Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with changing or adding...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Void Stalker, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Void Stalker

Void Stalker Diabloii.Net Member

Hi all, I have a bit of a pet peeve, and this is the whole {change icon} thing for windows folders. I don't mean folders for windows components, but rather icons for shortcuts I create. Can anyone tell me how to do some [hopefully] simple thigs, like;

1) Add icons to the default icons provided in the "Change Icon" folder?
    2) Edit icons within this folder?

This may not be a thing for everyone, and doesn't have anything to do with Diablo, but it just bugs me not knowing how to be able to make/edit icons of my own design, dang it!

So, can anyone help me figure this out?

Right now, I'm specifically looking to be able to take a screen shot in game of some characters, and then cut them down to size and use that image as the folders icon, but do not have any idea how to do this, or even if it is allowed/possible.

Help...?! o_O

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

3. Void Stalker

Thanks for the help and quick reply!

Hmmm. That actually doesn't get the result I'm looking for, unfortunately. I know how to change icons by using those steps, but what I am looking for right now is how to create my own icons, and then be able to use them, instead of the default/generic icons provided in the list.

I the last few minutes, I have been experimenting with the whole [right click >>> create new bitmap image >>> save my screenshot taken either with fraps or the print screen button], but my images are not the same size as those in the icon folders, and so display as much smaller images.

During these experiments, I noticed that the default program does not give me the option of creating the file type used by the actual icons. Is there a difference between all the different ways to look at/edit a picture/screenshot, such that I can create proper icons?

I'm not the most computer literate fellow on the planet, so please help me discover the creation and use of custom Icons.

Is it ok to post images here? Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  4. Void Stalker

I'm going to post these two images, and then folks can see what I am talking about. If this is not ok, i'll delete them as soon as I learn it isn't ok.

First one is 4X the normal one, just so I can be sure that folks have a big enough image to work with:
    [​IMG]

This second image is probably not needed, but is to normal scale:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, these are images of my desktop folders, with custom icons {OK, ya got me, just BMP images used for icons, cause I don't know how to make actual icon image files}

5. superdave

superdave Diabloii.Net Member

try this....

pic2icon. com/

or one of the hundreds of other icon generators out there.

6. Void Stalker

Thanks!

7. Void Stalker

Is there anything like a funny "Picture of the Day" thing here?

8. Void Stalker

Back in my Diablo 1 days, and fellow warrior and I tried to play legit, and use teamwork to hack and slash our way through the game. We worked out a simple strategy, where we would station one guy in a doorway, and the other would go out and gather up a large hoard of monsters, and lead them back to the trap, and then we could kill huge numbers of enemies by fighting them 2:1 instead of 2 vs 20 or more. My partner didn't really spend so much time as the bait, but really began to see the payoff when he was the guard, and I was the bait, because I would always bring a big slaughter fest to the trap.

Back in those days, they allowed players to bind text to some of the keys, for the rapid posting of preset messages.

On one fine day, I was running around as the bait guy, and ran around a particular corner, while being pursued by a vast throng already, and had a "Close Encounter" with the Skeleton King! In D2 terms, he was extra strong, extra fast, and would chase you until he caught you, lost sight of you, killed you, or died trying!

Unfortunately, on this particular day, he had an unusually large pack in attendance, and, equally unfortunate, this pack were all skeleton archers! Dodging many arrows, while avoiding getting up close and personal with their boss, and never forgetting the vast crowd I already had chasing me, I finally managed to get around all my massed enemies, and made a beeline for the door being guarded by my partner.

One thing that could break our strategy, was ranged attackers firing through the crowd and hitting us, repeatedly, while engaged with a long series of melee monsters, and never mind the super unique, nor that these ranged attackers were all part of his pack. Knowing this, and knowing that we could only run far away if we were to stand any chance of victory, and not having any time to try to stop and attempt to type in a warning to my unsuspecting friend, who, bless his heart, and said that we could handle anything the enemy could throw at us, I resorted to the use of one of my preset messages.

I ran for my life, taking an evasive path to avoid near instant death from being stunlocked by the clouds of arrows coming my way, at the hands of the huge mob, and spammed my warning to my friend.

Think of the bad old days, when spammers would flood your screen on b.net, and that is a tiny bit more than what I did that day, in panic, and in an attempt to warn my comrade in arms of the danger we were in.

I ran through the designated doorway, and without breaking stride, kept right on running, spamming that preset message for all I was worth. As fate would have it, I was not the only one who was a "Monty Python" fan, and so my use of the preset message triggered a response that led to my companions death at the hands of the pursuing hoard. I ran all the way back to our rally point, several rooms back, and attempted to get a response from my ally, only to eventually be rewarded with the message of his death! :(

I began to think that perhaps he had had a computer/internet connection crash, as his silence, both before and after his character bit the farm stretched out for what seemed an eternity, when finally I saw his next comment:

Did you ever see a movie called "Monty Python, the quest for the holy grail"?

And then I KNEW it was my fault that he died. How had I killed my friend, you ask. I don't have a screen shot of this event, naturally, as I didn't even know how to do such a thing way back when, but I bet many of you already know what my message must have said, right?

Something like this...

RUN AWAY!!!..........RUN AWAY!!!..........RUN AWAY!!!..........RUN AWAY!!!..........RUN AWAY!!!..........RUN AWAY!!!..........RUN AWAY!!!..........RUN AWAY!!!..........RUN AWAY!!!..........RUN AWAY!!!..........RUN AWAY!!!..........RUN AWAY!!!..........RUN AWAY!!!..........RUN AWAY!!!..........RUN AWAY!!!..........RUN AWAY!!!..........RUN AWAY!!!..........RUN AWAY!!!..........

Over and over and over again. Folks that don't get this, or why it killed his character, either are not fans of MP films, or have an atrophied sense of humor.:p

His cause of death?

He died laughing! More specifically, his character died, because the poor sot trying to control him was laughing his ass off so hard that he fell out of his chair, and was attempting the almost impossible task of pointing and clicking an escape path for his poor, ill-fated digital dude, while gasping for air between frantic mouse clicks.

I found all this out, several minutes after the fact, as he gave me rundown on why, with all the warning he had ahead of time, he failed to fall back.

Ooopps!!!;):(:confused::eek::oops:o_O

9. jmervyn

jmervyn Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not clear about how in-depth a solution you're looking for... If you're talking about adding icons to the default listing, you're actually talking about hacking "imageres.dll". I wouldn't do it, I wouldn't advise it, & it'll get overwritten by Windows the next time it's included in a patch.

That said, here's an article that might be a little more in depth about what you're asking? I've not used any of the software so I can't recommend it, but the write-up seems pretty decent.

https://winaero.com/blog/change-icons-default-libraries-windows-10/

Void Stalker likes this.