Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with new TS/DTail sin

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Dunbar, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Dunbar

Dunbar IncGamers Member

Help with new TS/DTail sin

Ok, I got out of D2 for a while, but a friend of mine started playing again so I got back into it. I never played an assassin to high levels before, but now I have a lvl 65 sin on ladder.

Currently, she has 20 TS and 20 DTail, as well as 1 point just about everything except traps. Her stats are 125 str/dex (135 or so with items) 50 vit and base nrg. Lots of points left to spend.

The question is where? I'm currently using a shield for resists and blocking; is weapon block a better way to go?

Is PS a good idea? TS and Dtail seem to work well enough...

Should I get Venom? Is the poison damage added to the AoE kick damage? For that matter, are other abilities like elemental charms or crushing blow added to the AoE kick damage? I know that many things get added into the kick itself, but do they extend to the AoE of the fire damage from DTail?

Right now I'm thinking of going for 20 PS and a synergy (which one is best?) and maybe 20 venom if the damage is added to the AoE from DTail. Maybe spare a few more points for SM. I don't have access to a lot of +skills or any uber equipment at all; and I'm not doing endless item runs so I'm unlikely to get any.

2. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

Venom doesn't work with DTail's AoE, but IIRC elemental charms do...can test this out in a 1-2 hours, if you need confirmation.

I'd convert to C/C later on...the DEX cost required to get to max blocking just isn't worth it IMO, esp. with a build like this(as you have to balance your points between STR for increasing kick damage, and VIT for HP).

TS/DTail will work fine in most of NM(except in the Chaos Sanctuary and parts of the Worldstone Keep, where Fire Immunes will really cause you problems), but like you noted, IMO you'll need an elemental skill to deal with PI/FIs in Hell. I'd go with the 20 PS and 20 CoT combination.

3. kiljoy001

kiljoy001 IncGamers Member

Wow you answered my question too lol. I got to hell and all of a sudden I couldn't kill jack.

4. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

Nali, I think Fire Damage charms will go into the AoE, but other damage charms only hit the original target. That's just a guess, but other skills like the Zon's freezing arrow skill allow cold damage charms to be a part of the blast radius, but other elements are not.

Dunbar, I'd stick with the shield. Use a shield with high blocking. I recommend Mosers with 2 perfect diamonds. It has a good block rate and will give you +63 resist all when you socket the diamonds. If you can craft a safety amulet with some good mods, that will help you save on Dex since you can roll 10% increased blocking on a Safety amulet (who uses thuls anyway??).

a level 65 Assassin like you have with 135 dex using a mosers would have 57% blocking, but add a 10% safety amulet and it becomes 66%. It would normally take you 154 dex to have that blocking rate for your level. That's just like having +19 dex on the amulet.

5. Dunbar

Dunbar IncGamers Member

Thanks for the replies! I currently do have a Moser's..someone was giving away free stuph. It's the best item I have...my claw is sad...like 15-20 dmg or something but has 30% IAS...with BoS and sander's gloves I attack pretty fast. It was funny, someone in a game (who clearly had a program to see my inventory) wondered how I killed anything with that claw. He was surprised when I told him my DTail does 6K-9K dmg, lol.

I think I am going to stick with claw/shield just for the resists. My vit level does suck though...I'm going to need 208 str for the best dmg elite boots, plus lots of dex for blocking. But without the resists, it wouldn't matter how much health I had, so considering my equipment I don't have much choice. I may have to break down and just do a bunch of MFing though...my gear just doesn't cut it in act 5 NM...my defence is way too low.

I will go for 20 PS, but why 20 CoT specifically? I think getting exactly 2 charges on PS might be rather hit or miss...obviously fists of fire is out since I have fire dmg...is the cold dmg from 20 PS and 20 (I forget the ice claw skill name) not enough? The fact that it freezes opponents is an added bonus.

6. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

Well, PS's 3rd charge is the least damaging of all(it is very useful for incapacitating a group, though this depends on PS level alone. Points in BoI will only increase the Orb's damage), so for that reason, I'd improve PS's 2nd charge instead.

7. jantia

jantia Banned

PS max first then CoT rite? not putting one point into PS, then one point into CoT and def. not CoT only...?

8. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

Jantia, even though it's not the best pattern for maximum lightning damage, I prefer to max PS first just to get all of my elements up to a top level.

There's a D2 skill calculator out there that will give you a tool to see what the optimum pattern is if you're interested, but we're not allowed to link to it here.