Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with my Meterorb

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Lanello, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Lanello

Lanello IncGamers Member

Help with my Meterorb

Hi all,
    I've only been playing sp for a few months, and I'm still working on collecting items and I am kind of poor. So I've created a Meteorb Sorc to do magic finding.

I've run into a wall with regards to Hell Act I, and I'd like some help.

I'm lvl 77, and I'm on track as far as skill points to sashi's guide. My kill rate is pretty decent, but I'm having problems with switch back and forth due to fire or cold immunes. But I think I'm being owned due to a larger problem with my resists and defense.

Here's my gear:
    Tal Rasha's Crest
    Tal's Ammy
    Occy
    Vampiremage with ptopaz
    smoke belt.
    frost burns
    +10 fcr rare ring
    frost raven
    silkweave
    Tiamat's rebuke

My resists are 19,19,40,19 or there abouts. I have 70%FCR, which I'd like to keep.

If I put pdiamonds in the helm and armor, that should largely fix my resistances. I can up my armor when I get the right rune...

Do you think that will do it, or do I need to completely rebuild her?

Thank,
    Lanello

2. forbidenorc

forbidenorc IncGamers Member

Re: Help with my Meterorb

What do you mean your having trouble switching back and forth from fire and cold immunes? F1-Meteor F2- Frozen Orb, that's what I use and I don't have a problem switching. Also you shouldn't be getting hit that much, teleport plus a decent merc should be able to keep you alive fine. What merc do you have and what does he use? My meteorb has every best in slot item she can have and my resists are -4 31 31 31 and I stay alive fine throughout all of hell. Your gear could obviously be better but you should be able to handle hell no problem.

3. potter

potter IncGamers Member

Upping your armour is the last thing you need to do. You're a teleporting sorc, you're not looking to increase your defense.
    A pdiamond(or a Ral/Ort) in your hat will do you good on your way to hell meph(where you'll probably switch to a ptopaz anyway). If you've saved any larzuk socketing rewards, remember to save one for a white monarch, assuming you use the runewordmod that is accepted here. If not, you'll want either eyeless/lidless or a 'splendor' shield.
    If you have any other helms atm, do list them. The horadric crest doesn't do much in a 2 part tal setup, so a temporary switch to something with fcr, skills and/or more resists could benefit you more while questing.

Stats on your belt and your merc gear would be helpful.

4. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Try to get a mosers and stick couple of pgms in it. That should fix your resistances.

Also, if you are using RWM, get a spirit monarch ASAP.
    I almost forgot about splendor / Lidless, too.
    Otherwise I'd suggest getting a tal belt in place of the smoke and a peasant crown / shako (lol if ya find one :p) / lore.

I see you are using meteor. I'd suggest using fireball instead of it. It's much better /easier to aim and it also packs a better punch.
    (Although meteor is somewhat cool.)

Can you share your merc's gear?
    If, again, you are using or are thinking about using RWM, insight is brilliant, even in untwinked.

5. Jimothy

Jimothy IncGamers Member

Pdiamonds in hat/armor gives you AR, put them in shields.

Are you killing fast with fire and cold?

Is your merc dying alot?

6. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I don't know what resists roll you got on that Tiamat's, but I'd say a real quick upgrade would be to make Rhyme in a Heater... that will get your blocking up while not dropping your resists by that much. The MF is nice too.

7. Lanello

Lanello IncGamers Member

Thanks for replies -
    forbidenorc - this is my first sorc, and I'm clumbsy switching back and forth between my orb and fireball attacks. Orb is keyed to r and fireball to d. My problem might be that I'm a noob and need to improve my play.

potter - I've got one more unused quest, and I've been wanting to save it to make spirit, but unless I fix my current problem I may not get far enough along to get a monarch to make it with.

nurman - I'm using RWM so spirit is my goal. fireball is what I'm maxing out now. I am probably a little under the skill points that I should be in fireball because I put a couple of extra points into cold mastery. Please see build stats below. Merc dump from gomule is listed as well.

jimonthy - thanks for the save buddy on the pdiamonds gives AR! I'm killing fast and merc is dying alot.

RobbyD - I have Rhyme in my stash. I switched over last night to the Tiamat's because it was Resist all +35, and it has good damage to help on the offense. I was at work when I made my original posts, and my resists are better than I remembered.

Here's the dump on the sorc and merc. Thanks much for the comments,
    Lanello

Name: Nikki
    Class: Sorceress
    Experience: 524840255
    Level: 77

Naked/Gear
    Strength: 92/97
    Dexterity: 164/183
    Vitality: 157/177
    Energy: 42/62
    HP: 450/598
    Mana: 201/445
    Stamina: 297/297
    Defense: 41/831
    AR: 770/1067

Fire: 125/85/25
    Cold: 125/85/25
    Lightning: 158/118/58
    Poison: 125/85/25

MF: 74 Block: 41
    GF: 0
    FR/W: 30
    FHR: 0
    IAS: 0
    FCR: 80

Fire Bolt: 1/8
    Warmth: 1/8
    Inferno: 1/8
    Blaze: 1/8
    Fire Ball: 12/19
    Fire Wall: 1/8
    Enchant: 0/0
    Meteor: 20/27
    Fire Mastery: 8/15
    Hydra: 0/0

Charged Bolt: 0/0
    Static Field: 1/7
    Telekinesis: 1/7
    Nova: 0/0
    Lightning: 0/0
    Chain Lightning: 0/0
    Teleport: 1/7
    Thunder Storm: 0/0
    Energy Shield: 0/0
    Lightning Mastery: 0/0

Ice Bolt: 1/7
    Frozen Armor: 0/0
    Frost Nova: 1/7
    Ice Blast: 1/7
    Shiver Armor: 0/0
    Glacial Spike: 1/7
    Blizzard: 1/7
    Chilling Armor: 0/0
    Frozen Orb: 20/26
    Cold Mastery: 12/18
    Snake's Grand Charm of Life +10 to Life/+37 to Mana
    Serpent's Grand Charm of Anthrax Adds 50 /r 6 Secs /+44 to Mana
    Snake's Large Charm of Fire Adds 2 - 3 Fire Damage/+19 to Mana
    Lizard's Large Charm of Strength +5 to Strength/+12 to Mana
    Small Charm of Life +8 to Life

Gear
    Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest
    Tal Rasha's Adjudication
    Skin of the Vipermagi
    Manald Heal
    Raven Frost
    Nightsmoke
    Silkweave
    Magefist
    The Oculus
    Tiamat's Rebuke

Mercenary:
    Name: Pratham
    Race: Desert Mercenary
    Type: Def-Nightmare
    Level: 77
    Naked/Gear
    Strength: 172/184
    Dexterity: 138/160
    HP: 1447/1447
    Defense: 1075/1571
    AR: 1817/1973
    Fire: 209/169/109
    Cold: 209/169/109
    Lightning: 209/169/109
    Poison: 209/169/109
    Natalya's Totem Grim Helm
    Smoke Gothic Plate
    Pierre Tombale Couant Partizan

8. potter

potter IncGamers Member

Ah, sorry about the pdiamond miss, that was silly of me. Runes still stand though.
    Also, the reason your merc dies is because he has no life leech. Switch hats with him, he'll need the horadric crest much more and you won't notice the difference on yourself.

I see you've gone a dexterity route which is fine with certain shields, but if you ever get a spirit shield, respec into no dex, full vita. Spirit needs 300+ for max block.
    For now you should probably go with Rhyme as it provides much better blocking for you at a slight cost in resists. The damage modifiers on Tiamat's only apply to melee btw, so no use for you.

9. forbidenorc

forbidenorc IncGamers Member

You could always just tele your way to act 3 and run Mephy for better gear. Just skip all the unessential quests, with a little persistence and static field you should be able to down Andy and Duriel no problem.

10. Frowzor

Frowzor IncGamers Member

Okay, you've already got a lot of good advice so I'll only add a few things. First, definitely go back to rhyme, tiamat's isn't giving you any offense bonuses.

To keep your merc from dying a lot, you've got a few issues. First, the number one need of mercs is lifesteal, and your Tal's hat is a perfect cheap helm for them. Once they've got lifesteal, try and get a high damage weapon for him (ethereal insight or obedience is nice) and very little will be able to kill him.

With your skill distribution, you should put every point you get into fireball to boost your fire damage, no question in my mind. Hopefully, some of this should help, so good luck :)

11. Lanello

Lanello IncGamers Member

Thanks all for the advice, and I will follow it.

Back to Rhyme, Tals to Merc, Lifeleach weapon to merc, evaluate how I can euip him with infinity, tele rush to Meph (which is the whole purpose of this build anyway), respec when I get spirit, focus on fireball skills till maxed.

Thanks much. Last night I had more success with 3 countess walks without dying. So my game play needs work, merc continued to die often, and I find myself having to constantly switch back and forth from fireball and FO due to the ever changing immunes.

What's really helpful, is that my build is tweakable based on all of your advice (thanks so much), and that's going to enable me focus on increasing my playing skills.

Regards,
    Lanello

12. Lanello

Lanello IncGamers Member

Oh one more thing. This is my first non-pally build, and all of my pally builds were zealots where all I needed was to get in their face and melee! This is far more demanding...:whistling:

13. potter

potter IncGamers Member

What weapon did you switch to on your merc?

14. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

About the key switching: I suggest putting Fireball on left click and Orb/Teleport/Meteor on right click. This way you don't run into problems with Meteor's FO's timer.

15. Lanello

Lanello IncGamers Member

Potter: I just found a vogue 4os while doing countess. I immediately teleported to town, and got insight and put it on the merc. It seems to completely solve mana problems.

Grisu: what a great idea. I can default fireball/Orb and that should work great. Thanks for the suggestion.

I switched out the tiamat and started using the rhyme again. 60%block. I tried giving my merc the tal crest, and ended up screwing up my resists. So I started digging into my stash to see if I could come up with some combination that would work for both the merc and myself. Here's what I came up with:

myself:
    Kept the Tal Crest
    Swaped manarald for a rare ring with +11 resist all, and +11% resist fire
    swapped silkweaves for tearhaunch boots that gave +10 resist all
    added Lapis Grand Charm +20 resist cold
    The build stats are now:
    Resists: 47/56/69/36
    FR/W: 20%
    Block: 59%
    FCR: 80%

For the merc:
    He got infinity vogue with lvl 15 meditation
    Undead Crown with 5% life leach
    his resists: 75/75/75/75 - maxed across the board.

I think with the key switching the Grisu suggesting, and some more practice I should be good to go on to meph for extended magic finding.

Thanks all for the help!
    Lanello

16. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Put fireball on left and hotkey teleport, orb & meteor on right.

When enemies are sighted check immunities, teleport on the enemies to position merc. Backpedal, select correct skill based on the immunities on right and cast the right skill on top of merc. If fire immunes, spam the orb, if not spam fireball, and cast meteor everytime it times out.

17. tavaritz

tavaritz Banned

Probably Insight?

18. Lanello

Lanello IncGamers Member

Your right, Insight, but after playing with it for a while, I wanted to get more life leech, so I went back to Meatscraper. Also, I found another Tals crest tonight, so I gave one to my merc, and kept one for myself. That brings me up to 20% life leech for him between the pole and helm. I rebalanced the build again, and added resist and life charms, went back to frostburn and silkweave, and my game play has continued to improve.

I've been doing Contess runs, and finaly leveled up to 78. It's starting to come together for me. Thanks tavaritz and all.
    Peace,
    Lanello