Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with Telikenesis

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Fire_Dragon, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Fire_Dragon

Fire_Dragon IncGamers Member

Help with Telikenesis

Ok, so for every point of dmg taken with E-shield on you lose 2 mana... nothing hard about that. If you have 8 points in Telekinesis and per lvl it boosts E-shield efficiency by 6.25% then you would have 150% efficiency = 1.5 mana lost per point of dmg sustained. With 16 points in E-shield you would have 100% efficiency and per 1 point of life dmg taken you would now only be losing 1 point of mana. So here is my question finally :clap: . If Telekinesis is lvl 24 then you should only lose .5 mana per point of dmg. At lvl 32 you should lose ZERO points of dmg from life OR mana. I'm guessing at lvl 32 the %absorb on E-shield must be VERY high (like 85%ish). Does this mean that 85% of the time (or whatever % it is) a sorc with lvl 32 E-shield takes no dmg? Am I calculating this right or have I missed the point? Somebody please help me out here... :thanks:

2. moi

moi IncGamers Member

i think TK's bonus to ES is of the standard synergy type, meaning that it is not affected by + to skills. So whatever lvl 20 TK does for you is all you're gonna get

3. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Exactly. 0,75 mana for each absorbed life is all you're gonna get. Let me link you to my old post :)

http://rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=140182

4. viamede

viamede IncGamers Member

Is ES worthwhile for Enchantress ranged or melee? Or better to put points into life. Hardcore by the way. Thanks for any input =)

5. lone500

lone500 IncGamers Member

Energy sheild would be a good investment for a melee sorc if you have plenty of extra skill points. Personaly im thinking of making a melee sorc that has almost nothing in life but she is going to take energy sheild to the highest lvl possible without it going down to the thing of like 2 skill points get u 1% more absorb and max telekenesis for the minimum drain on ur mana then put points into dex and str like usual then just even it out between mana and vit but more into mana cause if energy sheild goes down you are SOL. The nice thing is that since u use warmth anyway for synergy u wouldnt need a TON of mana but just even it out and u would have plenty of protection. i donno if this would work or not but im gonna try it. Sorcys dont get much per point of hp in vita so this might be a good thing.

6. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Mana Burner comes near you. Mana Burner hits you. Mana is gone. Mana Burner hits you again. You die.
    And all of that can happen within 5-10 frames!
    As I've claimed before, Energy Shield is only a support tool for a melee Sorceress...it increases her tanking ability enormously, but she does need to be able to survive with Energy Shield gone.
    A base vitality, no life Energy Shield build is possible (I've done it, search the Single Player Forum for the draft guide) but only viable for ranged builds. Also Energy Shield Enchantress with a ranged weapon isn't that good of an idea since you need 96 points to complete the basis, no points in Static Field, Frozen Armor, Cold Mastery nor Lightning Mastery at that point. Adding those points into the build puts you at level 89 to complete the build.

7. viamede

viamede IncGamers Member

Thanks Zarhrezz. I noticed you have supported ES for sorc while many do not recommend it. Given this is hardcore I thought it might save me in a pinch =).

What would you recommend for hardcore Enchant melee. I was thinking...

Basics
    Max Warmth, Enchant and FM, 1 point Frost Nova (slow down) 5-6 static to help with fire immunes, 5-6 tele (to jump around in battle w merc), rest in TK and 1 point ES. For party play.

If ranged was thinking of scrapping ES and adding orb as 2nd attack skill.

Any comments appreciated.

8. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

The melee Enchantress I'm building now has the following setup:
    Max Warmth, Enchant, Fire Mastery, Telekinesis. 1 pre's and Teleport, Static Field, Frozen Armor, Lightning Mastery, Cold Mastery. 87 points, level 76 to complete, which leaves 9 points to play around with for level 85. I'm not sure where I'll put those...if Teleport is too costly I'll sink them in Teleport, if defense is a problem Frozen Armor, otherwise the offensive side (Static or Cold Mastery). Frost Nova is a good idea, I might put that in also, but then again I use a Holy Freeze merc and generally have no problems with getting swarmed and mobbed...I'll have to check chill duration in hell to see if it'll be worth it for me. For HC it's good though.

Being a SC player myself, I don't worry about life too much early on, which of course costs me deaths that could be prevented...I generally put strength and dexterity at final values as soon as I can, for this build 127 strength, 136 dexterity (Hyperion and Phase Blade requirements). Right now I'm pumping vitality and I'll do so untill I have 500-600 life, after that everything will go into Energy.

You probably noticed that I don't plan any points into Energy Shield, this is because I cast it from a Memory staff (+3 ES/+3 Enchant 4 socket staff...very nice prebuff for this setup...I'm glad I saved it early in 1.10). This saves 4 skill points for a difference of only +1 Energy Shield...counting +skills items that's only 2% difference in absorb for 4 skill points. Note on ranged Enchantress: If you use a Memory staff for prebuffing, you might as well use the Energy Shield on it...you get a +6 even if there's no +Energy Shield on the staff you put it in. Of course the Energy Shield will take a heavy toll on mana, but since you're an Enchantress and a ranged attacker at that, you won't use mana to fight and you won't be taking too much fire if things go well. Having Energy Shield up as a lifesaver isn't a bad idea in that case...it should keep you alive when you take that first volley from an Extra Strong/Cursed archer pack and that sort of thing. Of course the risk of being swarmed by Extra Fast high speed melee monsters is still there and the Energy Shield will drain your mana in that case, leaving you unable to teleport. But then again you know what monsters are in the area you're in, so you can always decide not to cast it.

The rest of my equipment will eventually be Guardian Angel, Arachnid Mesh, Stone of Jordan, Raven Frost, Mara's Kaleidoscope, War Traveler, Dracul's Grasp, Sanctuary Hyperion, Kingslayer Phase Blade (Passion Phase Blade also available), rare tiara (+2 Fire skills, 15% resist all, +35 life, +9 dexterity, 2 sockets...will socket 2 Ums in there to max our hell resistances at 90% all). Right now I have 2 fire skillers and a cold skiller with +35 life, a bunch of life charms and 2 resist all charms. Of course for hardcore, you can put in more life skillers and accept a little less damage from Enchant. It shouldn't be a problem to get at least 900-1000 life on the build while retaining good damage, max block and a decent Energy Shield.

In this build, Energy Shield functions as a damage reduction tool for the melee hits that do get past block and for the extreme elemental damage hits that sometimes occur in hell. Under elemental fire, I expect it to go down quite fast, at which point 90% resist all takes over. 75% block prevents high drain on mana while facing melee, Energy Shield then takes the role of Stormshield/Shaftstop/etc, at an effectiveness higher than the normal possible 50%.
    A final note: remember to hotkey Toggle Run/Walk and use it when you come across monster packs...of course this is a general thing for blockers, but alot of people don't use it...now if you have a high life build, it's less of an issue, but builds like this go down quick if you misclick and start running in melee.

9. viamede

viamede IncGamers Member

Thanks for the reply. Have not yet decided on melee or range. Will choose as go along. Will be party play so may depend on needs of group. Also going to be untwinked so odds of getting "ideal" set up are nil. I thought range is safer hardcore but given no block and damage of ranged attackers now going melee while teleporting might be better. I note mongojerry's guide did his but w/o ES. I presume the thought is to have higher life and enough mana to keep teleporting out of trouble.

Haven't considered armours but will give some thought to it. Thought of boosting static range to help party, that would be of more use with melee in that case. Thinking of teleport in, frost nova, static,static, static then melee. Used frost nova partying with Barb (before getting orb) and it really helped him melee and kept everything together while I dropped meteors =).

I guess if go with ES I can hang back a bit when dealing with mana burn groups.

Thanks for all the tips.