Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Help with Baaling Blizzballer?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by handofnaz, Apr 23, 2008.

1. handofnaz

handofnaz IncGamers Member

Help with Baaling Blizzballer?

Hey guys! I need some advice on my Baal-running Blizzballer. She's clvl 87 right now, running a 2.5kish Blizzard, a 3k FB and a 7k Meteor. She works wonderfully in all aspects of the game and can confidently rip up the minion waves as I kill them at a maximum of p3. The problem is Baal himself.

The killing goes far too slowly for my taste, clocking in at about 2 to 3 minutes. My Blizzard isn't good enough to rock Baal's world, apparently... stacked Meteors are much faster at taking him down, strangely enough. This is with an LR staff on switch, by the way, and yes, I dump Fireballs in between timers either way. Pretty dismal, right?

My gear is fairly substandard skillwise (and I've read about how Blizzballers really need those skills): Shako, Skullder's, a +2 rare ammy, Wizardspike, 35 Spirit, Arach, Magefists, War Travs, and some resistance rings. I also have a Nightwing's Veil, but it's an 8% (yecch) and I don't fancy surrendering the MF, life, mana and DR from Harley for such a measly boost.

My CM with gear is hovering at around 14 at the moment, and I'm aware that I should be at at least 17 for general PvM's sake, but now I'm starting to wonder whether it's worth pushing my cold tree any further considering how generally useless Blizz has been in terms of killing Baal.

Am I doing something wrong? Colour me crazy, but I was expecting to kill Baal with Blizzard. Not that I have anything against Meteor, mind you. Shall I level my Fire tree instead from now on, or is there hope for my pathetically crippled Blizzard? I've considered trying out a CL/Blizz sorc for Baal runs as well, then realised that I'll run into the exact same boss kill problems.

Any suggestions will be truly appreciated. I'm dyin' here.

2. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Re: Help with Baaling Blizzballer?

What you are doing wrong, is not having CM at 17. Stick some skillers on if you have them or get those extra points somehow. CM works differently to LM and FM. I can't remember Baals CR off hand - check the Tough Tips thread I created, it's in there.

I run with a Kelpie on the moron for baal running. I drop a meteor on Baals head, static like crazy, blizzard, IB, IB, IB, Blizzard, IB, IB, IB, Blizzard. Repeat.

It takes me no where near that long to kill Baal. You need slow on your merc, or you'll be chasing Baal around the throne. Once slowed, Baal shouldn't be a danger to you or your merc.

EDIT: Killing speed/survivability > MF. (Mine uses a Full Tals set though.)

3. Jaago

Jaago IncGamers Member

How have you spent your skill points? 20 Fire Ball, 20 Meteor, 20 Blizz, 20 GS (or Ice Blast) 1 in FM, some in CM and rest in another Blizz synergy, I assume. Have you got skillers?

Baal has 50 resist all, iirc, so CM is effective against him until level 27. Many of Baal's minions also have 50 cold res, so investing in the mastery might not be a bad idea.

Crushing blow on your merc might speed the boss kiling. But the slow would be more important, though. It's not easy to get both and retain some survivability, too.

On a side note, Baal is far from being the most effective mf target, although it is probably the most fun and challenging one.

4. handofnaz

Thanks for the responses, folks. My merc is on permanent Kelpie duty, been waiting for an ethereal one to help up his leech. Might consider throwing a Guillaume's on him when I do find and socket an eth Kelpie.

That's my exact skill assignment, Jaago, about 5 hard points in CM and the rest spent maxing the four main spells. I've only got two fire skillers, sadly. I'm pretty happy with the Blizzard damage right now, just a bit disappointed with the Baal kill. Granted, CM could use a couple more points in it.

Did a few test runs a while ago. I used to alternate between Blizz and Meteor to kill Baal, but I tried them individually and managed to hack my time down to 1/1.30 with Meteor. This sounds nuts, but I'm now considering focusing on boosting my fire damage instead. Would that be a hideously stupid thing to do?

I'm dedicated to Baal for the fun factor, definitely, but mostly because I feel like I've exhausted Meph of all the goodies I'd ever want from him. And Baal's a tad more interesting to hit than Pindle, honestly. I've got other chars running the rest of the 85 areas, so the Blizzballer's like my prized little one-trick angel.

Ps, nice job on the Tips thread, Thy. Lots of really useful stuff coming up in there. And yeah, I'm aiming to eventually use full Tal's on my sorc, but so far I've only found six masks and a belt. So tragic.

5. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

20/28 in IB and Bliz, 20/29 Fball. 19/28 meteor, 12/22 CM, 1/12 FM here

Gives 2.5k blizz, 6.7k meteor, 1.4k IB and 3k Fball.

That's base as she stands. usually carrying a few more skillers than that.

Average baal run time (WP to exit) 4-5 mins. (I know I'm not quick.)

EDIT: Ty on the tips. :smiley:

6. bassen

bassen IncGamers Member

hmm

Kill Baal you say? One word = Kelpie Snare and act 2 merc

TP: close to Baal and your merc will directly attack Baal instead of vines from the ground. within a few minutse he´s dead.

My-self I went to bed at let my merc kill him one day, when I woke up Baal wa dead =)

7. Neksja

Neksja IncGamers Member

Hi! :wave:

I have blizzballer at lvl93 now and she will be my attempt to get lvl 99er. Here is what I wear with her and what are her skills/damage:

Skills:
    20 Fire Bolt
    20 Fire Ball
    10 Fire Mastery

20 Blizzard
    20 Glacial Spike
    7 Ice Blast (last points going here)
    1 Cold Mastery

1 in prereqs and wonders

damage numbers:
    Fire Ball 5898 - 6420
    Blizzard 4167 - 4347

Gear:
    Code:
    Nightwing's with +5 facet (+15%cd total, -3 res)
    Hoto 37
    Spirit
    Upped all res jewel Vipermagi (50 all res total)
    Magefist
    Arach's
    Eth SS Trek's
    2x Soj
    Mara's 29

CTA/Spirit switch

charms:
    3 fireskillers
    3 coldskillers
    3 fire res/fhr SC's
    8 20 life sc's
    Gheed's

Merc has eth 1.07 Insight Giant Thresher, Fortitude AP and Eth Vampire Gaze with IAS jewel. In cube, I have Kelpie for Baal.

For me, Baal at p3 takes some time, but no 2-3 minutes. It takes about 4-5 minutes from me to do whole Baalrun, p1 teleing and waves1-2, p8 rest of the waves and Baal p3.

I like a lot using Blizzard and FB. As CM takes Baal's resists way below zero, you're making more damage to him than LCS shows all the time. Like you, I spam FBs between Blizzards, of course after Static Field. I'm kind of wondering, is it because of your more Fire sided build...

After you have used LR from wand to Baal, I assume his fire res is something like 20 now (assuming that your LR lowers about 30 resists). So, with my damage numbers, my Fire Balls would damage him ~5k each time and with P1, it would take ~100 Fire Balls, before he's dead. I don't remember what is the multiplier for monsters life at P3, but it's a lot more. I don't do maths for Meteor, since I don't have any points in it so I have no idea it's damage.

I noticed, that Fire skillers raise FB (and Meteor) damage much more than Cold skillers do for Blizzard. Of course they're not straight comparable, but still, you benefit more from Fire skillers.

Still, I'm quite confused, how it takes 2-3 minutes from you. :undecided: And, I don't know if this post helps a tiny bit, but I wanted to post some thought :rolleyes:

8. Ugla

Ugla IncGamers Member

Simple advice here:
    Stop doing him on /p8 :grin:
    There is no way a 3k FB could take as long as you describe at /p3.

I also suspect staves only get slvl1 Lower Resistance charges. Make sure you obtain slvl3 charges (wands/daggers/throwing daggers) which grant -41% resists. They can be shopped from clvl94 onward, but sometimes drop from Baal - I got two rare daggers during the Baalathon (500 runs).

Hybrids are weak against Baal compared to single-elementalists, there is no way around it. Meassure the times for:
    Met,FB,FB,FB,Met,..
    Blizz,FB,FB,FB,Blizz..
    and use the one which is faster. And don't forget to static him to 1/2 health first :wink3:

9. handofnaz

Hey Neksja! I was waiting for you to jump in. I've been following your mat thread very closely (and silently) looking to pick up some hints. I actually have it bookmarked, heehee.

I might have accidentally exaggerated my kill time, maybe it was more of 2 mins. Of course this was before I even tried to time the difference between Blizz and Meteor. It's now down to ~1 minute, thank goodness.

I was considering going Fire Bolt the way you did, but realised that I <3 Meteor too much to give it up. No worries, your posts are always helpful, and your thread made for some excellent discourse on the subject of skill allocation.

Ugla, I do not run him on p8! Lol. Admittedly, I used to way back with my Fishy, before I found out about the p3 xp cap. Very sad. Ps, thanks for sharing your encyclopaedic posts in Neksja's thread. Very informative stuff.

No wonder slvl3 charges weren't showing up at Akara's. I've got an slvl2 LR wand for now, it'll have to suffice until I get to 94. If I get to 94.

Tweaked my gear a bit, threw in a ghetto HoTO (read: Occy) and managed to take CM to 17. The verdict? Meteor still wins. Bizarre. On the bright side, Blizzard is even more efficient at brutalising the minions at p8. I'm gonna hold off on investing more points into either tree until I decide which side to finally buff.

Thanks for all the input, everyone. I was completely bummed when I started this thread, but now I feel slightly more reassured about my sorc.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008