Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Hey Andrew...coupla questions

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Xiamet, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Hey Andrew...coupla questions

Andrew...since my Bonemancer's pretty much built around your suggestions, I figure I'll come to the source with my questions, though as ever, I welcome all constructive suggestions from everyone.

Obviously, my Bonemancer's focus is the PB tree, with about 11/4 in RS/SM respectively. I lost my mind one night in frustration and wasted points on getting Revives because my skelles were a bit pitiful. Big mistake there.

Anyways...I went with HF merc, thinking he'd help slow things down a bit, but I'm wondering, should I go with a might merc instead? I'd like my skelles to do a little bit more damage than they do, and I do plan on pumping RS with any further points I get. Trouble is, mf HF is about lvl 76, and I'd have to start over with a new might merc. is it really worth it for my skeles?

Also...if I get a Might Merc to increase skeles damage, should I then plunk any further points into Teeth, to increase bone skill damage instead? I would like a higher damage Bone Spirit/Spear...haven't quite broken the 4k mark. maybe charms?

thanks for any feedback folks....

-X

2. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

Personally I think that the bonamancer is so skill dependant that dishing out thousands of bone damage and raising skellies just doesn't seem very feasible. But for my pvm bonamancer I have a point into revive and a point into skeleton mastery. with +skills that's gold, as you can raise a few meat sheilds that are slightly smarter than bone walls (jk ;) ). At least they attract more attention, and gain inherited immunities (go go ghost revives!).

If you're going to do skellie/bone I'd max the skellies first and spend whatever remaining points you have into bone, as I've learned from experience that it's either max skellie or no skellie to be most effective. Otherwise you just need meat shields, and revives are a much cheaper (and more efficient) alternative to skellies IMO. Skellies won't deal enough damage in hell w/o being maxed to be more than meat shields, and pitiful ones at that.

Stick with the HF merc, might just isn't for the bonamancer, unless you decide that the skellies come first.

3. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

You are kidding right? I mean come on comparing the intelligence of a Bone Wall to that of a Revive?................The Bone Wall wins easily.

Although I do complain about the IQ of Revives (what do you mean? They have an IQ?) I do like the fact that only one point in Revive gives you a few sturdy Meatshields. Comes in handy sometimes.

4. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

Ahahaha.. I just saw this.. lol...

Okay... To tell you the truth, I was really tempted to get revives too... so i put 1 point into skeleton mages (prerequisite for revives) but i never did actually put in that final point for revives... lol. My skeleton's were dying in hell especially to ranged attackers.. and i was sorta getting worried they woudnt be good enough tanks... lol, but then... I discovered... DIM VISION...

I must say DIM VISION is really really a must have/use skill for the necro. With dim vision, you can play without tanks too.

Okay.. back on topic.. HAHA... Holy freeze merc? I didn't use a holy freeze merc cuz it shatters 1/3 of the monster's that die... I want corpses! lots of them!!! CE is used extensively as my primary killer (though it has only 1 point). My poison and bone skills are use to create the first (few) corpses and to finish of lone targets, like bosses, champions... etc.

I got a might merc for my necro, because i needed a way to deal with magic immunes. A strong merc with a strong weapon (A good cheap one, honor cryptic axe) will help a lot, and the might aura helps the skellies too. With amp damage, the skeletons will actually have enough damage to take down a boss... lol (tried without amp.. my 9 skeletons were really slowly taking the boss life down, due to high life regeneration in hell).

Considering you made it this far, why not stick with the merc? I'm sure whatever merc used, will still be viable. Some variation is good =D

4k spirit and spear? I think you should look for the skills calculator, and try and check which would be better... I don't really know... But each PnB charms will surely up your damage more than each point into teeth... But that's a lot of inventory space... lol. If you have the charms... I'll say go ahead. If you don't, then... just put them into teeth... Teeth is a great skill for killing fallen, demon imps... stuff like that =D

5. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Thanks for the info guys...

I basically pumped skeles enough to get 9 total on Boneshade equipe, and to buff them up on the Leoric switch. ( skeles seems more than enough, with Golem and merc. Between that and the curses my Bonemancer kicks some a$$. My main enemy is resists...I need to get those resist sc's going, and I think I want at least 3 PB charms to get the damage up on Spear/Spirit. Now that I'm done with skeles, i'm pumping Teeth, to up damage and hopefully do enough damage with it to kill the smaller buggers.

Decided to go with a Might Merc afterall...it seems to be making a difference in skele performance, and I do need something for the occasional magic immunes. so far lvl 50...ugh...i should probably just do nm baal runs to level him up, but I'm too lazy. Dem bones an' all... :)

-X

6. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Grrr....tried soloing hell baal today, and got reamed with the second wave of minions, as my low level merc just couldn't keep up, and my skeles were dropping like flies because of their low life. Thinking of restarting my Bonemancer just to get an even 10/10 split with my RS/SM for more durable skeles, and also to have a merc that levels with me, as all the time I spend getting a lvl 50 Might merc to 70+ I may as well start over.

I also wasted points in Revives, which I never use and who seem a bit fragile despite folk's saying their near immortal...I don't see it...they drop faster than my skeles at times.

Wondering if I should've put those points into the other golems for a better CG?

-X

7. Necrochild313

Necrochild313 IncGamers Member

I've never had a revive die on me from damage.

Now as for them getting lost off of the screen...that's a different story :D

and as far as the CG synergies things go...*cough* NO!!!!!*cough*

8. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

My Revives go down like a ton of bricks...and I revive things like venom lords cause they're supposed to be tough. Anyways...I should've placed those points in SM for tougher skeles instead.

So I'm redoing my Bonemancer...oy!

No CG Synergies? Okies...but now I'm wondering do I place end game points in Teeth or CE? I like Bone Spear and Spirit, but both lack the carpet bombing potential of Teeth, even if Teeth delivers such low damage.

Still..I liken it to a Sorc's FO, which doesn't get much higher damage than a maxed Teeth. Eve with a Cold mastery, not much in the game is Magic immune, so there's a bit of leveling there as well. And with Teeth, you can get about as much shards onscreen at any given time as FO's. Too bad Teeth doesn't Pierce.

CE or Teeth...whaddaya think?

-X

9. Mad Mantis

Teeth. Does wonders for the Bone Spirit.

10. Andrew

Andrew IncGamers Member

1 point in CE is enough for me =D

I don't get the huge radius that comes with a maxed one, but i helps save on mana costs too.. lol.

11. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Teeth it is....was kinda hoping you all would say that :)

btw MM....I like your other pic better...Irmey just is.....oogly to me.

-X

12. Mad Mantis

I already changed it.

13. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Lookin good MM...now if only I could a) decide a pic to put up and b) get off my lazy bottom and figure out how to actually put one up.

Started my Bonemancer over again last night...may even do it again today, as I was wondering if I shouldn't just go all Bone instead, and really on Bonewall/Prison for meatshield.

Does Bonewall neccesarily attract the monster's attention, i.e. the way a clay golem or skele would? My primary reason for going with Skeles other than added damage meatshields is because they divert the heat off of me very easily.

I know I know...lotta questions from me...but I must know!

-X

14. Mad Mantis

Don't really know a 'tar that would suit your name.

On to the matter of your Bonemancer. Going all bone is a very viable route. The Prisons and Walls make for a very good meatshield in higher difficulties. You can always spare the three points you need for a Clay.

If you want Skellies as meatshield you will need a boatload of +skill items. You must also not diversify too soon. This is were most people go wrong. They want to do everything right from the start. I learned that the hard way after having to scrap six characters. Just build your Bonemancer first. Max a few things, then concentrate on your Skellies.

15. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Started the other way 'round, as I figure spear/spirit won't come into play til NM/Hell. So I start off as a low grade skelemancer til I finish those skills off...figure i'll be running norm baal by then and use those levels to pump Spear/BW, which will get me me through to NM Baal runs. From there...max out Bonemancer skills and finishing touches in hell.

Lost alot of low level nec stuff toay while xferring items...mostly really good sc's...damn you Blizzard!!! Had to literally start again untwinked til lvl 12. Good news is I found an Ume's...which helps some.

Anyways...Xiamet's my Zon's name...so a 'tar of her would suit...but I kinda like my Nec, so maybe a 'tar of him...I could always get a new account name for the better 'tar.

-X

16. Mad Mantis

Since Skellimancer's have a tough time against Duriel and Norm Big D, I figured that it would be easier to start the other way around.

On the 'tar thing...still no idea what you should get. That Nec pic sounds like a good idea though. Make a groovy screen shot.

17. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Since I started this nec over again from Clvl 80...ugh, I'm getting him rushed...so Big D and Duriel aren't a concern. Though I have to say, the first time around, Duriel went down kinda fast to a combo of Skeles, CG and merc...of course, Decrepify had a little something to do with it as well.

I need to look up the info on how and what to do to get an avatar going...I may go with a nec shot...because they just look so damned coo...

-X

18. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

If your on west ladder..give me a shout and I can help you. *DeadFukker

I don't mind helping fellow Necro's from our forum.

HoS

19. Mad Mantis

To upload an avatar do the following:

- Press the button "user cp" at the top left of your screen just below the name of the thread
    - On the left hand side of the screen there are a number of buttons under "Control Panel"
    - Press on "Edit Avatar"
    - You are now on the avatar editing screen where you can upload an avatar from your PC or link to a hosted picture

20. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

Thanks for the info MM...will do so as soon as I can get my new Nec up to his full and splendiferous regalia...I want him lookin' goood for his pics. :)

HoS...thanks for the offer...I'm on east unfortunately, and despite having to restart, he's coming along well. Past clvl 80, I'm considering pumping maybe more skeles, since I had the revelation that both CE and Teeth benefit from P/B GC's, and maybe I could do with even more, tougher skeles instead. Love my noney minions I do....

I have to say, so far the new Necromancers are the most flexible and customizable chars I'm worked with yet. I'm lovin' it....lol

-X