Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with my lag problems Plz.

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Kilmin, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Kilmin

Kilmin Banned

Help with my lag problems Plz.

Well, basically my computer should have NO problem playing D2 as for I have ATi Radeon Graphic Card and Cable modem, and 512 mb ram. Soooo anyways, my main lag problem is when there is lots of monsters around, or even if I stand next to another player. I also lag ALOT when I walk down the stairs to shenk in a5, I also cannot stand in the star at Chaos Sanctuary with or w/o Diablo there. I read something about changing my refresh rate or maybe my virtual memory and paging files. I have already ran disk defrag, disk cleanup... It just seems to have something to do with my video. Plz help. Thx in advance!

Mr.Kil.

2. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Its not you, its the damn game.......I lag in all the same places.

Last night was real fun about 10pm EST......5-10+ second lag spikes every couple mins......

3. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Its not you, its the damn game.......I lag in all the same places.

Last night was real fun about 10pm EST......5-10+ second lag spikes every couple mins......

4. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Apparently the forums were lagging too. *you're double post*

Yeah, the only problems I had lag wise last night was I couldn't teleport for anything, miscasting/double casting left and right.

5. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

Its possible you could be using up all of your 512 mb of ram.

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del if you have windows xp and you can find out how much it is using when it just 'sits'. If it is using the full 512 then you have too much crap running in your system tray, or there is too much spyware running on your computer.

Mine runs at about 260 mb when its just 'sitting'.

You can also type /ping into the chat box when you are playing and it will bring up how much of your max ram you are using. Its the bottom left number that says Phys: xxx/512m.

If it is close to 512/512 when you are playing it could just be that when you are in those spots it spikes up and uses the full 512, which would cause it to have to start swapping files on and off your harddrive (which is much slower then your ram.) When you are running down the stairs to Shenk for example it will be working on moving all those stairs, moving all the trees and rocks and such, as well as loading Shenks graphics and rolling his mods, as well as loading all the other monsters that await you at the bottom.

You could try closing programs running in your system try, but there probably isn't much you can do about it. Like Stinger said, its the game mostly. I have 1280 mb of ram which I have never come close to using all of. And my pc lags very often and quite badly right after I kill Shenk and all the fire is coming down where he died, and it gets worse as I try and run up the stairs.

-hps

6. Kilmin

Kilmin Banned

Well it has done this since I installed the game. Its not just a 1 night thing. There are alot of processes running, but it says im using only 310 mb when d2 is running. I am not sure which processes are needed to run all the time w/o affecting the computer itself, but if anyone could point out some things to end process on let me know. Not sure what the commit charge is at the bottom but it says 318m/1249m..

Totals:
    Handles-9922
    Threads-500
    Processes-41

Physical Memory(k)
    Total-523760
    Available-155536
    System Cashe 261792

Commit Charge (k)
    Total-326280
    Limit-1279036
    Peak-361100

Kernal Memory(k)
    Total-68620
    Paged-50844
    Nonpaged-17772

My CPU usage is at 32% when d2 is Running. Plz help if possible. Thx.

7. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

Since it really doesn't appear that ram (or lack there of) is your problem, and your video card certainly seems to be up to par for this old game. The only other thing I can suggest is updating your Drivers.

Your video Drivers should always be as up to date as you can keep them, this may or maybe not help. You can get them at http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html. If you follow the correct links you will want the "Catalyst 6.8 Windows XP - Driver Download"

I suggest getting the "Display Drivers Only" link, and try to check that your particular card is on the supported list. If its on the unsupported list I wouldn't bother downloading the Catalyist Drivers.

There are some none ATI folks who make pretty damn good drivers also. If the Catalyist drivers don't support you I suggest trying out the "Omega drivers" that are available for free if you google that phrase (because I'm too lazy too.)

Whatever you try:
    A) Don't get your hopes up.
    B) create a bloody restore point BEFORE you start!
    c) Know that messing with drivers without a bit of knowledge can mess your computer up quick. Try to make a nerdy friend who can help you if you get stuck.
    D) Safe Mode is your friend. If your computer boots up and asks you if you want to enter it, enter it! And then use that Restore Point that you created in B).

Christ I babble a lot, sorry. I'm going to bed.
    -hps

8. happyslayer

happyslayer IncGamers Member

I'm not on a pc with d2 installed, but I know if you move a couple of the mpq files from your lod disc into the d2 folder, it does help. Can't remember which ones, one is music i think...