Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with new cheap paladin

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Karvig, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Karvig

Karvig IncGamers Member

Help with new cheap paladin

Hey everybody. Been on the forum quite some time but I have never had the need to post, but now I do so here I am :grin:

I just started playing again, after my longest break ever. Got my mf sorc running with decent mf gear and the items have begun to stream in. I am rather bored with her now though and since paladin is the char I´ve played the least during my time in the D2 world I thought I should make one. I´ve read the builds but since this i more or less my first pally ever I am quite confused.. And thus, I have a question for you.

Facts:
    - The char is supposed to be either something like 1) a runefinder or 2) baalkiller. Not decided yet. Never been interested in runes before but I might just try it..
    - I just started so my gear will be rather cheap.

Question:
    - Taking the facts above into consideration, what do you think would be a suitable build for me? Some cheap gear tips would be nice as well.

Thank you for any answers

2. HCKull

HCKull IncGamers Member

3. rynke

rynke IncGamers Member

What is cheap :)?

4. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

when i define cheap, i believe gear that can be accumulated with a total worth of no more than an UM rune. :)

5. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Example of a cheap Fanatic Zealot gear. (Ladder)

1)Weapon 1: Heaven's Light (don't bother with high +skills, 2 OS is best but even 1 OS is fine, Mighty Scepters need 60% IAS for 4 fpa zeal. Heaven's come with 20%, 1 more shael to 1 OS brings you to 40% IAS, another 20 IAS can come from ammy or gloves. 2 OS lets u put 2 shaels obviously for max speed.)

Pgems worth for low +skill ones. Some people value 2 OS alot higher, settle for a 1 OS one if u feel the price for a 2 OS is like extortion but that is rare since most people don't even bother with Heaven's Light.

2) Shield: Spirit. You can whack NM countess for those runes. If you got lucky, you might even find a high resist shield to make one ! In general most elite pala shield have decent block rates, though you might need more dex than say a guy with HoZ.

The rune set with Hel has gotten expensive, so hunt your own. U can get the Tal and Ort rune from the "useless" Save barbarian quest already.

Alternatively, any exceptional/elit pally Shield with high base resists and stick 4 pdiamond into it. You are holding 100+ resistance in your hand.

3) Armor: Grisworld armor / Black Hades / Spirit forge (customization galore !! SOCKETS plus extra useful mods).
    Duriel's shell (CBF, def/life per lvl, resists !! Budget but excellent armor).
    Guardian Angel (extra 20% blocking rate can help with low block spirits plus gravy mods the max resistance thingy is great but if you can hit the resist cap).
    Shaftstop (DR life etc), blah blah blah whatever floats your boat.

Most mid unique armors are quite good in their own right for the cost.

PGEMs worth.

4)Helm: Tals Helm / Vampire Gaze / Rockstopper / Guil face

ALL PGEMS.

I bought tals helm for 1 pgem before. It boast dual leech resist and lifer mods plus it looks BUTT UGLY and i dig ugly scary looking chars.
    Vamp Gaze cost more but boast DR instead of resist and life of the Tal's Helm.
    Rockstopper is basically an ULTRA cheap CoA with less DR and no +skill but with alot less STR req and potentially higher resist.
    Guil face boast 30% FHR and a heck lot of CB which makes killing much faster. Comboed with Heaven's Light that is 68% CB which is more than enough for anything.

5) Belt: String of Ears / Nos coil / Goldwrap / IK belt/ Orphan's Set belt/ Disciple belt etc etc

Again Pgems worth.

SOE is the 1.09 de facto standard with DR and life leech.
    Nos offers IAS, slows enemies and life leech.
    Goldwrap offers IAS and of course gold find.
    Ik belt = HUGE DUAL RESIST TO THE 2 BIGGEST HURTY ELEMENTS IN D2.
    Orphan's belt = Willhelm's Pride offers dual leech. Basically your Tal mask in a belt form.
    Disc belt = Cerendum is all about resist.

Many more out there but i only focus on cheap and effective ones.

6) Gloves: this is probably the real expensive part or not so expensive one.

Dracul's Grasp: Avaliable at lem to pul, look for low str and def ones, they go alot cheaper. It offers life tap, life leech, life after kill, its all about making your life easier. Open Wounds mods is another bonus.

Soul Drainers: A tal's mask in glove form with CTC Weaken. Nice to soften up the mobs. Low rune / Pgems worth. I personally gave them for free.

Laying of Hands: The king of damage gloves since it deals 350% damage to demons and that include bosses at that. It offers 20% IAS as well as 50% Resist to fire that can help negate Spirit shield lack of fire resist. Pgems worth.

Bloodfist: Do not diss this LOWB glove, it is one of the best. Great especially if IAS isn't a concern (though it has some) or lifetap. The mods are salivating.
    Pgems worth.

Any other gloves that have 20% IAS, other mods are gravy. Again most are Pgems worth.

Blood crafted gloves might also have something to offer. CB, life leech +life and a huge possibilities of other awesome mods, great !

7) Amulet: Highlord is out due to budget, but you can still use Cat's Eye ! IAS and dex plus faster run walk ! This fast r/w is great in conjunction with Goblin Toe which do not have fast r/w but yet boast huge CB ! Pgems worth.

Other amulets to look for, a lucky gamble or even most of the unique ammies have something to offer. A cresent moon for example has dual leech while Sacaren's Chance has nice resist and stats up in the spades.

Again most are pgems worth. A lucky gamble might net a useful rare as well !

8) Ring 1: Ravenfrost. Pgems worth. No alternative since you will need CBF, the dex will also help you block as well and AR is nice. If you have CBF from other sources this pretty ring is still pretty decent thanks to its other mods, otherwise you can use this slot for another magic / rare ring.

Ring 2: Manald heal if you need ML. Or whatever you can lay your hands on. Rares are the best for this or even a little luck with blood crafting.

As you can see the total setup does not even cost more than 60 to 70 pgems worth of stuff....

A Fanatic zealot can be decent for countess runs if you can Vigor + charge fast. :jig: Most of the PI in there are undead and can be thrashed by 1 pt Sanctuary, so yeah good. :thumbsup: