help

blkpuma

Diabloii.Net Member
help

Ive been playing diablo 2 for quite a while now but still i dont understand a few things such as: ladder and non-ladder, hardcore and softcore, open closed. if someone could tell explain these to me i would be very grateful. ;)

dang79

Diabloii.Net Member
blkpuma said:
Ive been playing diablo 2 for quite a while now but still i dont understand a few things such as: ladder and non-ladder, hardcore and softcore, open closed. if someone could tell explain these to me i would be very grateful. ;)
Ladder Vs NonLadder

The ladder is a "season" which has a start and an end. If you play on the ladder, your character has access to many ladder only items and runewords. The ladder resets ever so often (we are on season 2 right now) and all characters are moved to the NONladder and ladder is then empty again for people to start anew.

Hardcore Vs Softcore

Hardcore Diablo 2 is a separate zone in which characters only have one life, meaning once they die, they die permanently. "Their deeds of valour will be remembered"

Softcore is where most of us play, characters can die over and over.

Open Vs Closed

Closed Bnet is where most of us play. The characters are stored on the blizzard servers, meaning less cheating and hacking (Less... not zero).

Open Bnet is the system in which your characters are stored on your own hard drive (basically your SP characters) and then you play out of them. If you think Closed has a lot of dupes hacks and cheating.... open is way worse.

Hope that was of some help at least.

LorveN

D3 Off Topic Moderator
its on closed if it is a char that is on battle.net only. If you can reach the char with the single player menu, it is an open char. If you cant, its closed.
If you want to see if its ladder or non, simply look under the char on the selection screen (closed chars only, since there is no ladder for open chars)
If it says "ladder character", well... Its ladder!
You can choose wether to create a ladder or non-ladder char by clicking a box on the create character screen.
Ladder chars can not be converted to non-ladder, and non-ladder can not be converted to ladder.
this happens only when the ladder itself resets, which nobody knows will happen, and there is no way to prevent it.