Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with Pit level 2

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Harleyquin, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Harleyquin

Harleyquin IncGamers Member

Help with Pit level 2

My necromancer in hell does alright in open areas against most monsters, but I cannot get past pit level 2. The map layout is the staircase one where you have to go downwards towards the chest and I waste a lot of potions and portals running away from the extra strong multi shot extra fast Dark ranger boss stack supported by Fallen variants and their shamans. I'm not rich so I only have semi-good gear, how on earth do I get past them?

2. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

couple points here:
    (1) they do not always spawn as you wrote. initially i also thought they did (my first ever pit run this season, they spawned worst mods than that) but after a few more runs i realized it was just a freak occurence.\
    (2) a good sized dim vision does an amazing job of stopping ALL boss packs. by good, though, i'm talkin bout lvl 15+ dim vision, so it might not be possible for your case (you would have to be like lvl 80some to get that many skill points from what i can tell by your build).
    (3) if #2 doesnt' work for you, then a combination of clay golem recasts and decrepify will work. clay golem protects your merk (who does the bulk of your damage btw) from getting insta-killed, allowing him to engage the monsters.

3. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

The layout is actually very necromancer friendly (or very friendly for all classes, even).

There are two pathways leading towards the entrance which need to be controlled. The monsters are far enough from the entrance to not notice you when you enter, so you can block the pathways before they start running towards you (having initiative is always a good thing :))

I don't know what kind of necro you have; either use your minions to block the pathways, or cast bonewalls. Once you have killed a few of the monsters, CE them to kill/damage more; as a side effect, a fallen that has been CEed will not be revived.

If an archer gives you problems, use Gumby and/or Decrepify to distract them. If you have other curses such as Attract or Confuse, use them.

4. Harleyquin

My build is poison/summon, and unfortunately for me the golem always dies after five seconds. My skeletons don't last beyond 10 seconds and I can barely move past the entrance before the archers see me as a target post. I tried spamming dim vision but mine is only level 2 so that's not helpful either.

5. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

Wow, what level are your SM/RS? What is your gear, stats, and skills?

You might consider shopping for +2 Necro wands with bonus skills (a Spirit sword is nice too), and a Lore helm is an easy way to further boost your skills.

To me it sounds like your skeletons are a little too weak. :-/

6. Harleyquin

Level 24 raise skeleton

Level 10 skeleton mastery

Both of these skills are from equipment boosts. As I said in the first post they don't die often in the open but the boss pack in my first post slaughtered them quickly. (Forgot to mention, Summon resist 5 though it doesn't mean much)

7. xeyloderixed

xeyloderixed IncGamers Member

i think most of the recent guides advocate a lvl 1 mastery, and for me, quite simply this sounds wrong. you can only do this with godly gear, because even with decent gear on my psner (lvl 95, 27/19 skeletons) they still die quite often. i highly suggest maxing out mastery. more meat on them skeletons is always good. i think there was a debate on this early on, whether maxing psn or maxing summons is the way to go. the answer imho is dependent on wealth: go with summons if you're poor.

you dont need clay golem to stick for more than 5 seconds. you only need him to tank like 2 seconds while you go around doing your stuff (like cast decrep on them). and try getting a trangs gloves. from your post it seems you dont have 1 (lvl 2 dimvision when a point in it + gloves gives 3). really helpful overall (faster clay spamming, larger curse radius, longer decrep, etc)

if these still dont work, oh well there are other areas in the game :D

8. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

One (hopefully) helpful hint: even if you don't have a big dim radius, try using it on the archers just below the first level. Often they are the ones with fanat/convict/multishot/spectral hit that are actually doing alot of the damage to your army. The nice thing about the pit is that it is small enough that after you get the first corpse, you can pretty much start your CE chain and wipe out the whole area. And if you do get a couple of nasties right next to each other, don't be afraid to go back upstairs to regroup or start again and run it another time. Nobody likes a dead necro.

9. bergbusen

bergbusen IncGamers Member

i also have a posion summon necro, rs 24, sm 33 and my skeletons can tank almost everyting. even baal, and for clay golem he never dies even at diablo hell he never dies and i only have 1 poiny in him, what u have on summon resist, im on lvl 86, doing 6 k poison and skellies around 250 i think, Averyone says put more points in rs but i think the other way there are a lot stronger. all my damage comes from poison anyway. also i have a merc at same lvl.

ps. i use trang set, and on switch homu and wand +3 lower resist. not got a single piont in curses. i can play att all areas in game.

10. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

Rs: 24, SM: 33 = 10 skellies, 229-232 damage, 747 life
    Rs: 31, SM: 26 = 12 skellies, 304-307 damage, 838 life *

*asuming using Marrow, and just swapping the skill points.

I think RS is always better than SM. :)

Harley, do you have a Merc, if so, what kind? A Holy Freeze might be better than Might until your skellies can tank better. (Not sure, but poison kills dont make monsters shatter while frozen, right?)

11. Harleyquin

In response to one of the above posts, the best equipment I've got is socketed blackbog's sharp but I still prefer maxing poison. As for the trick with the dim vision, it didn't work since my skeletons could not fight past the staircase. I guess I'll just have to start a new game if I see this again but thanks anyway for the suggestions

12. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

How about trying Attract instead? Its duration is easier to get to acceptable levels than DV. You could also try LT to keep your Skellies alive while you poison the rest.

13. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Confusion works great against ranged attackers and doesn't need additional point investment for a decent radius. Do some NM Baal runs to gather up some PGems and buy yourself an Arm of King Leoric to Prebuff your skeletons with.