Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with LF Amazon

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by chicagofan51, May 2, 2005.

1. chicagofan51

chicagofan51 IncGamers Member

Help with LF Amazon

Hello all

I'm currently in Act 1 Hell, and my LF/CS Amazon has done very well so far. LI's are not too tough as of yet, but I fear that they will quickly become more than my little jab can handle.

I've tried to search out posts to see what people use to combat LI's, but I'd like to get some suggestions from a SPF point of view, and the way the search funciton works here, it would take forever. I am currently Level 80 in Act 2, and have 27 (soon to be 29) skill points that I have not yet used. I have LF and CS maxed out, 5 points in Valk, 5 in Lightning Strike, and 1 in all prerequisits and Passive skill.

At this point, are the poison skills worth using? Will they do enough damage to really matter? I could go with the full on Lightning skills, but it seems like overkill. Are there any good bow skills that will help me out? Pardon my ignorance, but I've never played an Amazon before.

My second question revolves around my merc, who has the life span of a Jimmy Fallon movie. I just found this:

Dusk Shroud
    Defense: 549
    Durability: 11 of 11
    Required Strength: 67
    Required Level: 49
    Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
    Item Level: 76
    Fingerprint: 0x18b293d3
    Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (4: 0 used)

I have all the runes for "Stone" but Lum (she's been lucky enough to find two Pul's in NM- one at the Hellforge, one at WSK). Would this be a good armor for a merc (currently using a HF merc). The resists from Um would put him close to max. If I do find my Lum after running the countess pretty hard, would it be better for me to use it to up my Titan's? If so, what would the damage on that look like?

A lot of questions, I know, but like I said, it's my first Amazon! I want to do everything I can for her :).

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I have matted two LF zons. I recommend either keeping a Witchwild String on switch and maxing strafe, or going the poison route. I've done both - WWS will get you physical damage and magic damage (through the built in level 20 magic arrow) and plague javalin with poison synergy will get you some killer disease damage but with more points spent.

If you go the poison route, I recommend keeping Gimmershred on switch to throw while you're waiting for them to die. Or, get a wand with lower resist charges to try to break the lightening immunity. I've tried all these methods, and they all work.

- Noodle

Oh yeah, I generally use Shaftstop on my merc's, for the DR. Can't help you with Stone, I'm afraid.

3. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

Personaly, i found the poison skils to be largely useless. My merc got the kills on LIs, and I'd wasted ~30 skill points. Especially, if you intend to MF with this character I'd suggest that you stay pure lightning (assuming you're already casting an slvl 17 Valk). Your merc will be more than capable of handling the LIs at low players setting using high CB, and you can jab as well - Hone Sundan for both you an your merc, both of you jab away, dead monsters.

4. DougTheHead2

DougTheHead2 IncGamers Member

Save your skill points for lightning synergies. Remember, each additional CS synergy point adds a max of up to 300 damage, it really adds up.

Have a good, leveled merc and a >= slvl 17 valk, and on p1 you won't have a problem. If you realllly need a solution, get something with Lower Resist charges. There are lots of good armors, I would start with say, a Gris' heart with 3 prubies. Those drop plenty often since you are just starting. Upgrade it to a Naj plate, Duriel's Shell, Shaftstop... I wouldn't use your rune wealth on a marginal base item type. Wait for a better armor to drop to Stone something.

Upping Titans: Either have a very high ed, or ethereal before you do that. It really isn't worth it, my lvl 93 zon (pure lightning) uses regular titans and doesn't even notice her physical damage. She sits and drinks a coke or just plain skips LI's though.

5. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

I wouldn't advise to make stone at all unless you have way too many um and pul runes lying around. Imo Gloom beats Stone in all the relevant categories or at least comes close enough so that there is no difference between one or the other. Make gloom in an archon plate once you find a decent one, that's useful for a large variety of builds. Even if you do make stone that probably won't help your merc too much since his defence rating will still be kinda poor.

The better way to make him last longer is to give him a big hurty stick and life leech. Also beef up your valk a little. Around 17 after +skills or so. That should do the trick. Oh, and make sure you level your merc to be at or close to your level.

On the issue of upgrading titans: No. Don't do that. Personally I wouldn't do that even if I duped runes. :D Upgrade items where the physical damage matters. Like steeldriver, hone sundan, bonesnap or a ribcracker. For LF there is next to no difference between titans and a cracked javelin so you really, really don't need to upgrade.

6. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Stay pure lightning. It's allways better to have a very strong attack, when all regular enemies get killed by 1 strike. My strategy against LIs: Faster Run/walk :) . I jabbed LI monsters I wanted to kill with upped titans, It was not the fastest, but with the merc is managable. Staying pure will pay off when you get to Baal and kill him in 15 seconds.. As someone other mentioned, Hone Sundan is the good switch weapon, also some monster's immunity can be broken by Lower resist wand.

7. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

I agree with you on everything except for "Gloom beats Stone in all relevant categories" ... because the big factor that Stone has over Gloom is 60% Faster Hit Recovery and significantly bigger defence.

Personally, the 60% FHR is huge because it allows your merc to recover much faster, hit earlier and thus leech life faster. This can make all the difference between a merc holding it's own against a nasty pack of monsters and getting stun-locked enough to allow those said monsters to decimate him.

Plus, the huge potential defence difference can really be significant - especially for a defiance merc.

However, Gloom has other benefits as well. The 15% ctc DV is really nice and can singlehandedly take attention off your merc allowing him to avoid hit-recovery and maintain damage/life leech/monster destruction. The much better resist-all in Gloom means that the merc will have resists covered for sure in Hell while Stone's +15 resist all makes maxing Hell resists only a reality once your merc reaches very high levels - like 87 plus and on.

Other than this your advice has been bang on. Good to see you again in the forums. :thumbsup:

8. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

I find that the defence is close enough so that there is no real advantage of having stone over gloom. Another 100-200 extra def won't make a difference. Imo the 30% extra resistances you get beats 60% FHR by a wide margin. Especially if you factor in the dim vision which is awesome against all kinds of ranged bastards.

Regardless of any of that, I'd probably never use either armour on a merc. They usually go on my character with shaftstop, leviathan, iron pelt or duriel's shell for my merc.

9. kresida

kresida IncGamers Member

I agree that while the poison skills look like a nice alternative in the beginning, in the end they prove to be a waste of time..Try to max your lightning skills as much as possible and for the LI, I chose to jab them to death..A strong merc and valkyrie are necessary for this..It would be nice if your merc had some equipment to slow down the monsters as well..The jab route will take more time, but I think it will also prove to be a nice challenge in Hell where your lightning skills basically blast through everything..

10. crazy_bear

crazy_bear IncGamers Member

I'm surprised no one mentioned a third alternative:
    Freezing arrow (probably best with WWS or other fast bow). With 27 skill pts you could have good dmg, and with a few cold charms you could have a good freeze duration. Even if the FA isn't killing a lot, it will make things much easier on your merc/valk, who will rip apart those frozen enemies. This is the way that I would go...

Oh, and I agree with the other posters, that armour is not worth the runes for 'Stone'.

CB

11. Lucky_Seven

Lucky_Seven IncGamers Member

The armour don't deserve the runes. I like the stone armour for my melee Chars :)

The stone Golem is very nice against Bosses and uniques :D

12. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Ahhh a thread I can add to, even if the most useful stuff has been said.

I put pts in arrow tree to get strafe and FA to figure out if Full Lightning was the way to go. Short answer, yes as everyone says, it is.

Long answer, I enjoy very much having FA (1 pt in strafe isn't enough) for use in the pits (cursed extra fast nasty archers) and for full clears of WSK. Gloams still suck but every other LI is mincemeat, and full clears are quicker.

As soon as I find a perfect NON ethereal thunderstroke I may build a pure Lightning.

13. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

For LIs, I think normally your zon takes more of a supporting role.

One pt in FA is definitely a good way to speed up the killing simply as it seems to me too many LIs are the faster ranged types that keep running away from you when you try to melee them.
    I went the reverse, ie. Act III ice merc while the valk and I jab away but thats not coventional wisdom :lol:

Even 1pt in strafe is good enough if you have a solid bow. Something with ITD(eaglehorn) would help or WWS with amp to help your merc kill faster.

IMO, lower resist charges don't seem to be that useful. It doesn't break immunities for archers in the Pit nor Gloams in the WSK but it would speed up killing the non-LIs a lot faster esp Baal.

14. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

Well, no one seems to like my idea of plague/poison javalin, but I can only add my testimony that it works. especially in the pit. Those archers go down, given a few seconds.

_Noodle