Help with nightmare ancients

Coldfire

Diabloii.Net Member
Help with nightmare ancients

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the Paladin forum so sorry if it's wrong...

I've got a single player lvl 68 Avenging Paladin w/ribcracker/godly chaos armor etc. etc. he's got appx 3200 defense, 820 life, does 550-1350 dmg, has 80 fire/light/cold resist each...but got stomped by the damn ancients! I had yet to encounter a single thing he couldn't readily handle until now and I don't know what to do...help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance
~Coldfire

Diabloii.Net Member
First of all , make sure to set /players to 1. Now, if you're getting hurt a lot by them , re-roll their mods a few times, until you get something easy. Also , have full rejuv potions. Fill your horadric cube with them and if you need them , quickly drop the cube on ground. This will cause all potions to be dropped too. Anyway , i've never had problems with NM ancients unless i played some wacky build. Also , giving us some basic information about character you're using would be helpful.

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member
I haven't played a Ribcracker Avenger but I would have thought the NM Ancients would be manageable at that level with what sounds like strong gear. I imagine with a decent level of Conviction and your varied elemental damage that immunities are not the problem- if so, maybe a wand or dagger with Lower Resist charges could help. Maybe a Life Tap charge wand is also something to consider if you are hitting them but still getting slapped down. And hopefully you already know about the "scatter potions all over the place before touching the altar" method of dealing with a protracted Ancients battle where stopping to open inventory or running out of potions can be an issue. Charging to an empty area may earn you a little bit of time to help. What kind of merc do you have and is the problem just that you can't deal with all three at the same time?

Coldfire

Diabloii.Net Member
Good advice on the scattered potions, now that you mention it I remember hearing it before but forgot :rolleyes:

I'm still using the act 1 rogue w/ Kuko Shakaku and decent armor, but she still died fairly quickly leaving me on my own, and yeah, dealing w/ all 3 at once is killing me (literally :tongue: )

I'm actually using Salvation instead of Conviction, I read a build guide called the defensive avenger or something like that which, up to the ancients, was working quite well, damage may be dealt a little slower than by a traditional avenger but it's pretty tough for most things to hurt me

Nerigazh

Diabloii.Net Member
You may want to have an offensive aura on backup. Salvation isn't going to help you much against the ancients, as to my knowledge they do all physical damage and your resists won't mean much.

purplelocust

Diabloii.Net Member
You may want to have an offensive aura on backup. Salvation isn't going to help you much against the ancients, as to my knowledge they do all physical damage and your resists won't mean much.
The Ancients can do some elemental damage depending upon their mods (Spectral Hit, Cold Enhanced, etc) but Salvation won't be helping much there, as the bulk of their damage is physical. Conviction is the typical choice for a Vengence pally, as it not only increases the elemental damage but also makes it much easier to hit.

Harrid

Diabloii.Net Member
The ol' Angel, huh? Cool stuff...

This will not be the best advice, probably, but I will admit that my experience with melee characters is somewhat limited. What can I say? I like magic :laugh: . Regardless...

Salvation covers your resists, which would not normally be a special issue with the Ancients, EXCEPT that you know the one time you try a different aura will be the time that they all spawn Extra Fast/FE or something (and do not forget that their weapons spawn random mods too, so you could get a Conviction/LE whirlwinder with big +elemental damage and ITD :laugh: ). Still, for the rest of this post, let us assume you can trick Diablo 2 long enough to avoid that.

Ribcracker has good Crushing Blow, yes? And Zeal is a prerequisite to Vengeance, is it not? If you face them on /players1, try to isolate one and launch a few quick Zeals (even if you have no +skills, it will be attacking faster than Vengeance so long as you can maintain a decent chance to hit) to insta-chop a fair chunk of life away.

(Smartly) Use what secondary skills you may have. Some ideas...Turn on Vigor and run around to try separating them (or just to buy time to think if, like me, you do not like to pause the game to do that). Get an exceptional scepter with +2-3 Conviction (should be shoppable, unless it is one of those nigh-unspawnables like Holy Shield) if you want to ramp up your offense (unless your Ribcracker is upgraded, the -resists COULD [though not necessarily will] give you more damage, and the -defense will help if you are having trouble with hitting in the first place). Use Defiance if they do not spawn with elemental damage (though I think it may only work additively with Ribcracker's own enhanced defense).

If hitting is a problem, consider socketing your staff with an Eth rune. It only works at half efficiency against bosses, but -12.5% on their defense can significantly raise your chance to hit if your AR is not all that high (if this is your problem, by the way, definately go after the thrower first to take away his Shout). Yes, a Shael might help you hit a better breakpoint or something else might add something else, but even an instant death strike of doom will not mean anything if you cannot hit them in the first place.

You could lower the players setting to one if you have it higher, but then you lose style points. Still, if you can stand the stigma... :wink3:

With the Ancients, I always find that the most important thing is trying to single out one at a time. They have a nice pile of life, so if you keep changing targets, you will have 3 nigh-dead geezers pounding on you instead of 1 healthy one. I am sure you can see which situation is going to cause you more pain :laugh: .

I would strongly suggest going after the thrower first because, without Conviction, his Shout will cause you headaches unless you have high AR (and maybe even then). I would do the leaper next, because he always seems to be the easiest to me. With the whirler...first of all, WALK, do not run, so that you can keep your defense (note that, while running can keep you free of his whirls, you have to go into melee range eventually, and the last thing you want is to be counting on your defense to fend off attacks from all three, hence why I think it is important to eliminate the other two first). He will whirl through you, and likely will hit you at least a few times before dying, so make sure you can tank some and have potions at the ready. Oh, and make sure you do not keep chasing after him after he whirls through you (when you notice him starting a whirl, you should walk [WALK!] in the opposite direction to minimize the time you are in his attack, if you feel your reaction speed is up to it). If you cannot tank him, you can try doing whatever you use in IM areas (the key is that you are staying out of his melee range, and hence, are safe), but with your life and defense, that should not be a big issue.

So, in short, persevere, be a little creative, and do not be afraid to try out some other skills that may not be the core of your build. If you can get one of them down, you can win the fight. (Oh, and do not be embarrassed about struggling with them, if you are. My Blizz/ball sorc had more problems with NM Ancients than any other part of the game, and I do not even think they spawned with any immunities >_> ).

Quickdeath

Diabloii.Net Member
And keep your Merc alive with Rejuv potions -whatever it takes -but keep her alive.

I just now easily beat the NM Ancients with an underpowered Guided Arrow-Zon. Why? Because I had a Valkyrie, an Act2 Merc and a Decoy when I needed it.

Paladins, Sorcs and sometimes Barbs have the most problem with the Ancients because they have no Summons to tie them up. With no Summons and a fragile A1 Rogue Merc you are in jeopardy - and then using the Salvation aura reduces your killing speed well below its potential.

So, (1) Keep your Merc alive and allow her to tie up at least one Ancient (2) Use Conviction with Vengeance, or another Offensive Aura with either Vengeance or Zeal and (3) Assure you are on Players 1 setting.

Coldfire

Diabloii.Net Member
The ol' Angel, huh? Cool stuff...
Yeah, that's what it was called!

Thanks to you and everyone else for the advice, I think I'm gonna give it a try tonight or tomorrow and I'll let you know how it went :wink3: