Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with sorceress

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Svampus, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Svampus

Svampus IncGamers Member

Help with sorceress

Hello fellow Diablo players!:wave:

I've been cruising around these forum for some time and I've decided to create a sorceress, I've looked up some builds and found that i want to use the Meteorber OR CL/FO(Which i prefer but i dont know crap about it) which sounds great and all but are they able to solo hell and MF the popular bosses(mephisto,andy etc. etc.) If so I would like some suggestions on equipment that is easily attainable and that I can use in low-mid levels, this is no ladder so I cant use insight and the stuff and i would totally worship you guys if you explained the CL/FO build.

Thanks in advance(i really love this smiley:jig:)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  2. Smackin

Smackin IncGamers Member

Re: Help with sorceress

CL/FO

20 orb
    1CM
    pre reqs

20 lightning
    20 CL
    20 lite mastery
    1 tele
    1 static
    pre reqs

1 warmth

dump rest into chargebolt

optional: 1 in TS

This build works basically like meteorb. Orb once to slow, lightning for monsters in straight line and big bosses, CL for scattered packs. This build is very mana intensive so u better stock up on mana pots. U can still get ladder items, just gonna cost u a bit.

Gear: use whatever u can find, aim for these in order: FCR, + skill, +mana, +life, +res, +mf

Grab an act2 def merc with defiance to tank bosses, give him leech+def+dmg+res

3. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

One small addition. Otherwise, a very nice mini-guide.

Actually, another small addition... a progression guide:

As smackin said, your mana's going to be a problem for a while, so I'd start out as a melee sorc, at least until Act2/level ~18. Save your mana and use Static Field as an occasional 'softener' for a big or tough crowd. You'll be a little slow around the end of Act1, but tough it out.

Getting from level 18 to 30 is going to be the worst part, since you'll be out of mana a lot. You might want to stick with a melee/casting hybrid for a while, but mostly try to get a decent polearm that you can stick on an Act2 merc, and you can hide behind him. As a very-poor-man's-but-workable-last-resort choice:

<--- If I don't have other polearm options, I usually use that cube recipe about ~5-10 times and pick the best usable option (Poleaxes & Partizans often have the best damage, even if they're a little slow).

Once you get to level 30, start building, and using, your Frozen Orb immediately (and also put 1 point in ColdMastery)... progress will start to speed up from there.

Be sure you've got a decent start on your lightning skills (~50+ skillpoints spent) before going into hell.

4. redground

redground IncGamers Member

i was building my light/orb sorc and i gave 20 do CB, 20 do lightning and going to drop the rest on chain light... is it better to stick with it or redo everything?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  5. redground

due the l60 minutes limit to edit i am making a new post.

I am thinking about making a primary orb sorc with some more points in cold mastery instead of just one and use lightining to kill the imunes, i am going for lvl 90.

my stats now are something about

20 CB
    20 Lightning
    20 LM
    1 CM
    ~6 FO

is it viable?

6. Smackin

Smackin IncGamers Member

Yeh its viable, just make sure u got the mana to use ur spells. Personally I see absolutely no point in more than 1 point in CM, unless u wanna speed up ur meph run by like 3 seconds. Also, listing the equips u plan to use will allow us to help u further tweak ur char. Placing too many points in CM also lowers ur lightning dmg, which will lower ur overall efficiency.

7. Svampus

Svampus IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the feedback people! Real happy about it :jig:

Which of the builds would be best suited for hell and the such and how much damage does the CL/FO vs meteorb and the big question, which is the most gear dependant. Oh and Smackin, You said i could get ladder items, how?

8. redground

for MF porpouses:

Shako
    Skuld / Nigma / Tals / CoH(to run hard places where i will need lots of resists)
    Occy / Ali Baba
    Spirit
    Tals / Maras
    Chancies
    Travs

I only have shako so far

Arach, Sojs, are really expansive, so i will probabli use Tals belt/GoldWrap and Mf/FCR rings.
    I also dont look foward to have a lot of Cold/Light Gcs or resist Scs because they are also expansive and this is not a build to be expansive, this is a build to find espansive stuff.

9. Smackin

Smackin IncGamers Member

@svampus-when ladder resets, ladder only items from ladder chars get transferred onto NL, which means u can trade for them, but be prepared to pay a hefty price.

As for dmg comparison, I'd say they're about the same, but CL/FO is more item dependant, hence why most people prefer to start out with meteorb.

@redground-Maybe I'm obssessed with tals for pvm, but I'd say thats not really an ideal setup for final gear. Low res, low dmg, slightly higher mf, just doesnt cut it when ur talkin about efficiency. Ur gonna be lackin FCR, res, and dmg. If u switch out enigma for CoH u'll need xtra str to wear spirit, otherwise if u put enough str to wear spirit with CoH the str from enigma will be wasted. Go with something like this:

Shako
    Vipermagi(aim for 35res)
    occy
    Spirit(aim for 35fcr)
    tals ammy(mara sucks, cold res is bs, fire res is overrated in pvm)
    magefist
    crafted caster belt
    travs

This is WAY better, as it offers u a ton of survivability, decent mf, decent dmg, and most importantly, it can give u enough FCR. I cant stress this enough, but u need FCR. FCR over everything, FCR is what makes a sorc. Also, this build isnt really expensive, and the gear is not ur final. U can use this build to mf big items and upgrade when ur rich.

10. Svampus

Svampus IncGamers Member

That build isnt really expensive!?! I've heard that in the beginning you can get some runes from the countess and make a couple of rune words like leaf/stealth or something like that. Is it possible to run for those runes in Normal, and wouldnt that take a LONG time?

11. Smackin

Smackin IncGamers Member

Yes those runes are available in normal, and no the build above is NOTHING close to expensive, especially on NL. Ppl constantly throw out vipermagis and magefists. Shako costs like 20 pgems, and occy like 10 pgems. tals ammy might cost like 30 pgems, and travs are like 10 pgems. Crafted caster belts are free. The only thing u might have the SLIGHTEST trouble getting would be the spirit, but a non perfect one isnt all that expensive, maybe 2-4 HRs.