Help with untwinked unmodded sc ww barb

Michael Gray

Diabloii.Net Member

I need to know what weapons types to look out for as well as any mods to watch out for. It goes without saying that I won't have access to even the exceptional uniques for a good while if ever. By the way I'm going to go duel weilding.

PS

I'm also interested in thoughts about crafted blood axes. They wouldn't be as great as a good unique or runeword, but I think they may give me an edge.

psalmanzar

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Help with untwinked unmodded sc ww barb

My advice is to look at the stickied threads here and at the barbarian forum to look at the various guides to WW barbs. A lot of time was spent on those, and most include suggestions on high-end and low-end gear and some playing tips.

I think the most important thing on your weapon would be: damage,increased attack speed, life/mana leech, crushing blow and open wounds roughly in that order. You won't get all of that on your weapon without impossible rune words and so some of it will come from other gear slots.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think that when whirlwinding, only the IAS on the weapon matters, and so do try to get some of that.

Low Lvl weapon suggestions...

Malice rune word (Ith, El, Eth), Strength (Amn, Tir), Savage Polearm cube recipe (repeat until you get a partizan), Insight rune word in a polearm

High End...

Wait until you find a magical (blue) elite weapon drop from your mastery class and then use the 3 chipped gem cube recipe until you get a Cruel prefix and then socket with either Shael/Amn/ or Eth runes depending on what you need most.

Michael Gray

Diabloii.Net Member

I think I may have stated what I wanted to know wrong. Basically I wasn't sure what type of weapon as in axes, swords, or what have you to use as I'm not quite familiar with the advantages and disadvatages of each type. But the way it sounds to me is that I just need to wait and see what drops.

I've read the guide and all I've really seen is use of grief, beast, and other high level weapons granted I could be missing some big parts knowing my luck.

psalmanzar

Diabloii.Net Member

LOL,

I haven't read the WW guides, because I've never tried to make a WW yet, but I can emphasize with the frustration of GRIEF this BEAST that.

You said you're dual wielding?

That means polearms are out....I don't think your choice between sword/mace/axe will matter much because most of the rune words will work in any of the three.

The berserker axe does more dmg than any other one-handed weapon I believe....and if you want to craft a blood weapon than it has to be an axe.

Maces do additional dmg to undead but the smaller ones have shorter range than one handed swords.

There are more types of swords than axe or mace, and so I think you've got a better chance of a nice unique or rare dropping and a barb can wield a two handed sword in one hand.

Helx

Diabloii.Net Member

IMO one of the most important things for a WW barb is leech--both mana to keep on whirling as well as life since you can't reliably drink health/rejuv potions while whirling. It doesn't have to be on your weapons, but being untwinked it's great to get leech wherever you can. Gloves, helms, rings, etc., are good places--basically get it where you can get it. I'd also recommend an Act 2 NM offensive merc for his Might aura which will increase your damage, thereby increasing your leeching ability.

I started a very twinked WW barb a few days ago and was surprised to be able to continually use WW beginning at level 31 when he could equip the ribcracker I recently found before even getting to NM.

Michael Gray

Diabloii.Net Member

I've had a chance to sit down and think out what I need to ask thankfully.

First of all thank you for all the advice you've given me so far. But I guess my understanding isn't with what weapons I should shoot for, but what makes a good ww weapon.

I know that range, damage, and speed are crucial for success. That being said I'm not sure what to look for first. Can OW and CB make up for damage in a high enough speed weapon?

I guess I'm trying to figure out what types of weapons as in spears and polearms vs axes or swords to look to. I'll probably go ahead and hold back twenty like you said, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by trying to go for a weapon that's too weak or slow to be good.

I know these are about as basic questions that any noob should know, but I just don't understand the practical gameplay over the theoretical. And I'm sorry if this has been discussed before and it probably has been since speed became important and will be until the game is no longer played. I just seek your wisdom to understand melee weapons for whirlwinding and in general better through my practicing with the ww barb.

*edit: psalmanzar The only reason that I thought polearms, lances, or any other type like that is because I'm worried about speed vs damage. I know if I duel wield I'll be able do double damage theoretically with two weapons hitting each monster twice in one revolution vs once with a polearm. If the polearm does enough damage or has enough perks such as cb or something else that works with ww then I'll go with it.

Last edited:

Llathias

Banned

For a Whirler, you should try to reach the final breakpoint, which is -60 in 2h weapons and -34 in 1h weapons and all swords. Yes, the slower a weapon, the more damage it deals. Yes, it's possible to make very short whirls and not suffer from the weapon's slowness (the first 2 hits are delivered at specific frames no matter the weapon). But when you factor things like CB and hit recovery, speed becomes king! Realistically, though, you'll probably have to compromise for the 2nd breakpoint.

The advantage of a 2h weapon is that you'll do approximately twice the damage when you use Concentrate and Berserk--which is pretty frequent. IMO, it also looks much cooler...

For dual wielding 1h weapons, well, that really depends on what drops. Swords generally require high dexterity, which means a smaller life pool. However, since you're able to dual wield 2h swords, you're more likely to find a good weapon there. Among exceptional uniques, there are decent swords and a few axes (namely, Butcher's), but when you look at EUs, axes seem to be better and easier to find. Still, it's really a matter of luck. If you've been lucky with the NM Hellforge, you might also consider making Crescent Moon in a Legend Sword--the static won't trigger, but it's still a decent weapon.

All those said, you might do like I did: picking up stuff and trying it on! My WW barb parked at Hell Pits for a very long time now still uses Astreon's and Earth Shaker! :badteeth:
but he'll eventually find that elusive Tomb Reaver!

Michael Gray

Diabloii.Net Member

It's swords for me then. I know I can use any other weapon with it luckily, though without the perks of masteries. In some cases it won't matter luckily. Thank you for your help. One last question though is there any reason to pump dex enough to use a phase blade?

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member

With swords, you should aim for at least -35 base speed -weapon IAS for whirlwind. This is fairly easy with much slower and also more damaging weapons. On top of that DEX is wasted if you plan dualwield (STR adds to melee damage, DEX is important for blocking). And if you will plan for future, one of the best (and affordable) weapons is Oath - runeword with indestructible mod which has the most potential in ethereal item (and white Phase Blade cannot be ethereal...)

Michael Gray

Diabloii.Net Member

The only problem with Oath is it's not avalable in Single player unmodded games I think.

Llathias

Banned

And if you will plan for future, one of the best (and affordable) weapons is Oath - runeword with indestructible mod which has the most potential in ethereal item
Thread title said:
:whistling:

edit: darn, pwned by the original poster :embarassed: