Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with buying a TV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Mar 11, 2004.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Help with buying a TV

I have decided I need a television in my bedroom. What should I look for in a mid-range set? I want a bigger one that a 19". What are some good brands? In your experience, what is a good TV to buy under 500 bucks?

I can do a google and search, but I would rather have opinions from people I semi-know.

Thanky!!

2. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

panasonic and sony are pretty good, but have gotten REALLY expensive lately, which i didn't notice, philips is also pretty good

here's a 25 inch philips for $220 at bestbuy.com

here's a 27 inch panasonic for $270 at bestbuy.com

here's a 27 inch sony for right at $500 at bestbuy.com

it's just, sony in my opinion has become quite overpriced, if you don't want to buy a tv online you could probably check a best buy store, i think their online prices are pretty similar to their instore prices

3. TurdFergusen

TurdFergusen Banned

Get a 52 inch plasma flat screen, cheapskate.

4. GIR

GIR Banned

I got a Sony Wega Trinitron Flat Screen at Circuit City about a year ago.

For under $500 you can get a 27" for $359.99 there right now, which isn't too bad considering I bought my 20" from there for $300 a year ago. I would have gone bigger, but I have narrow stairwells and 3 flights of stairs to haul it up, so the 20" was pushing maximum size for my stairwells.

The type and brand have done me well.

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=0&b=g&[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdgadckmddeeklcfngcfkmdffhdffo.0&catoid=-11482&qp=0&oid=57605

5. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Consumer Reports magazine should have some type of article on name brands, cost, quality, and customer satisfaction for the type of sets that you are looking for. I realize that this is not quite what you were looking for, but that is the best advice I can offer.

6. zodiac66

I will see if I can find an issue for that.

The TV I have in my livingroom is a GE 27". Its OK..could be better. I was thinking of putting that in my room and getting a better than OK TV for the livingroom.

Turd..you are right..I am being cheap. I should just go out and get one of those 10 grand tv's that hang on the wall. (j/k sarcasm..although, I would love to have one of those).

7. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

So you're looking for a 20"-25" I'm assuming.

For a decent 20" you should be looking at about @$100 and a 25" should set you back about $200 or so. For brands, I go with Panasonic, Sony, Philips, RCA, Sanyo and so on. Remember, it's technology, you get what you pay for (brand-wise).

8. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Sony has good quality, but for that extra little bit of quality, you pay a big difference in price. I have a Toshiba 24" flat screen that I paid about 300 for a little while ago. It's pretty nice and has a great picture. The sound sometimes isn't top of the line quality though.

Your first choice needs to be flat screen vs. non-flat screen as that's going to change your price a lot.

9. zodiac66

Aero..you pose a good question to me. What exactly is the difference in quality from a normal screen as opposed to flat?

10. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

A flat screen will give you a sharper picture, and I think it'll take up less space. But it'll also cost like 1.5 times as much as the same size non flat screen. If you are going to be watching your TV from far away, I'd recommend a flat screen if you've got the budget for it. Also, check the number of A/V jacks on the TV, and check for s-video too. I think a lot of DVD players these days use S-video, I know you can get S-video hookups for Xbox, and maybe PS-2 as well.

11. Sergeant

Sergeant IncGamers Member

Yes, I would HIGHLY recommend the flat picture tv's. I'm talking about the regular tv's that have the flat picture glass versus the curved. The picture image and quality are much better.

I have a 27" panasonic I paid about 300 or so for and I'm so happy with it, great tv.

12. ZeppelinAngel

ZeppelinAngel IncGamers Member

i got a flat screen for my birthday, and it seems to have a pretty good picture, they are nice

13. Kitana

Kitana IncGamers Member

If it makes any difference.. Just about all the electronics I have bought in the last 10 years have been Phillips. I have had one problem in those ten years, and that was my brother shaving off the little pads to the remote control so I couldn't really push the buttons. Even with that, I sent it to Philips, and they sent me a new one, no charge. (The tv was still under warranty, though)

The one TV that I got was a 37" about 8 years ago. Still works great. The remote for the DVD player that I got a couple months ago controls the TV, VCR and DVD player, since it's all the same brand (Phillips). Now.. If I can just figure out how to make it control my cable box as well.. everything would be great...

14. Crispyknight

Crispyknight IncGamers Member

Component jacks will improve picture and sound even more than s- hook ups, but a good set of component cables will cost you another $80 or so. Depends on how much importance you place on picture quality, but if you're set at under a $500 budget, you wont be getting anything overly spectacular, anyway.

(I should talk. My TV is six years old with co-ax ookups. Wanna go shopping together?)

15. zodiac66

Well, I bought my TV. Its a HDTV with flat screen, 27". It was on sale at Best Buy (I should have known better than to go there). They had this program that you can either take 10% off or get 24 months free financing. So, I went with the free financing for 2 years. When I looked at the receipt, it said 6 months same as cash, not 2 years. So now I have to go back and get an adjustment on the credit terms of the sale. This 6 months same as cash blurb is in tiny, smeared ink. I wonder how many people got screwed out of their "free" financing.

16. Kitana

Kitana IncGamers Member

Ooo... so now you get to deal with BB's customer service, or lack thereof. I'm sorry, Zod :(

17. zodiac66

If they give me a hard time..they will be the ones who are sorry. I can be quite pushy if I am screwed out of something.