Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with Throne of Destruction level!!!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by jiraniel, Jun 3, 2005.

1. jiraniel

jiraniel Diabloii.Net Member

Help with Throne of Destruction level!!!

I was told to come over here as people might be able to help me more in this area. My level 69 assasin in in nightmare level and can't get past the entrance to the throne of destruction. I am met by a mob of minions at the bottom of the stairs and have to keep trying to throw down death sentries and then run back upstairs. Usually I am killed. I tried running but was met with another mob and the others followed and I was instantly slain...

Would be funny except this has been going on for a long time and I am tired of resaving my char. file. Here are her stats if that helps at all.

Here are her stats. I just got done typing them all and was logged out so am trying again.

She's a level 69 assasin and has the following:

Mind blast=12, death sentry=10, shadow=10 and phoenix strike=10. These are the highest powers I have. All the others are only 1-6.
    She's got:
    1) 134 strength
    2) 106 dex
    3) 76 Vit
    4) 320 mana
    5) 433 life
    6) phx strike attack 1663
    7) phz strike damafe 294-457
    8) fire=45, cold=76, lightning=73, poison=41

All her armor is magic, most is unique (yellow) or rare (gold) including one chromatic amulet with reisistances + 28. You'd think I could kill them easily. This is why I am not a fan of the 1.10 version. It's too hard in some places even for me (been playing for many years) and so I get mad.

2. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer Diabloii.Net Member

Here is my advice, scrape the char, make a new one, follow one of the existing guide if you have to.

Here is why you should do it. You have no focus in skill, and too low on vit. In 1.10 .09 style jack of all trade is no longer viable, you need to focus on one type of attack, and synergize it well. My char does more damage than you at normal baal.

1 pt in MB is usually enough, or not at all if you use SMaster.

3. jiraniel

Sorry but I don't understand the last sentence...

I can't play all the time so this char has been "working" for about a year just to get to this level! If I start another, it will take too long. Seems to me I might have to come up with another strategy of some sort. I had a good one on Mt. Arreat which worked but it was touch and go. Slaying the three took about 2 hours. I used to be able to hide behind things and wait until I regenerated. I guess I will be playing until I get more level or better items or something. Had an idea to collect some gas potions and such and throw them then run...don't know if it will help much.

4. crazy_bear

crazy_bear Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry to tell you this, but what NSX dreamer has said is basically true.

Unfortunately for players like yourself the biggest changes in 1.10 were the increase and difficulty and the addition of synergies. Because your char uses a wide variety of skills you have much weaker attacks than you would have by concentrating on individual skills and synergizing them. Combine this with the increased difficulty, and you have a recipe for disaster, or at least not getting past NM difficulty.

Also, I'm pretty sure traps stop functioning if you leave the area, so throwing down death sentries and leaving won't work.

I would say your char as is should be able to get to Baal anyway though, but it will take a lot of mana pots.

First of all, have you kept an act 2 merc (you would want to use defensive) at your level the whole time? This will be very important. And make sure he is well equipped.

Second of all, make sure your shadow is cast, and that you have the skills you want the shadow to use active.

Now, when you get to the bottom of the stairs, you will have to stand your ground against any initial pack of monsters. Use mind blast to keep them stunned, and keep your traps going. The shadow and the merc should take care of the rest. If you can find a weapon with prevent monster heal then use it!

Advance slowly to activate only a couple of monsters at a time. Retreat and kill so that you don't accidentally activate more.

Repeat this process to clear the whole level, you are going to need the space against Lister and Co. It's going to take a long while.

You should consider this character complete if you successfully get past Baal.
    Without synergies there is not even a point to attempting hell diff.

good luck, you'll need it.

5. steelsixtyIV

steelsixtyIV Diabloii.Net Member

Couple of points:

Use Cloak of Shadows to blind your enemies

Once you gain a foothold on the stairs make a TP to get back to town quick if you need to

I agree with everybody else about the build strategy. Your Vit is way too low to be effictive in Hell. Shoot for about 1000 for casters and 2000 - 3000 for meele.

6. Nightfish

Nightfish Diabloii.Net Member

Erm... How exactly will an assassin get 2k life? Omg hax? Usually I'd say, as a minimum amount, 500 is fine for casters and 700 is enough for melee, easily. And that's just if you're playing HC.

7. Nightfish

They all have some sort of crowd control and in case of my low life chars blocking. And of course I do try to get more but 500 is okay for stuff like a necromancer. With chars like my 2h zealot or 2h avenger I do try to peak 1k life. More is always nice but I really wouldn't set the minimum amount to more than 500 and 700 respectively. You can make do with that if you want to.

8. Hrus

Hrus Diabloii.Net Member

500 seems too low in HC for me. Even my No VIT tourney character had around 600 life when entering Hell difficulty.On the other hand NF plays with a FE mod which removes the greatest HC threat.

@jiraniel: Your character is not build well. You can finish the nightmare, but you will not be able to kill a quill rat in Hell difficulty.
    Start a new character which can kill effectively (I suggest meteorb build. It is possible for a new character to finish the nightmare in about 10 hours. Use a players command, so you will get more Experience and items. If you don't know tis command:
    press Enter, type "/players 8" in the message box, press Enter, the game should say to you - players were set to 8. You can set any number between 1-8. The monsters will get more life and will give you more Exp and the chance of no-drop will be reduced.

9. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Diabloii.Net Member

He was saying that 1 point in Mind Blast (MB) is normally enough. Items with plus skills bring it up to a nice level.

I agree with steelsixtyIV in using Cloak of Shadows and then Mind Blast if they wake up. Once you get a foothold, it will get easier. Also, be sure you are playing on Players 1.

If you really, really can't get past that point, you might try a couple other options:

1) Re-roll your map - maybe you can get better monster placement (farther from the door). To do this, start the game in normal, then restart it in NM. You will need to re-find your way from the worldstone keep waypoint though.

2) Get some help in a multi-player (TCP/IP) game. We have a sticky thread for MP games above.

I'm with crazy_bear, in that when you defeat NM Baal, you might just consider this character complete.

10. Randall

Randall Diabloii.Net Member

Like others said, You might be able to kill Baal in Nightmare, but I doubt you would be able to kill a Quill Rat or Zombie in Hell.

If you twink the gear from this character to a next character, you are most likely faster in building the second one.

Would you like to do a second assasin or would you like a character that is a sure bet to kill Baal in Hell.

For another assasin check out the guides, there are pure trappers, pure Martial Artists and hybrids guides available.

Try this page for some guides:
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showpost.php?p=1354331&postcount=25

EDIT: Specially these 3 should be nice reading for the assasin:
    - wildjinn's TS/Dtail Assassin (SC)
    - jrichard's Lightning Trapsin (SC)
    - Nightfish's Tiger Strike / Death Sentry assassin (SC)

As for the 100% sure bet to be able to kill Baal on Hell, check out the fishymancer guide:
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=349093

Randall

11. PyroStock

PyroStock Diabloii.Net Member

I agree with Hrus and Necrolemming. Someone who is having trouble and often dying in Nightmare should not be told to go to Hell with 700life or less. I agree with NF that with more experience the less life/resists a player needs. Mods obviously make the game easier.

I play with some people who don't play often (once every 2-3weeks) & if I told them to rebuild their characters (if they posted them here that's what they would be told) it would crush them and possibly discourage them from ever playing again. At the same time don't expect Hell to be easy if you're playing alone with your one-of-a-kind build.

As mentioned, Cloak of Shadows helps a lot. I would recommend more focus for this character in the future (possibly max Phoenix) depending on how you spent your other skill points. Spend some time getting to L75+ before getting to Hell for additional skill points, unique/set equipment and life. You don't have to clone your character after any of the guides Randall listed, but at least consider their advice. You don't have to retire/trash your current character, but you can also start a new 2nd character if you haven't yet. IMO you can still complete Hell with the right equipment (which does more than +skills for a melee character), especially since your SC. You just might need to spend time killing NM Meph, NM Baal and Hell Meph a bit for some good items. For your Mercenary I hope you at least have a Defiance, HolyFreeze or Might. To make your ShadowMaster better consider finding a +3Shadow Circlet and +3Shadow Amulet for your chest (along with +3Shadow claws on weapon-switch) to pre-buff her.

12. supermatt

supermatt Diabloii.Net Member

with enough patience and good strategy you could possible get past the minions by tyying to separate them and getting some form of Shadow,
    you could also go back to Mephisto in Act III and run him a couple of times with Magic Find gear to improve your questing gear,

but it might be advisable to look for a tried and tested build in the Strategy Compendium - look for builds in the bar on the left

:) matt

13. Artagas

Artagas Diabloii.Net Member

and seriously, if you think 1.10 is too hard than don't play a phoenix sin. In my experience that is one of the rather difficult chars after you hit late NM.
    If you suffer getting through NM try a char that gives you an easy time first so you don't get frustrated with the game in general.
    If you really want to play an elemental-damage 'sin, you must distribute those points without mistakes, because even fully synergised your damage will be _low_ for late game.

14. Rugruth

Rugruth Diabloii.Net Member

This IS why I like this forum. Imagine this guy posting his questions on Bnet forums...

Usually whith that level of mind blast, spamming it when you get on throne would be enough to convert some monsters, and let you cast come traps to kill them.

With that level of damage, dont use melee with this char, it seems that your equipment/life wont be enough to handle some of the monsters you will face at throne.

Use Death Sentry. Strategy for its use is spam some Mind blast till you convert 2-3 monsters to tank for you and help your merc/shadow, cast some lighting sentry and when the bodies hit the floor cast 1-2 Death sentry... and enjoy :). If your lighting sentry does not more damage than your death sentry, just use death sentry.

And I'm with the other guys who posted here. After killing baal its time to start new char using all you have learnt and following some nice guides you will find here.

15. steelsixtyIV

steelsixtyIV Diabloii.Net Member

Fishy, you are way too dangerous! I tried making a Titan a couple of months ago and she had around 700 life in late NM. I was OHKOd a couple of times in Act I Hell. Real nasty!

16. Nightfish

There is no difference between 500 and 1000 life when the FE bug is concerned. -3000 life is as dead as -2500. If you think the game I play is too different from the vanilla D2 and that I shouldn't pass out advice anymore then :p

Maybe I'll take that as an incentive to make a titan char for my sept. Though I never really thought making a titan was worth it. Hm, how about an all dex zon for a compromise? That's even moderately meaningful since I get AR and damage.

Of course I strive for as high life as I can reasonably get, but in this thread you've confused upper limit (or desirable amount to be 100% safe) with lower limit.

17. Randall

Randall Diabloii.Net Member

There is no difference concerning the FE mod and vanille other then FE is gone. (if you are using RTB's mod)

And I can confirm that FE will kill you even if you have 3000 life, I tried once with my now RIP HC barb.

But you have to be a good (or perhaps experienced HC) player to get a character through hell with that low amount of life and no deaths. I am clearly not as I still have no Guardians :(

Randall

18. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

check my last post in your closed thread here : http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=352744

as many said befor, you will have to get used to the idea that your first char isnt gonna make it trough the game. check the guides, they will give you some idea about how to build a char the right way. In my opinion, every minute you play this char more is wasted. better start a new one now :)

19. jiraniel

You guys rock

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to try to make a new one *sniff* and see if I can play her to hell. Even after all these years of playing, I still SUCK at games. It would be funny if I hadn't experienced a crash in 2001 that killed off ALL my chars. There was a Barbie, Paladin and Assasin who had all gotten past Hell level and I was trying to get set items. Having to start over from scratch was really awful and I won't ever stop whining about it...Nevertheless, I am still pretty much a novice I guess and haven't really learned all the strategies and intricacies of the game. Wish I knew someone who played too and knew this stuff! I will ask this next ? in another post but here's my next problem.

In following directions and setting the players to 8, I should get more experience and points faster. RIGHT?

HOW do you guys get so many set items and things? I get a lot of gold items but have yet, in all this time to get a complete set of ANYTHING. I've never seen a rune about SOL or DOL. I rarely see circlets and they are usually normal (white). So what I am saying is that what is the trick to getting the items to be dropped more often so you can build a decent char?

I will look at the guides and see if I can get a decent one built. *sigh and heaviness descends*.

20. Hrus

Hrus Diabloii.Net Member

The easiest way to get a lot of uniques and sets is to build a sorceress, equip her with magic-find gear and get her to nightmare Mephisto. Then kill only this monster for hours / days. Then move to Hell Mephisto. Kill him for months. Then move to a Pindleskin or Baal. Kill them for years. Something will drop for sure :)

Good starting MF equipment could be armor socketed with Perfect Topazes, Helm with Perfect Topazes, Rhyme shield (Shael+eth), noots, gloves, rings with MF, later you will find Nagelrings, Chance guards, War Travelers, Skullder's Ire.

Sorceress can teleport to Mephisto thus she is the fastest character to kill him.
    Another good character to start MF carrier with is a skellemancer. He is almost independent on gear, and can load insane amounts of magic find gear without sacrificing killing speed much. He excels in magic find area runs. (while sorc is better in boss runs)

With runes it is much more about luck. Up to Gul you can get a rune from Hell Hellforge, but don't expect to find higher runes. Try to search for "Countess" or "Kurast" and maybe you will find those threads 1000 Lower Kurast runs or 1000 Countess runs. (Most rewarding runs for runes).

I try to have a minimum magic find around 100 on each of my characters, it helps.