Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with Frosmaiden

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ergroilnin, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Ergroilnin

Ergroilnin IncGamers Member

So guys,

I started a frostmaiden and I absolutely fell in love with the character and how she plays. It's easily my most enjoybale character so I decided to play her more seriously, I want to get her to high level (95+) and slowly get her best possible equipment.

At the moment she is lvl 70 about to finish NM act 5 (so far I am easilly cutting through everything even at /p8 but I plan /p1-3 for Hell for the time being) and her equipment:

Non upgraded Shael'd Lycander's Aim
    Twitchthroe
    PToppaze's Shako
    The Cat's Eye
    Rare Gloves (+2 Bow, 20% IAS, 3ML, 29 Cold Resist)
    Ravenfrost (18 Dex, 250 AR)
    Rare ring (29 AR, 7LL, 12 Dex, 37 Life, 41 Mana, 13 CR)
    Mavina's Belt
    Silkweave

And half of the inventory filled with poison/ice damage charms, Gheed's, FHR/Allres GC etc.

Stats:

Atm 117 str
    Rest dex

Skills:

20 FA, 20 CA, 20 Valkyrie, now maxing Strafe

The equipment planned for the far future:

Nighwing Veil, cold facet
    Some 20% IAS amulet, not sure which one perhaps Highlord's?
    Ice GMB (yeah I heard that MB is better for pure FA dmg, but the physical dmg sux way too much, I like the way GMB looks more and the arrows dissapear way too fast at 8 FPA)
    Razortail
    CTA on switch
    Ravenfrost
    Dual Leech rare ring
    Rare/Crafed Gloves (2 bow, 20 ias, 3ml and some stats or better resists)
    Perhaps crafted mana boots with resists and 30 FRW?
    CoH armor

some bow skillers too.

I plan on living with her in Chaos Sanctuary since I love that place and it's decent drop/exp too.

Is there anything that could be done better and are there some obvious middle ground items to get before I get my final equipment? Because as of now, I actually do not have Jah, Ber, Lo, Ohm runes, I don't have Nighwing Veil, Razortail and crafted items either.

2. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

Melody runeword in +3 bow skills amazon bow, preferably matriarchal bow, Wizendraw, Skullders Ire, Skin of the Vipermagi (socket them with the mods you miss). Rare amazon amulets are awesome, also Highlords, Mara.

3. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I just used harmony + windforce for my strafe/FA zon. Got to lvl 95 in AT (93 or 94 was from pits). Harmony adds some cold dmg and vigor which ofc is super nice for faster runs. Strafe + windforce was used for CIs/leech

4. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

Harmony is awesome for switch against Cold Immunes.

5. pharphis

I used harmony for FA, and windforce for CIs

6. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

That's nice, but OP clearly doesn't have a WF, nor do I. In that case Melody>Harmony for FA, and Harmony>Melody for a physical damage skill.

7. Ergroilnin

Yeah unfortunately no WF for me. The Melody looks nice and I do have +3 GMB for it but is it really worth it over Lycander's? It would give 2 more skills but since it has lower IAS, I'd have to switch something for + IAS to keep the same FPA so it would probably only be +1 more skill to FA not to mention losing the ML, physical dmg and stats.

8. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

That's why Melody is better in a Matriarchal Bow. I wouldn't switch Lycander's over a GMB.

9. Ergroilnin

By the way, I said that I want to run Chaos Sanctuary with her... Well after questing through once it seems immediately much less fun there so I will probably be farming with her somewhere else. Are there any other obvious places other than AT and Pindle for her?

10. Kimppi

Kimppi IncGamers Member

If you want to farm experience, Baal works fairly fine as long as you don't expect too competitive runtimes.

Here's a couple of bad runs from when I ran him.

11. Cyrax

Cyrax IncGamers Member

Kimppi, have you tried faith as a bow? Asking because mine is using that and just by looking at the runs i don't see much difference between that and ice. While with ice's minus cold resists i expected it to do quite a bit better. Any thoughts on the matter?

Also: I see you mentioning not getting too competitive runtimes. While i have to agree you won't get the speed of a lightsorc or some other topnotch runner, the runtimes are very acceptable. And you'll be outrunning quite a few builds. Used mine in an MFO running Baals and she did quite well.

12. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

For competitive runtimes you need Enigma on that thing anyway. Looking at possibilities, she could perform quite good. As for Faith vs Ice, it seems 50/50 to me. They offer similar damage output for freezing arrow (losing like 30-35% total cold skill damage from Ice and getting 7 fpa vs 9 fpa in return) + having stronger physical damage cause of Fanaticism and higher AR too. I do believe that sub 3 min Lister runs are possible. Don't know about Baal, she doesn't seem like a good Baal killer overall. But up to level 97 you don't have to bother with Baal for xp anyway.

EDIT: looking at resists of baal waves, I do think Ice wins against Faith overall considering the damage loss on freezing arrow. As for farming with her, Baal is in general not a good place to farm with anything really.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  13. Kimppi

Kimppi IncGamers Member

Nah, I don't think I have even made a Faith after my restart but they seem to be pretty equal. I'll just leave the calculations to those who bother to do them, my reason for using Ice on her is that I feel it's the weapon a FA zon should be using because it has all the cold crap in it :) . I actually made a CtA GMB to use as a physical switch weapon for the higher base damage.

But yeah, I think you really need the Enigma for the best times. I would say the three biggest timesinks are the run to throne, wave 2 skellies and Baal. I think I waste something like a minute there before I even get to the waves. Enigma gives a nice boost to FRW and with FRW charms you run pretty fast. The low cast frames don't annoy too much at that point, just do the good old run-tele-combo.

14. mir

mir IncGamers Member

Nihlathak temple, lvls 1-2. Everything cold immune is easy enough to kill with strafe and the small corridors are great for FA

15. pharphis

^that sounds kinda fun

16. Jcakes

Jcakes IncGamers Member

In b4 pharphis deeds a lvl 98 zon to nihl.

bodry likes this.
  17. pharphis

FTFY

Jcakes likes this.
  18. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Please, have some faith in Phar! Who will wait till 98 to deed amazon, he would deed her before that.

bodry, pharphis and Jcakes like this.
  19. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

Bow amazon for hardcore, sounds like fun! If one defines fun by getting a heart attack every now and then. :p

20. bodry

bodry IncGamers Member

How does cold bowazon compare to a pure physical bowazon in those regards?