see, I need lots of help, and I would greatly appreciate it!

2. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Re: Hey guys, got a question

If you are just starting out, a Skeliemancer (Fishymancer) is your best bet.

If you don't want to do that, Poison is stronger than Bone imo. Don't try to hybrid them, though. Go all Poison or all Bone.

Guide thread.

3. Gillsing

Gillsing IncGamers Member

I've never played a poisonmancer, but I'd go with Corpse Explosion instead of a weak Bone Spear. And the synergies for Bone Armor are better for Bone Armor than the skill itself. (+15 per skill point instead of only +10.) It's probably a good idea to get at least a single point in Clay Golem, Golem Mastery and Summon Resist, as well as Amplify Damage and Lower Resist. That last one would require a lot of skill points put into pre-requirement curses, unless you use a wand/head on switch to gain access to that curse. Switching for a curse that you would be using all the time seems very cumbersome though, so I would say it isn't worth it. A Venomous wand with +3 Poison Nova and +1-3 Lower Resist could work as a primary wand until you find Death's Web I guess, since I believe that unique wand would be better for damage if you can still get Lower Resist.

In the end a summonmancer would probably be a lot better for hardcore, since lagging out will be a lot less dangerous with the skeleton army taking the heat the vast majority of the time. But managing a skeleton army without a reliable source of teleportation can be annoying, and dangerous as you need to navigate difficult areas and run ahead to get them to follow. Though I suppose a maxed Dim Vision could be used to lessen that danger until you get Enigma or Naj's Puzzler. (I've been trying to do without Dim Vision just to see if it's really needed, or if I can spend the points on Raise Skeleton Mage, and this seems to be my final conclusion.)

4. Pasky

Pasky IncGamers Member

Bone is just really terrible for PvM.

5. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

^I always use to think so, but with a strong merc (like eth insight CV + fort), some revives and a boatload of +skills you can do well. You use it more like a fishy, with your merc and summons tanking and CE doing most of the killing. Except instead of relying on skellies for the first corpse you have bone skills to help out. It's not as effective or safe as a fishy but a nice change if you're bored.

As said above Fishy is by far the best for a starting char. While poison is better than bone, you need some very hard-to-get stuff for it to shine. Bone also needs gear so it's not ideal for a starting char, but at least most of it is on the cheap side: Shako/circlet, Bone armor, White wand, spirit/homunc and anything else with +skills.

6. minuses

minuses IncGamers Member

Summon necros are the best necro to start out with and they are even capable of taking out ubers when you are fully geared and inventoryed. Just get use to the summon build and you will master the summon necro.

Here is what I do I use max skele and syngeries and I max out corpse explosion for large radius. Dont worry just look at a fishymancer guide and you will know what I mean. Best luck with your necro.

7. jlofman

jlofman IncGamers Member

@TheRebel, I would do a fishy if I were in hc. It's probably the safest build in the game, while still being very effective. Killing baal can be a bit slow, but I watched youtube videos while my army killed him ;)

Don't want to hijack the thread from TheRebel, but I have a question that is in the same area, and if I get an answear here, I don't have to open a new thread.

I've started this ladder with a fishy, worked great. Now with the reset (which I don't like btw), I'm thinking about a poisonmancer. A fishy would probably be best, but as I get bored quite easily and I'm afraid I'll stop playing if I have to do the same char twice during the same year. So is a poisonmancer my next best bet?

Is a poisonmancer similar to a fishy, in terms of equipment needed? Because my fishy didn't need any real gear, still running at level 90 with a wealth rw armor :) So it was great to start the ladder with.

I can ofc repsec, but would like to know straigt away if this is a terrible idea.