Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with my holy freeze ranger please...

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by JollyMachine, Jun 7, 2005.

1. JollyMachine

JollyMachine IncGamers Member

Help with my holy freeze ranger please...

Please be patient with me as I have not played d2 since the coming of the auradin, and the new ladder runewords. I am making a ranger, with the intention of using a high level holy freeze to deal the majority of my damage. I already understand that this is much less effective than using fanta, but I care little about my pvp win ratio, so long as I retain a little bit enjoyment from this game with an original build. My intentions are to max holy freeze, resist cold, and salvation. With the new runeword "Ice" (lvl 18 holy freeze when equipped), and a ward bow (good atk speed for pallys, low str req.), I realize that I could very easily bring my holy freeze to the mid 40s. And with enemy cold resist lowered with "Ice", 5/5 cold facets and a Nightwings, the damage being dealt sounds pretty badass to me. On with the questions:

1) If I choose to use "Ice", and the level 18 holy freeze when equipped, if I max holy freeze, would I be passively leveling up the holy freeze that is equipped? Or do I have to have my holy freeze on to combine the two's strength? Getting a straight answer on this will determine whether or not I will also be able to use fanta, and largely determine my build.

2) If I have to turn holy freeze on to combine the their levels, is there any way I can get my ias up without using fanta? Seeing as how I won't be using a widowmaker, ias is has got to be second to none of importance. Please Note: I am not wealthy, so rare modded gloves, etc. might be out of the question.

3) If being somewhat poor limits me to upping my ias, I will substitute leveling holy freeze for fanta, but still use a 5/5 cold facet Nightwing's with an "Ice" ward bow. What should the rest of my gear be for this build if I want my damage to revolve around cold? Note: I would prefer not to use an enigma.

4) Charms? (I can get an anni, most definitley not perfect though)

5) Stat point allocation? Obviously base mana, and lowest possible strength, but what should dexterity and vitality look like? Again note that my arrows are unguided and a high ar and atk speed is my only guarentee for survival.

Help is very much appreciated, if anything above was not stated clearly enough, I will try to clarify. Thanks.

2. HeavAngel

HeavAngel Paladin Moderator

Welcome to the forum & back to D2.

Here's our GUIDE THREAD.

Here's this: http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/classes/paladin.shtml

Here's this: http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/paladin-defense.shtml

Here's this: http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/paladin-offense.shtml

Here's this: http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/paladin-combat.shtml

Here's this thread: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=328379

Here's This: http://strategy.diabloii.net/news.php?id=542

Here's this Guide about runewords: http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=319758

GL.

See the search tool up top>?
    Type in holy freeze, or any other words and search the forum for threads for what you're looking for.

3. koeraokse

koeraokse IncGamers Member

If you ax holy freeze and use ice runeword ow then you will only have lvl 20 aura, because auras from equipment doesent stack with main auras, so take ie bow and max resist light, maybe salvation and choose a second aura, fana or something or go for the holy freeze aura yourself and use another bow...

you can socket you equipment with 15 ias jewels wich are not expensive, also you can use Loh (laying of hands) or magnus skin, they both have 2o ias and fire res, last one also gives a little AR boost...

about other equipment.. I would suggest nightwings or shako for helm, highlords for ammy you can get light res and ias and ds from there, as for the armor frtitude would e kind of good choise, oots should be gores for ow, ds, cb..

about charms, if the holy freeze is from yourself, not your weapon then I would suggest offensive skillers, I dont think that skillers would oost your damage when the aura cmes from the weapon, ut the 20 life scs and steel charms are always useful..

as for the stats, if I would be you I would put dex and str only as much as equipment needs and rest into vitality....

thats all I hope I could help...

:cheesy:
    Priit

4. JollyMachine

Thanks for the advice guys. But I still have the following question: If I were to put points into resist cold and salvation, would that be adding cold dmg to the lvl 18 holy freeze when ice is equipped? and what about 5/5 cold facets and nightwings? would that actually be adding to my holy freeze damage? Because I understand that cold resist does not work against holy freeze. if the answer to question 1 is no, then I will probably use widowmaker. And if the answer to 2 is no, then Im screwed with this build.

5. Bigrob

Bigrob Banned

use widow instead of ice.

Provide better ability cuz of guide arrow.

6. ximazealotx

ximazealotx IncGamers Member

i have a hf/hs zealot who uses widow on switch. the ga is very helpful.

7. koeraokse

if you use ce bow and max resist cold and salvation they will inrease the holy freeze damage from the bow, ut I a not sure about the facets or night wing, I think they should increae your damage but not sure..

priit

8. JollyMachine

I think what Ill do is go with Ice, max fanta, resist cold, and salvation. That way I can up my holy freeze dmg 15 and 7% per lvl, and use fanta with my friend, who plans on making a ranger. He'll be using dream, (for the lvl 15 holy shock,) widowmaker, and maxing conviction as a second aura, resist lightning, and salvation. Together that sounds awesome, and shouldn't be too expensive as I have no use for offensive gcs, I can just use defensive, which would be better for my damage anyways. Anyone have an idea as to what my 4th skill should be?

20 - Fanta
    20 - Resist Cold
    20 - Salvation
    20 - ?

9. koeraokse

you are not going to use guided arrow then and maybe you should max blessed aim for extra attack rating, it gives 5% attack rating per lvl...

*priit

10. hikids

hikids IncGamers Member

max holy shield i would and if there is any senergyies to fanna i would max them, o i am a regular frosty paladin(zeal, holy freeze,holyshield,synergyesi) and leach helps alot i fu need any help my acc name si parkertburton

11. koeraokse

he is ranger wich means he uses bow and he cant use shield so holy shield is useless and there are no synergyies for fana...

*priit