Help with fire sorc, after about 15 years not playing...

barbrady123

Diabloii.Net Member
So, I'm the typical "decided to start playing again after x year" person....used to play a Blizz sorc long, long ago...

I'm playing around with a fire mage (fireball/meteor) and I'm aware of the issues with resistances in Hell, but currently I'm only on normal and I'm not sure where my spec/strategy is going wrong. Everything is great up until Act 4 of course...I just beat Diablo, so I've moved on....but still, it was a horrible experience. I'm aware that you cannot go "all in" on a single element, so I have static field, and some in frost bolt in case I run into fire-resist mobs, but....

Act 4: my fireballs (currently have like 12 or 13 in them) obliterate everything prior to this act (most things 1-shot), but now does nothing. So, I'm trying to rely on a "back up" spell in cold (frost bolt)...but this does almost no damage to mobs here, obviously I can't level two offensive spells in two different trees to a reasonable level at the same time. yes I have a backup, but it's only level 3 or 4...which is about all I can manage....and a level 3/4 frost bold in Act 4 (even on normal) does nothing. I run out of mana on a single standard mob most of the time.

My act 4 was mostly...run around agroing stuff, teleport back a small ways to put the merc (tank) in front....and basically let him kill everything. I don't mean, he tanks and I kill...I mean, he tanks and pretty much also kills everything, while I occasionally shoot some fireballs at things to help a little. Is this supposed to be played this way? It seems like a sorc shouldn't be dead in the water without a merc *this* early in the game (normal).

Diablo himself was a nightmare...took me FOREVER to kill him, which I don't recall ever having an issue with him before on Normal with *any* class. So first pass I ran in and static field-ed him until that reaches it's limit...I think that quickly puts him down to 25 or 30%, whatever it is where you stop gaining any dmg from this spell. Now from this point on, he took almost ZERO damage from all my spells. Fire spells did nothing, even my ice bolts did nothing...I would say his health bar went down a pixel like every 20 shots, maybe less..? is that right? What else can I hit him with after the initial static fields ??? mercs are kinda useless with him, because the tanks don't last long enough...obviously my merc on normal with usual gear isn't going to have great fire resist, so many of diablo's attacks one shot him.

Now, it's pretty easy to run around and avoid diablo for the most part.....and of course there are limits to where he can run, so you can always go "out of range" from him and kick back, use a portal, etc....but this seems cheesy to rely on. Even so, it took me probably a solid hour to kill him....fire seemed useless (I don't remember his fire resist being this extreme on normal?? maybe it always was)....and my ice bolts ...jeesh, probably took 200+ to get him that last 25-30% ....considering dropping him from 100% to that point with static field took about 6 seconds, it seems silly that the rest of the fight takes forever.

Am I doing something wrong? I really don't want to dig myself deeper into this hole on act 5 and then nightmare, and be destroyed on Act 4 again in NM....any ideas would be appreciated. I suppose I could respec to cold with a fire/elec backup, at least until I have good gear (I dunno where you guys find this +skills stuff, i've never seen a piece on this playthrough yet)....but I'm hoping there's another option than a complete respec. I mean fire, with some supplementary backup in another tree (cold) *should* be usable...I would think...

Noodle

First, welcome here!

What level are you?

The standard cold spell for fire or lightning based builds is Frozen Orb, which will remain useful in Hell.

Can you post your gear as well? Are you playing Single Player, or on Battlenet?

barbrady123

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks! I'm only 27, so I don't have access to frozen orb yet...but I'm glad you mentioned it, because I probably wouldn't have even considered it as an option. I'm aware it's popular for a cold build, but I didn't think for a fire build it would be that useful as a off-element choice...good to know! Annoyingly, I'm single player...it's a long story but somehow that choice got made LOL .... gear is terrible. Like I said, I have no idea how to find the all-important +skills stuff....I rarely ever see it for any class, and I've never found any for sorc. I have a staff that is I think +1 Fireball/+1 Blaze....the rest is not + anything related to sorc skills....just good def/maybe some resists... I know there's a couple easy to find runewords that you can setup for +skills....but finding a correctly-socketed non-magic item (particularly a weapon) is pretty much impossible...lol

I've got pretty much all points into vitality, except for some in str to be able to wear a few items of gear that I found (it's still really low though, I wanna say about 35), and maybe I spent a couple in energy, nothing in dex....but I think that's all pretty standard for sorc.

Noodle

I vastly prefer Single Player, actually. If you haven't yet, I'd immediately go to the Single Player Forum and download either ATMA or GoMule. They're forum approved muling programs that essentially give you unlimited stash space. They're also used in trading, as items can be e-mailed as attachments. The Single Player Forum is also the most active one here, and you'll likely find friendly people eager to help out.

I usually target normal Diablo at about level 30, so you might want to go back and pick up a few more levels. If you use the /players8 command, it shouldn't take long. Did you update to the current 1.14 patch?

Lastly, once you have ATMA or GoMule, I'd be happy to donate some sorc gear. I have literally thousands of items I've saved over the years, just gathering virtual dust.

barbrady123

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh, that's really cool...I will download that immediately. Actually inventory management is the biggest thing pissing me off since restarting...I don't remember hating it so much before, but I guess I'm spoiled from other ARPGs, etc. It's just insanely limited....

And yea, I did "feel" like my level was a little low for everything i was encoutering, but I wasn't sure because I don't rush through single player. I do every dungeon, map out every optional spot...I even ran a few tomb runs through all 7 multiple times...still only ended up in Act 5 and just shy of 28.

anyway, limme grab that thng you mentioned and check it out...thanks a lot

Noodle

Oh, and Diablo's fire/cold/lightning resistances in Normal are 33%, which increases to 50% in Nightmare and Hell. His Poison resistance is 50% in all difficulties.

Kitteh

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I would suggest that you use GoMule instead of ATMA, it's far more user friendly and up-to-date. ATMA is still good for older versions though, there is an issue with GoMule and older versions, I forget what. Also, ATMA does something funny with essences I think.

barbrady123

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh, and Diablo's fire/cold/lightning resistances in Normal are 33%, which increases to 50% in Nightmare and Hell. His Poison resistance is 50% in all difficulties.
Hmm, ok then...perhaps I just don't remember how much hp he had, or like you said, I may have fought him a few levels early....because it was literally hundreds of shots (cold or fire) to bring him down from the static field threshold, which seemed wrong, but maybe not...