Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with Spyware/Malware

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SHouston, Feb 9, 2004.

1. SHouston

SHouston IncGamers Member

Help with Spyware/Malware

I'm at my sisters house and her computer is running REALLY slow. I downloaded Ad-Aware and ran it. It found over 600 Items on her computer!!:eek: The problem is that when I try to delete them after I select them all the program freezes. I can still select/deselect items in the list, but the "Next" button cant be pressed. Does anyone have experiance with this program that can help me? Is there another program out there that can help me? I used Ad-Aware 'cause its supposed to be the best. Thx for any help

---- Shouston

2. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Are you sure you have the most recent version of Ad-aware? It should say Ad-aware 6, build 6.181 in the lower right hand corner.

Also, did you pick this up from Lavasoft's own site/one of it's mirrors or did you get it from somewhere else?

I know that shareware versions of some spyware removers (such as Spyhunter) only allow you to scan your system. It won't allow you to remove them unless you purchase the full version. But the shareware version of Ad-aware should allow you to do both.

3. SHouston

Ya, Its Ad-Aware 6. I downloaded the latest Reference-Files for it as well. I got it from the PCWorld mirror site from the Lavasoft webpage. I've used SpyHunter also and ya, It just detects the stuff, not delete it. I can run the program fine from my computer at my house. When I go to her house and run it on her computer it wont work. It scans just fine and you can select/deselect the files fine, but nothing happens when I hit the "Next" button after selecting everything I want to delete. Could there be an Anti Ad-Aware Spyware program thats causing this? Maybe it's because there is so much Spyware running that it's to much for Ad-Aware to handle. I dont know :scratch:

4. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

get spybot search and destroy. You can find it on download.com

5. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

did you try removing some at a time..? like...100 or something? and since its REALLY slow maybe it was still deleting them..not freezing...my friend's computer "freezes" everytime i try to do anything on it...even opening the start menu...

6. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

Hmmm, quite the dilema. Why don't you first try uninstalling and reinstalling. If that doesn't work, wipe it again and redownload it.

Another thing you can try is to go into the settings option and set it to "Run at Windows Start-up", then reboot and give it a shot. This will give Ad-aware a chance to comb through everything before any malware has a chance to start running.

7. masterazn

masterazn Banned

with 600......i'd advise reformatting.

8. Silvermyst

Silvermyst IncGamers Member

*cough* format *cough*

Seriously, back up all you need/can and start fresh. No matter how much you delete, rarely will the computer run normal again (in my experience).

9. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Silvermyst is correct.....it'll take so much longer to truly clean it all......

10. SHouston

Thx everyone for the help. Canadia142, I got the SpyBot Search&Destroy and that helped in getting most of them out. I also re-ran AD-Aware, stopping it when it reached every 100-150 items and that helped too. As for a reformat, I have no idea where to begin with that. I have never done one and wouldn't know how or what to back up. Its workin OK for now, at least her homepage has stopped changing and the pop-ups have stopped. I've also told her to quit downloading every cute, desktop changing thing off the internet. Sheesh!!

11. mysnistaken

mysnistaken Banned

backup anything that seems important...you don't have to backup system files or anything dealing with the operating system though

the easiest way to reformat is to boot from the operating system disk then go on to reinstall it...the installation should ask to format the drive

12. Crogon

Crogon IncGamers Member

OMG, sit down before you hurt yourselves, newblets. j/k ;)

pre-step 1) make whoever did this to their computer sit on a stool that is too short for them and watch you do all this. while not particularly necessary, whoever did this needs to learn a bit about internet security. if they refuse to sit with you while you do all this, be sure to smack them in the back of the head once you get done. ;) also downloading and installing a pop up blocker may be a huge help here. with that much adware the computer MAY be trying to open a few hundred pop up windows at the same time, and locking up the computer.

1) step 1 update your antivirus software, then go into safe mode and run the virus scanner. to get into safe mode, reboot the computer and push 'F8' repeatedly until a menu pops-up which will aloow you to go to safe mode. with that much ad-ware you are BOUND to have some viruses and EVIL trojans. if you have the original antivirus cd, you could also set your computer to boot from cd, and boot up the antivirus scanner. however, this will only use the older virus database on the cd. if you do this, you will still need to try to run the antivirus scanner from safe mode.

2) set ad-aware to run on startup. many adware packages will actively try to avoid being deleted. if it still freezes up (which it shouldn't) try running it in safe mode.

3) finally, download, update and use spybot - seek and destroy. between it and ad-aware they detect almost all known trojans, spyware, adware, and malware. by this point it should run ok in normal mode, but if not, try setting it to run at start-up or run it in safe mode.

4) set all of the advanced settings in spybot. it will block out evil websites and stuff. then go to the website listed in the spybot software for the activex program. download and use both of the free programs there. they will also keep people from doing stupid things on their computer. go into your browser settings and disable the ability to download software. in IE its under tools > internet settings then on the security tab click the custom button.

5) find my 'FAQ on intrusion detection and prevention'. read it. make who ever did this read it. give yourself a pat on the back for rescueing this computer. :D

13. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

crogon why are you so awesome?

14. Crogon

Crogon IncGamers Member

aw, ty! :) I just like helping out where I can. ^^