Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with Hardcore

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Trapp, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Trapp

Trapp IncGamers Member

Help with Hardcore

I havent tried 1.10 yet as I was on a school break from D2 for quite some time. I'm only looking to play hardcore so any advice is appreciated on a build that will last all the way through hell.

2. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

What I've heard

Just last week I switched to HC Ladder on West. I'll pass on some tips that I recieved from some very experienced Hardcore types:

*Do not go to the next difficulty until your resists will be maxed there. The enchanted/spectal hit monsters do big dammage(and conviction aura would = instant death).

*Pick up and identify every rare (and blue even). They very often give resists and other useful mods. The weapons often do nice dammage, and can spawn with life/mana leach which new players are often hurting for.

*No matter what class or build, have base or near base mana. Put those points in Vitality.

*walk instead of run. Running makes defence=zero and lowers block by 2/3. Just as bad, you tend to end up too close to monsters you didn't know were there. Most deaths in HC come at the hands of random unique monsters! Do not forget that. It isn't lag, or bosses, it's random uniques that you need to fear. Also, when a necro walks, their skellies tend to surround them much better and they are your best chance at staying alive.

*Don't rush ahead. Try to keep your level above the monster level so they will have a harder time hitting you and your skellies will have an easier time hitting them. Even if your skill levels don't change, your killing speed will go up due to increased to hit %.

*If you can afford to get max block, do it. (a complicated decision when untwinked)

*mule constantly, then mule some more. Then when you finish, mule again. It sucks to die and lose that nice item you just found because you couldn't be bothered muling. Keep only what you can actually presently use on that particular level. Mule everything else right away. My barb is level 20. I just found a ring that gives 3% mana leach that is usable at level 23. I muled the ring. I play with a various members of another web site community and it's great. You can trust them and just throw your stuff on the ground and bring your other character, so I don't have to waste time perming a game.

*Try not to play alone, but play with someone you trust so you can set "loot". If you die you lose your character, but at least your friend can give you back the gear you were wearing.

*If you play in public games, beware of player killers. They are disgustingly common! Watch with great suspicion for people of unusual level for the area (this won't always tip you off but helps sometimes). They often enter sewer run or baal run games and some of them use hacks that let them bypass the hostile wp timer. If you hear the hostile horn go to town unless you don't mind rebuilding and losing your gear. This is what spurred me to join that group. They haven't had a player killer sneak in in almost 2 years. A character built to pk (by a rich person who knows what they're doing) can take on 4-5 pvm characters of significantly higher level without breaking a sweat!! Level 9 and 18 are noteworthy levels because certain powerfull jewels become available. The level 24 bonesnap charger is also a common cheese pker.

*If you are concerned with surviving and aren't bothered by a relativly slow killing speed, a pure summoner can't be beat for safety. I haven't done it myself yet in hc,... but many respected necro experts on this forum and others have said that a pure summoner can beat the game using only what they find along the way. By pure, I mean the following:

raise skeleton-20
    skeleton mastery-20
    raise skeletal mage-20 (targets that aren't you help a lot! And they do dmg)
    revive-1
    summon resist-1
    all curses-1+ (adjust based on gear, dim vision is very worthy of extra points)
    corpse explosion-1+ (whatever is left, to improve killing speed only after curses are satisfactory in area and duration)

A typical softcore summoner uses a might merc to increase killing speed. You may or may not want to consider other more defensive options. Personally, I am going to use my prayer merc until I can get might.

I have tried to use those tips and am doing well so far. My Summoner necro is level 28 now, but I decided to put him on hold in lieu of a magic find sorc so the necro will have better gear before he hits hell. I have my magic find sorc up to 55 now in act 2 NM. She has base mana and dex, 60 str, and all else in vitality. She has around 750 life already and 75 75 75 58 resists in nm. I didn't go for block because I am untwinked, and knew I needed resists from my shield. I wasn't gunna get the best of both worlds, so I chose max resists over blocking and compensated with crazy high life. It was pretty brutal going with base mana, I'm sure mt sorc's tongue will be blue for years from all the blue mana pots she had to drink, but it was worth it. Yesterday on a norm baal run I found a pair of frostburns and a string of ears. I cried tears of joy :) (not literally, but you get the idea)

One thing I have found is that if you're starting fresh it is really worth your while to run norm baal. In hc you need every edge you can get, even at low levels, so if you can give your characters a few choice items it makes all the difference. I have found lots of nice things running the tombs in act 2 nm also. So I run for items and gain a ton of exp as I go. When I am tough enough I quest to the next act, then stop and mf some more.

I'm not sure if this is common to all hc games or just my community, but team play is way more common. People call out unique monster's mods. They make builds that synergize with other players (bo, oak sage, shout, enchant, inner sight, high level static, etc). If you lag, people always seem to notice and protect you until you are ok. I have never had so much fun playing. Ya, it sucks to go from uber rich (my sc mules make most people very green with envy[7 eth botd for example]) to total poverty,... but It's kind of like discovering the game all over again :)

If you're on US West HC Ladder, look me up sometime. My accounts are:

*sawse4
    *sawse5
    *sawse6
    *sawse7
    *sawse8

(2-3 real character slots on each account, the rest are mostly empty mules)

PS: I just took a look at my post,... holy $hit did I ever ramble on!

3. Grignr

Grignr IncGamers Member

Ok. no doubt this is the supidest question ever, and I have been waiting and waiting to post it in case someone else, does, but here goes...

How do you mule??

It seems to me that you cant have two games of Diablo going at the same time, and I cant think of any other possible way to transfer items from one character to another.

Yes, I've probably missed something.

4. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

Feel no shame. When I started I didn't know how to do it either. Be advised that the only 100% safe way to transfer is buy "trading" the item to a friend then rejoining with the mule and getting them to "trade" it back to you. Here's how you mule:

1. create a passworded normal difficulty game. Use the same name and password every time so you don't forget it. When you are tired, you can forget the game you just made very easily, trust me. I've done it.

2. Stay in the game for a minimum of 5 minutes. I prefer 10 minutes myself.

3. Exit the game without dropping anything.

4. Re-enter the game, thus ensuring that the game has been perm'd.

5. Drop the items you want to mule in act one town.

6. Exit the game and re-enter with the mule character

7. Pick up the items. Muling complete :)

Some people say that if you enter/exit too rapidly that you can get locked out of the game and will get the message that the game is full even when it is empty. This has NEVER happened to me even though I do it very quickly, and I have been playing since the first day the game was released. An empty game will only exist for 5 minutes so if you believe them, don't pause too long. If your computer happens to freeze or somethinfg mid mule, don't panic. Just re-boot and go in asap. I have only lost things twice out of probably thousands of times.

Before you mule, play a little while. If you find that battle net is very laggy, you may run the risk of getting the "realm down" message, where you can't get back on. When it's like that I never mule. If it's hardcore and you have a valuable item you don't want to risk loosing, just play a different character.

5. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

5 minutes is needed to make a game permanent. The game will stay "alive" for 5 minutes (*i think) after you leave the game. make it norm. go do meph, and other bosses or superunigues for 5 minutes.

you don't need mages, a preference. amplify damage and decrepfiy will remove physical immunities making them easy prey for your skeleton mob.

6. sawse

sawse IncGamers Member

Mages add extra dammage vs all opponants, and kill immune to physical/stoneskin unique monsters. Amp will not remove their physical immunities. Decrepify will remove even fewer physical immunities. You can expect to meet 8-10 of these uniques with unremovable physical immunity while playing through hell. Since this is hardcore, it can be very dangerous to suddenly be unable to hurt things. What if he notices too late?

Also, a big reason for adding mages is that they provide extra tanks. Since he is playing untwinked, and has to emphasize defence over + to skills, his skeletons won't be as powerful and will be more fragile than someone with level 35 skills. Extra bodies are a big help.

7. Lyrs

Lyrs IncGamers Member

that's where revives come in. mages don't have much hp anyway, so they'll go down fast. however, revies = less bodies for CE. =/

i haven't met any monster that i couldn't remove PI, but probably just means i haven't played long enough. however, i think those are very few and not worth the investment.

however, if you feel a need to get rid of those, you could use lower resists and CE. 50% fire dmg. unless they are also fire immune, i think it'll be fine.

8. tpiercymtv

tpiercymtv IncGamers Member

Yes you can for sure be locked out of a game if you exit/enter to quick it has happened to me many a time. You will have 5 minutes before the game goes down..so there is no real rush...so take your time...its really worth it.