Help.

Metalshredderr

Diabloii.Net Member
Help.

Ok, I got in a fight with a guy not too long ago in real life after a normal day of college partying.

He ended up with a broken elbow, I ended up with a broken jaw.

Now the doctors have put a huge metal plate inside my mouth, and when I go to college, people think I'm wierd because I can't talk. They say that my speech will get better, but do you guys know how long its going to take? I literally can't say stuff like "hi" without slurring and sounding like a dumbass.

Thanks

Metalshredderr

Diabloii.Net Member
Well allright then...

maybe my dentist, seeing as she was the one who put it in to straighten my jaw.

I'll give her a call later.

Cannon Fodder

Diabloii.Net Member
Not that I disagree, but *** is used negatively far far more often around here than retard- they probably just didn't see it as a big enough problem to need addressing via word filter.

I also suppose they figured anyone wishing to discuss the topic of *** maturely could use homosexual instead. Yes, I realize that same argument could be applied to retard. Got nothing for ya on that one.

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
Not that I disagree, but *** is used negatively far far more often around here than retard- they probably just didn't see it as a big enough problem to need addressing via word filter.

I also suppose they figured anyone wishing to discuss the topic of *** maturely could use homosexual instead. Yes, I realize that same argument could be applied to retard. Got nothing for ya on that one.
meh, I'll try not to lose any sleep at night :wink3:

RevenantsKnight

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, I got in a fight with a guy not too long ago in real life after a normal day of college partying.

He ended up with a broken elbow, I ended up with a broken jaw.

Now the doctors have put a huge metal plate inside my mouth, and when I go to college, people think I'm wierd because I can't talk. They say that my speech will get better, but do you guys know how long its going to take? I literally can't say stuff like "hi" without slurring and sounding like a dumbass.

Thanks
On topic: where exactly did they put the plate? Way back when I had braces, there was a something-or-other that they stuck to half the roof of my mouth, and my speech was really messed up right after they put it in. It got better over a week or two, though, if I remember correctly.

At any rate, your doctor will probably have the most accurate idea of how long it will take.

Off topic: a safe (though perhaps overly so) rule of thumb for language is that if you know someone who would actually be offended by a word, don't use it. It doesn't really matter if you think it's bad or not personally; these boards are theoretically open to all sorts of people and that rule just makes sure that you're covered.

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
On topic: where exactly did they put the plate? Way back when I had braces, there was a something-or-other that they stuck to half the roof of my mouth, and my speech was really messed up right after they put it in. It got better over a week or two, though, if I remember correctly.

At any rate, your doctor will probably have the most accurate idea of how long it will take.

Off topic: a safe (though perhaps overly so) rule of thumb for language is that if you know someone who would actually be offended by a word, don't use it. It doesn't really matter if you think it's bad or not personally; these boards are theoretically open to all sorts of people.
Is retard even considered "PC" anymore? If not I can't see any acceptable form for it on these forums. So why not just filter it? It will prevent ignorant new posters from stepping on mod's toes.

Cannon Fodder

Diabloii.Net Member
I've always been one for intent rather than PCness. If someone uses the word retard in the way it was meant to be used, with no intention of offending, I don't see why it should be taken as offensive. The same goes for *** (either happy or homosexual), handicapped, black, and probably a few others I could think of. If people are well-meaning when they use a word, why be offended? If they weren't well-meaning, changing the word isn't likely to have any effect. I guess I don't see the point.

Hmm, I should probably stop hijacking this thread now.

Yes retarded is still acceptable.
http://www.thearc.org/
There is an entire national organization dedicated to helping people with various forms of mental retardation. They're an outstanding organization that everybody should help at least once a year.

UserMathias

Diabloii.Net Member
Off topic: a safe (though perhaps overly so) rule of thumb for language is that if you know someone who would actually be offended by a word, don't use it. It doesn't really matter if you think it's bad or not personally; these boards are theoretically open to all sorts of people and that rule just makes sure that you're covered.
Rule of thumb?! You do realize that stands for female oppression?

*Gets antsy*